Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819 LastLast

Extraordinary Member

Wonder Woman: Black and Gold # 6 Preview
    Writers: Marguerite Sauvage, Liam Sharp, Michael W. Conrad, Christos Gage and Sheena Howard
    Artists: Marguerite Sauvage, Liam Sharp Kevin Maguire and Jamal Campbell

Role Model - Okay for another "Diana inspires someone" story.

The Prophet - heh, Sharp's clearly taking some lessons from Morrison from their time together on GL. Gorgeous art.

A Lesson in Truth - Though this was pretty good. I re-read Cloonan's story from the first issue recently, so interesting to see how the two compare/contrast when not writing together. The goons here were creepy AF.

Attack of the 50-Foot Wonder Woman - Probably my favorite of the bunch for this issue, someone finally does Giganta story role beyond "lady to be punched".

Fresh Air in Philly - Fun Diana/Nubia team-up. Probably also my favorite art here after Sharp's story.

Decent mini overall imo, since there was usually one or two stories from each issue I dug. If I had any complaints, it's nice this series has helped contribute to Nubias current resurgence but a bit disappointing others like Artemis only had one and characters like Cassie/Donna got none.
    Last edited by Gaius; 11-23-2021 at 07:32 AM.

Pretty good issue, but not as good as #5.

"Role Model" - I really liked this one for spotlighting Gloria Steinem who sort of embraced Wonder Woman as the feminist icon. We've seen lots of stories like this, but I can't remember any that used Steinem.

"The Prophet" - I... was a little let down by this one. Liam Sharp's art is impressive as always, but the story wasn't really my cup of tea.

"A Lesson in Truth" - Easily my favorite of these five. I love stories that focus on the message that you can change despite mistakes you've done in the past. It's one of the most Wonder Woman-y themes, and I really felt for this character who we only know for a few pages. Conrad is killing Diana's voice, too. I'm consistently impressed by him and Cloonan.

"Attack of the 50-Foot Wonder Woman" - What is with these anthology comics and a giant Wonder Woman? I recall at least two stories in other anthology books where she grew huge and it's really weird. This one is definitely the best of "Giant WW" stories since it uses Giganta. But I'm also kind of tired of a Giganta who doesn't really have a reason to constantly fight Diana.

"Fresh Air in Philly" - Not a fan. Art was good, and yaaas Nubia, but the story was strange as hell. The Gods concerned over pollution is definitely an interesting concept, but I'm not sure 8 pages or whatever is the place to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post

"Role Model" - I really liked this one for spotlighting Gloria Steinem who sort of embraced Wonder Woman as the feminist icon. We've seen lots of stories like this, but I can't remember any that used Steinem.

"
    Ah, thanks. That's who that character was inspired by, now I feel like an idiot for not realizing while reading.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypo View Post
    That's AMAZING! Look at the tiara, the real metal eagle, the bodice so armored it almost has rivets but it's leather as indicated by the stitching around the buckles and that circle of hair by her forehead contrasting with the jump lines! Not usually a fan of off brand accessorizing, notice how all the iconography is reimagined including the bracelets but this artist sold it!

So Sharp is setting up a new WW story, right?

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    So Sharp is setting up a new WW story, right?
    What I thought, though I know he has his own creator-owned project coming up so probably not for a bit at least.

I recently posted in another thread about how Sharp doesn’t rock my world, but I have to give him kudos for the magnificent, moody artwork in this latest B&G.
    “You see…the rest of them are soldiers. But [Wonder Woman] is an artist.”

I only support the made of clay origin.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post

I don’t think this is supposed to be Steinem. More like an amalgam of women activists (including Steinem.)
    “You see…the rest of them are soldiers. But [Wonder Woman] is an artist.”

I only support the made of clay origin.

There is something about The Prophet that catches me, art and words.
    I would have preferred it not to be Athena but another sea goddess in the last story.
    A Lesson in Truth is simply wonderful, one of my favorites without a doubt.
    Giganta is a lovable character for me. This story did her justice.
    I'm really going to miss this collection, it has exceeded my expectations for these kinds of anthologies where mediocrity tends to prevail. I want more Black & Gold.

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastianne View Post
    There is something about The Prophet that catches me, art and words.
    I would have preferred it not to be Athena but another sea goddess in the last story.
    A Lesson in Truth is simply wonderful, one of my favorites without a doubt.
    Giganta is a lovable character for me. This story did her justice.
    I'm really going to miss this collection, it has exceeded my expectations for these kinds of anthologies where mediocrity tends to prevail. I want more Black & Gold.
    I thought it I misread it at first and assumed it was one of the minor sea goddesses. Rather weird of all the gods to have Poseidon and Athena be in cahoots with one another.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    I thought it I misread it at first and assumed it was one of the minor sea goddesses. Rather weird of all the gods to have Poseidon and Athena be in cahoots with one another.
    That really bothered me so we can keep pretending that it's not Athena but maybe Anfitrite.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    It was super odd to see one of the most important deities in the Wonderverse reduced to a henchman.