Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Default Which City Should Wonder Woman Be Based In?

We all know that Wonder Woman is a globe/universe trotting adventurer who never stays in the same place for long. However it makes sense to give her a home base that could serve as a home away from home.

A few options:

Boston: where the Perez run was set and very few DC heroes operate in real cities.

New York: this is where she was in the Silver Age when she worked in the UN and also during Rucka's run when she was working in the Embassy.

Washington DC: Where the second movie was set and probably the one most of the non-comic reading audience associate her with.

Gateway City: From Byrne's run. It was cool that WW had her own city like Gotham or Metropolis. It also gives writers opportunity to be creative with the city-scapes and atmosphere.

If none of these then where do you think she stays when she's not crime fighting? Does the Hall of Justice or the Watchtower have their own sleeping quarters? What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    If none of these then where do you think she stays when she's not crime fighting? Does the Hall of Justice or the Watchtower have their own sleeping quarters? What do you think?
    Can you clarify to me what "being based in a city" means? Because I definitely don't think the citizens of a city should be counting on Wonder Woman and her family to show up whenever something happens, since Diana is supposed to be in other worlds and dimensions, or in Bialya trying to prevent a war, or in Guatemala trying to create a movement for change.

And why does Diana need a mayor to butt heads with? Why does she need a police chief giving her cases? Why does she need a gang leader always coming back from jail to cause some trouble? Heck, why would Diana dedicate herself to a particular place that isn't following her radical ideals of transformation? A city is just a way to make Diana feel more traditional which is something she should never be. She's here to challenge people and wake up their worn down systems.

I do think Diana should have inspired the Wonder Scouts/ Holliday Girls into creating an alternative community in a giant Commune set around a huge abandoned university campus. This would be a place where people practice
    new lifestyles of their own design, it's a women shelter for them to work through their traumas but also to learn how to defend themselves, it's an arts studio for all kinds of post modern art, it's a sports center for the most excellent and brave athletes, it's a free thinking lecture/ debate Amphitheatre. It's everything that makes you feel alive and new and helps you do the things you never thought you could do. It's a guide for the rest of the world, including western civilization.

I would love to have this in Tunisia, a country in northern africa with beautiful vistas that has recently become democratic though still has a lot of gender inequality. It's the perfect location to come into contact with Africa, Europe and the Middle East, which I think is awesome for Diana.
    Last edited by Alpha; 09-30-2021 at 01:28 AM.

We all know that Wonder Woman is a globe/universe trotting adventurer who never stays in the same place for long. However it makes sense to give her a home base that could serve as a home away from home.

A few options:

Boston: where the Perez run was set and very few DC heroes operate in real cities.

New York: this is where she was in the Silver Age when she worked in the UN and also during Rucka's run when she was working in the Embassy.

Washington DC: Where the second movie was set and probably the one most of the non-comic reading audience associate her with.

Gateway City: From Byrne's run. It was cool that WW had her own city like Gotham or Metropolis. It also gives writers opportunity to be creative with the city-scapes and atmosphere.

^^^torn between Boston/Washington/Gateway. All 3 have so much potential.

And yeah, WW is def. not a static character but a home city is still feasible. It’s kind of…like a flight attendant? Those ppl travel constantly but have places they live. A loose knit supporting cast could still be established. Who waters Diana’s plants while she’s away? Is she cool w. her neighbors? Where’s WW eat and shop and who does she associate w. when she’s in town? Who picks up Diana’s mail and what about that mysterious packet that arrived in the mail and been sitting in in that person’s apartment causing general weirdness to ensue?

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    I do think Diana should have inspired the Wonder Scouts/ Holliday Girls into creating an alternative community in a giant Commune set around a huge abandoned university campus. This would be a place where people practice
    new lifestyles of their own design, it's a women shelter for them to work through their traumas but also to learn how to defend themselves, it's an arts studio for all kinds of post modern art, it's a sports center for the most excellent and brave athletes, it's a free thinking lecture/ debate Amphitheatre. It's everything that makes you feel alive and new and helps you do the things you never thought you could do. It's a guide for the rest of the world, including western civilization.
    ^^^thats an interesting notion.
    Of course, comics being comics, there’d be some shenanigans going on, w. some shady character(s) providing financial support maybe, or one of the members of this commune not being who they claim and or trying to start a splinter group. On the positive side possibly introduce a character at rock bottom and watch their progress as they get back on their feet, gain confidence and life skills, find their calling and then go back out into the world. But I digress; again, interesting notion.

