Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Yeah, Ennis comments on Batman and his rouges gallery are pretty funny.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

I feel like Sharp has different feelings, because they all look great with his art. It's definitely going to be a mixed bag of cool looking designs right before they all get massacred lol. The Joker comments in particular are funny and I'm expecting that issue to be wicked cathartic.

Can't really think of a group of villains who collectively deserve this more than Batman's rogues though lol.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by I'm a Fish View Post
    Yeah, Ennis comments on Batman and his rouges gallery are pretty funny.
    Yeah, Ennis hasn't changed a bit. Hasn't even read Batman much or at all in 00s. Something ironic in this day & age about one of the best comic book writers hating superheroes.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Can't really think of a group of villains who collectively deserve this more than Batman's rogues though lol.
    They are the only rogues gallery that even the general public can name most members of. It's lonely at the top.

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    They are the only rogues gallery that even the general public can name most members of. It's lonely at the top.
    I meant more their actions in-universe (especially the Joker).

It might be hard not to cheer for this monster, whatever it is.
    Last edited by SiegePerilous02; 05-28-2021 at 07:22 AM.

I meant more their actions in-universe (especially the Joker).

It might be hard not to cheer for this monster, whatever it is.
    It's hard not to hate on the Joker in the year 2021 but Ennis's particular phrasing like "multi-colored idiots" was what put me off, considering the villains were specifically made flashy and diva-esque to represent "The Other" and to tap into the fears and prejudices one may harbor of anyone who is othered. Of all the things to criticize about the Joker, bashing his appearance is incredibly shallow.

It's hard not to hate on the Joker in the year 2021 but Ennis's particular phrasing like "multi-colored idiots" was what put me off, considering the villains were specifically made flashy and diva-esque to represent "The Other" and to tap into the fears and prejudices one may harbor of anyone who is othered. Of all the things to criticize about the Joker, bashing his appearance is incredibly shallow.
    Do you mean Ennis designed them that way for this story or they are "othered" in general? Because they are garish supervillains who hurt and kill people, they aren't any different than other rogues gallery in that regard, they are just more high profile. Their otherness doesn't excuse them from getting away with heinous stuff.

And Ennis's stance is hardly unexpected. He isn't wild about the genre in general and costumed villains who keep escaping to pile up bodies with no repercussions beyond an Arkham stay are the tropes he would hate. And him giving them their cumappance in one story isn't going to hurt them in the long run

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    Yeah, Ennis hasn't changed a bit. Hasn't even read Batman much or at all in 00s. Something ironic in this day & age about one of the best comic book writers hating superheroes.
    I like that he makes us all sound like crack-heads for liking these characters.

It can be both amusing and kind of annoying. I don't care for how he views Bruce as a character. "thug who beats up the mentally ill and poor" is always eye roll inducing and lazy, as Batman's rogues, who he spends the majority of his time fighting, are neither realistically mentally ill or hurting for cash. But him not hiding he doesn't give a **** is a bit funny too, and his anti-Joker stance is pretty great.

I'd probably be more excited for this if it was this premise and Sharp's art paired with another writer...but I guess that's pointless considering this is a very Ennis premise lol. Plus can't be surprised DC would jump at the chance to slap "From the creator of the Boys" on a hardcover Batman book.

Do you mean Ennis designed them that way for this story or they are "othered" in general? Because they are garish supervillains who hurt and kill people, they aren't any different than other rogues gallery in that regard, they are just more high profile. Their otherness doesn't excuse them from getting away with heinous stuff.

And Ennis's stance is hardly unexpected. He isn't wild about the genre in general and costumed villains who keep escaping to pile up bodies with no repercussions beyond an Arkham stay are the tropes he would hate. And him giving them their cumappance in one story isn't going to hurt them in the long run
    Then criticize those things with context. Just bashing their appearances without context is weak at best, when I feel there are substantive criticisms he could've made about The Joker instead. Then again, it's Ennis and his trademark OTT hate for the genre that's reaching cartoonish levels now.

Only thing Ennis hates more than capes is capelovers lmao. He’s an edgy little wanker and you either love him or hate him for it. Most of the time I’m amused but I have been put off a few times where I’ve felt like he’s all edge and no point (looking at you Crossed).
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Only thing Ennis hates more than capes is capelovers lmao. He’s an edgy little wanker and you either love him or hate him for it. Most of the time I’m amused but I have been put off a few times where I’ve felt like he’s all edge and no point (looking at you Crossed).
    Having read PunisherMax and followed it up with Crossed and absolutely hated it. Just seemed like gore/shocks and no point to any of it. Slightly off topic but has Ennis ever written about Ireland or Belfast or IRA politics? Did he ever offer his opinion on those subjects in an interview? Seems like a natural fit him writing it into his stories.

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    Having read PunisherMax and followed it up with Crossed and absolutely hated it. Just seemed like gore/shocks and no point to any of it. Slightly off topic but has Ennis ever written about Ireland or Belfast or IRA politics? Did he ever offer his opinion on those subjects in an interview? Seems like a natural fit him writing it into his stories.
    An IRA splinter faction is the focus in an arc of Punisher Max and I think the only thing Ennis hates more than the IRA are Irish-Americans who gave money to the IRA.
    Last edited by Gaius; 05-29-2021 at 08:10 AM.

Incredible Member

I think that's an incredible stretch considering how multi-colored many heroes are (take Robin, for example) and also how so many comic book characters were created by Jews.

Quote Originally Posted by hairys View Post
    I think that's an incredible stretch considering how multi-colored many heroes are (take Robin, for example) and also how so many comic book characters were created by Jews.
    Also that the rogues are mostly comprised of white men who quite literally get away with murder repeatedly with nothing more than occasional slaps on the wrist.