Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Of all the fan-favorite villains in Batman's extensive supporting cast, what made Killer Croc the one you wanted to focus on?

Ennis: I pretty much despise Batman’s rogues gallery. They put me in mind of a bunch of multicolored idiots tittering and twitching as they try to get into a nightclub, with the biggest, baddest, black-clad bouncer on the door ensuring they’ll never succeed. The Joker is the worst of the lot, probably the most annoying character in all of the comics. I quite enjoyed taking a buzz-saw to them in the first couple of issues. Croc is a bit more physically formidable but is just as lacking in credibility when it comes to taking on Batman. Something in his origin did, however, inspire a new character that I thought might actually be worthy of Batman’s attention.
    https://www.cbr.com/garth-ennis-batm...interview/amp/

Glad to see Ennis hasn’t lost his edge definitely recommend checking out that interview for a laugh. Don’t know if I’ll bother with the series given how open Ennis is about having just written this for a friend/paycheck, and there’s so much Batman content that you need to be great in order to get me to check you out, but I will keep an eye on this.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

There is also an interview with Sharp: https://www.cbr.com/liam-sharp-batma...-dc-interview/

As for it being worth checking out or not I don't think that Ennis would just phone it in considering that they are now talking about it like a tribute to Dillon. And Sharp is going to kill on it either way.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    https://www.cbr.com/garth-ennis-batm...interview/amp/

Glad to see Ennis hasn’t lost his edge definitely recommend checking out that interview for a laugh. Don’t know if I’ll bother with the series given how open Ennis is about having just written this for a friend/paycheck, and there’s so much Batman content that you need to be great in order to get me to check you out, but I will keep an eye on this.
    Not liking that Ennis thinks of Batman as a thug (rich guy who beats up poor people or mentally ill) but on the other hand he likes Mad Love and Year One. Me as well and I love PunisherMax (but not Marvel Knights Punisher).

I wish this were about Killer Croc and not inspired by Croc and I prefer WW Rebirth Liam Sharpe not Dave McKean/Green Lantern Liam Sharpe.

I'm just buying this for the art.

That Batcave looks very H.R. Giger.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

I'm more sold on Sharps' art than Ennis's writing, but the idea of seeing the Joker gruesomely killed by this creature is amusing.

Didn't Garth Ennis write Batman before?
    In Hitman or something else?
    This cant be his first crack at it and for Killer croc too. Well I guess he kinda put down Killer croc as well
    What's the point of this book to make an OC

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

I absolutely love Ennis, he's on the Moore/Morrison level of top writers in this medium, but I don't know how excited to be about this.

It seems it's about a Croc-like villain character? If so, then I might be interested I guess, since there won't be some wholesale reimagine of Croc (since like the other rogues, Ennis doesn't think much of him either).

It will be really interesting to see if Ennis (now) intends to have some unique sort of Ennisesque voice for his Batman (or simply use his previous 90s voice from Hitman/LOTDK, or instead more or less recycle a voice he's used for Hitman/Punisher/etc). Batman is just a different beast than other Ennis protagonists (unless maybe Ennis tries to tell us that's not true!).
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 05-27-2021 at 08:33 AM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nite-Wing View Post
    Didn't Garth Ennis write Batman before?
    In Hitman or something else?
    This cant be his first crack at it and for Killer croc too. Well I guess he kinda put down Killer croc as well
    What's the point of this book to make an OC
    Yes, both in Hitman and also 3 issues of Legends of the Dark Knight. In the latter, I'd have given his story a 7/10 or so. His Batman didn't really stand out (but was adequate), and he wrote a good Alfred, a weird comedy/horror villain that was decent, and a couple of very good new characters that were PIs.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    I absolutely love Ennis, he's on the Moore/Morrison level of top writers in this medium, but I don't know how excited to be about this.
    Yeah, he did a poor job selling this comic in that interview above, so I have doubts about the quality of this, too. I might get just for the art and/or if I were a huge Ennis fan.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

He might be making a new character just so he has complete say in how the character acts. Even as an elseworld, that would offer a bit more freedom than using Croc. I can already tell I might not be wild about this Bruce, but the art is enticing.

I wonder if Catwoman will be killed along with the rest, one of the variants shows her eyes crossed out along with the other villains but that may just be for the cover. And I'm not sure if his dislike for the Bat-rogues applies to her, because she showed up in Hitman didn't she?

Phantasm also looks to be in the group, which is weird to see her freely associate with the Joker but I'm guessing Ennis doesn't give a **** haha. If it wasn't just Sharp throwing her in there as an Easter Egg.

Ennis literally says he hasn’t bothered to keep up with Batman since the 90s and he doesn’t give a **** about what Batman looks like now lmao, this is basically him just writing the 80s/90s Batman he remembers. It’s all in the interview, check it out for laughs.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Maybe the villain is Killer Croc's mom.

It’s secretly just a DC vs Mortal Kombat sequel, it was Reptile the whole time.

"It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    It’s secretly just a DC vs Mortal Kombat sequel, it was Reptile the whole time.

Crossover confirmed!!!

Ennis: I pretty much despise Batman’s rogues gallery.

They put me in mind of a bunch of multicolored idiots tittering and twitching as they try to get into a nightclub, with the biggest, baddest, black-clad bouncer on the door ensuring they’ll never succeed.

The Joker is the worst of the lot, probably the most annoying character in all of the comics.