Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How would you feel if Scarface became a supernatural character?

I honestly have always seen Scarface as a spirit possessed doll even if Zatanna says other wise I've always suspected Scarface is a spirit that possesses a doll and uses it to influence people. I mean my main theory is that the spirit can come and go when it wants and Zatanna misread what she was sensing from the dummy. I think a good story arc would be for Deadman to show up help Batman with a random case then Scarface turns up and Deadman sees another spirit hiding nearby and it's revealed Scarface is a vengeful evil spirit of a gangster. I also like this idea as it adds to the ventriloquist especially if in life Scarface was a bully and in death he takes advantage of Arnold's own mental illness. I think that'd expanding on Scarface like that would be cool especially if he had history with Cyrus Gold aka Solomon Grundy.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Not into it because I Am Suicide already showed how Scarface work if it's just in Arnold's head. He doesn't need the puppet, just a sock puppet, or even, just his palm, and it's scary. I love it.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

How would you feel if Scarface became a supernatural character?
    Not good. Despite our theories, we're not supposed to know for certain how Scarface speaks.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

I have vague memories of a female Ventriloquist who does indeed have an independent supernatural puppet. She was pretty cool. I'd keep Arnold Wesker and Scarface ambiguous and use her again. I think she appeared in Gail Simones run of Batgirl

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Nightwing View Post
    I have vague memories of a female Ventriloquist who does indeed have an independent supernatural puppet. She was pretty cool. I'd keep Arnold Wesker and Scarface ambiguous and use her again. I think she appeared in Gail Simones run of Batgirl
    Oh. Shauna Belzer and Freddie.
    I don't remember if Freddie's independently supernatural or it's Shauna who has the powers, but I like that he's like a pervy man in a tiny puppet body. Makes it darkly funny.

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    Oh. Shauna Belzer and Freddie.
    I don't remember if Freddie's independently supernatural or it's Shauna who has the powers, but I like that he's like a pervy man in a tiny puppet body. Makes it darkly funny.
    She is psychic I believe that's how she controlled the puppet.

I'd love it if Scarface was a cursed doll, frankly.

Extraordinary Member

The implication remaining a possibility is something I like, as I like all three Ventriloquists.

But I like it being an implication rather than a fact.

Someone should go extra creepy and have their be a “Scarface” puppet show on TV opposite the Grey Ghost from when Bruce was a child... or maybe make the original Scarface a joke villain on the Grey Ghost show that ended in tragedy in a creepy way that might imply the doll is haunted.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Quote Originally Posted by Castiel View Post
    She is psychic I believe that's how she controlled the puppet.
    Okay well then, I think I'd like for each Ventriloquist to be different. Keep Arnold a non powered human, Shauna's the psychic, and Peyton... I don't know anything about her.

Also I think Shauna's puppet is Ferdie not Freddie now that I think about it. I remember Simone said people got it wrong all the time... yeah it's Ferdie.

It would put an interesting twist on things, but....

Batman rogues have always been more psychologically disturbed than magical, and I kind of like having this timid guy becoming something ruthless through the doll controlling him. More interesting,

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Nostalgia View Post
    It would put an interesting twist on things, but....

Batman rogues have always been more psychologically disturbed than magical, and I kind of like having this timid guy becoming something ruthless through the doll controlling him. More interesting,
    This. I like it being more something in his mind. Even if you destroy the doll, he can never escape the influence of Scarface because it's something deeply lodged in his own cracked psyche.

I prefer when it's unknown if Scarface is "real" or if Wesker really is "controlling" the puppet. I believe there have been some instances where Wesker has been knocked out, but the puppet keeps going. Just adds to the creep factor of the doll. In short, I like the ambiguity behind their connection, and I'd prefer that it remained ambiguous.
    Last edited by Citizen Kane; 03-17-2021 at 02:09 PM.

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

It's implied that Scarface is of supernatural origin due to being made of wood from a cursed tree on Blackgate Island.

However it was not explicitly said because the ambiguity of whether or not Arnold Wesker is controlling Scarface or the other way around is basicially the main reason why the character is so endearing.
    Last edited by Timothy Hunter; 03-16-2021 at 05:07 PM.

Incredible Member

I agree that I want Wesker powering Scarface, not magic or a demon. Not that interested in seeing Batman fight Chucky or Annabelle.

Quote Originally Posted by hairys View Post
    I agree that I want Wesker powering Scarface, not magic or a demon. Not that interested in seeing Batman fight Chucky or Annabelle.
    Reading this, it got me to thinking - how many of Batman's enemies have gone from unpowered to powered? Ivy, of course. And I think I read Harley has some enhancements now? Clayface, technically, though that was a long time ago. Killer Moth (though again, I'm uncertain of current status quo).

I also vote against any supernatural aspect of Scarface.