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    ^^^thats an interesting notion.
    Of course, comics being comics, there’d be some shenanigans going on, w. some shady character(s) providing financial support maybe, or one of the members of this commune not being who they claim and or trying to start a splinter group. On the positive side possibly introduce a character at rock bottom and watch their progress as they get back on their feet, gain confidence and life skills, find their calling and then go back out into the world. But I digress; again, interesting notion.
    Yup, we could see so many classic WW moments in there. And it's a place she would naturally value as the embodiment of everything she stands for and the biggest source of pride and proof of her success. This is where we could see Diana actually make a change in the world. And it would naturally create sources of conflict and threats Diana would have to defend them from. It could be the habitat for her supporting cast like people wanted, since everyone that has ever been touched by Diana's care would potentially choose to go live there.

I forgot to mention that it would also be where the Wonder Scouts/ Holliday Girls keep dangerous artifacts they collected from adventures with Diana.

And it's something no other Superhero has. The closest there is would be Krakoa, but that's a closed off place, which is the opposite of what I'm proposing.
    Last edited by Alpha; 09-30-2021 at 02:05 AM.

Boston followed by DC.

Yup, we could see so many classic WW moments in there. And it's a place she would naturally value as the embodiment of everything she stands for and the biggest source of pride and proof of her success. This is where we could see Diana actually make a change in the world. And it would naturally create sources of conflict and threats Diana would have to defend them from. It could be the habitat for her supporting cast like people wanted, since everyone that has ever been touched by Diana's care would potentially choose to go live there.
    ^^^great character development potential there!

I forgot to mention that it would also be where the Wonder Scouts/ Holliday Girls keep dangerous artifacts they collected from adventures with Diana.
    ^^^oh I like that a lot! There’s always great fun to be had w. a collection of oddities.

And it's something no other Superhero has. The closest there is would be Krakoa, but that's a closed off place, which is the opposite of what I'm proposing.
    ^^^yeah, there’s no way in Hawman’s Seven Hells I’d want Diana associated w. anything like Krakoa.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

A few options:

The Embassy was not in DC?

I'd start in Boston, then use the city wherever the Embassy is, then maybe Gateway as the most common.

Watchtower does have a sleeping quarter. Superman and Wonder Woman used it for more than sleeping.

I love the old DC Comics superhero trope of each hero having "their own" fictional city where they can have a home (away from home) and a supporting cast. I wish that Marston had created a fictional city for Diana (like Supes' Metropolis, Bats' Gotham, and the Flash's Central City, and Green Lantern's Coast City). I am all for giving Wonder Woman a city of her own!

Incredible Member

On behalf of flyover country it would be nice to have a hero in the heartland.
    True, we have got Superman in Kansas, but we are greedy: we'll take Wonder Woman too.
    Yes I know only the TV show really plays up Big Blue's ties to Kansas. But take it from me people
    in Kansas are VERY proud of the Superman connection, even if in the DCU it is still Metropolis.
    Wherever Metropolis really is anyway. It is like Gotham City, which is somewhere in New Jersey.
    The point is that you can take Superman out of Kansas, you can't take Kansas out of Superman.
    Back to the main subject at hand. Alternate suggested landings for Diana:

Kansas City. Wonderful barbecue, decent orchestra, plus the Negro League Museum and
    Jazz Museum. Have I mentioned the great Jazz, Blues music it is famous for? Diana will have a great time.

Denver. Great fresh air, close to decent skiing, inefficient city government so there is that.

Phoenix, Albuquerque, Santa Fe, Salt Lake City, Las Vegas would all be great places too.
    Last edited by RobinGA; 09-30-2021 at 11:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by HestiasHearth View Post
    …I wish that Marston had created a fictional city for Diana (like Supes' Metropolis, Bats' Gotham, and the Flash's Central City, and Green Lantern's Coast City). I am all for giving Wonder Woman a city of her own!
    ^^^reading this, I thought to myself, “huh”.

For some reason I always just assumed Gateway had been created by Marston.

Google tells me it first appeared in Showcase 60, a Spectre story, in 1966? And it was home to Spectre and the original Mr. Terrific? Color me surprised af!

I liked Gateway and the New York embassy but she belongs in D.C.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

I prefer she just stays in D.C.

I will say it before. Gateway City. Have it be actually Gateway. Where it's a mix of both magically and human's living. Heck it can be in D.C but there could be a mythical city within D.C without people knowing it. Diana's home can be at the city of it

A few options:

Did they change the terms/classification when I wasn’t looking? The 70s are the Bronze Age, no?

I vote for D.C.
    “You see…the rest of them are soldiers. But [Wonder Woman] is an artist.”

I only support the made of clay origin.

I’m into her having her own iconic city and I’ve been having fun developing what I think that city should be.