Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

The Phoenix should serve as the foundation of mutant religion, not something to be won by superheroes in a tournament.

-Pav, who appreciates Morrison's WHR...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

Astonishing Member gonnagiveittoya's Avatar

Tbh this still isn't as bad as how the movies treated the Phoenix

BANNED

The movies were truer to the original origin than anything else, ackshually.

The Phoenix would be a manifestation of Jean's power if the idea of utterly powerful women didn't scare some dudes.

That fear, or revulsion, is pretty much how we got the retcon and how Jean is walking around Phoenixless today.

Lol this topic gets me riled up because it's a bunch of BS tied up in terrible shipping and dudes being insecure about their favorite hero in comparison to his love interest.

FREE JEAN GREY
    Last edited by Kitty&Piotr<3; 03-12-2021 at 06:50 PM.

I hate it, why does Thor even need the Phoenix he's already a god

Agreed with Kitty & Piotr.

Writers have messed with the PF before and made it a tired meme but the original idea for it made the X-Men unique. It's a psychic entity that sought female (mostly) hosts and allowed comics a feminine cosmic hero.

And Aaron... took that, completely missed the entire point of it being a device used for female empowerment and then attached it to a male character unrelated to the franchise.

Ugh is right.

I feel like I need to say this. Just because you have a mutant parent doesn't mean you are a mutant

Fantastic Member

If Aaron leaves this retcon in place, I suspect it will go like the Eternals' mass suicide: he'll do nothing with it, everyone else will ignore the retcon, and the next creative will discard it.

Aaron's going to Aaron. Yeah, this is trash-tier writing. My question is why has Marvel Editorial allowed it? Come to think of it, there was that anti-semitic window in a Hulk Book too that slipped through somehow. I wonder, is anyone actually in charge of filtering ideas, or do people do whatever they want?
    Last edited by Celgress; 03-12-2021 at 11:05 PM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

someone at Marvel REALLY hates the Dark Phoenix Saga and Jean Grey...

how can you ruin one of the best classic comicbook stories of all time like that? I don't get it. Why?! Really why?!?!?!

Aaron just stop!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Outburstz View Post
    I feel like I need to say this. Just because you have a mutant parent doesn't mean you are a mutant
    It would if you have X-Gene especially if it's active...
    Last edited by Micabe; 03-12-2021 at 11:42 PM.

Embrace the fluff FluffyCyclopsRLZ's Avatar

Poor Rachel, lol.

Aaron needs to take things a step further and reveal that the prehistoric redhead is in fact Jean Grey, who was sent back in time to seduce Odin.

Extraordinary Member

Gaea is a far more interesting lore component for Thor(sadly not a lot of writers make good stories based on that), and JA thought he had a freaking brilliant idea to swap her for "space fire chicken that has no real connection to Thor what so ever other than being generally more well-known."

Astonishing Member

One could just about draw some value from an ancient Phoenix host being involved in the events of the First Hosts visit (but it should be Buri, not Odin); but no-one benefits from this retcon. Not Thor’s fans, not Avengers fans, not X-Fans and certainly not continuity or secret history fans.

This reeks of Aaron wanting to make Thor a demigod rather than a god, because everything he’s written since Gorr has been how gods are bastards and that Thor should be ashamed to be one. It’s tiresome, if only because this is not a genre for that kind of philosophical nuance, and certainly the wrong writer.

That said, Panther kicking the crap out of Wolverine has my full approval

Quote Originally Posted by MaximoffTrash View Post
    Gaea is a far more interesting lore component for Thor(sadly not a lot of writers make good stories based on that), and JA thought he had a freaking brilliant idea to swap her for "space fire chicken that has no real connection to Thor what so ever other than being generally more well-known."
    Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    Aaron's going to Aaron. Yeah, this is trash-tier writing. My question is why has Marvel Editorial allowed it? Come to think of it, there was that anti-semitic window in a Hulk Book too that slipped through somehow. I wonder, is anyone actually in charge of filtering ideas, or do people do whatever they want?
    Gaea as Thor's mother is closer to actual mythology (not that the comics have to follow actual historical mythology) but I agree that it makes Thor's lore more interesting to be Gaea's son. I absolutely hate this storyline of making the Phoenix his mother (if this comes to pass). I generally hate familial retcons for the pure sake of nothing else but soap-opera drama. Angela revealed to be Odin and Freya's long-lost daughter? Loved that storyline and loved the character. Vulcan/Gabriel appearing as the long lost Summers brother? - didn't love the character but can get behind the reveal. I disliked the Wanda/Pietro retcon (non-mutant, non-Magneto children) but at least I understand why this was done in terms of a business sense.

This though - I don't know whom this is supposed to serve? Not Avengers fans, not X-Men fans, not Thor fans. I won't say the Phoenix belongs to the X-Men, but this greatly affects its lore with the mutants and with Jean Grey (who is supposed to be the one true avatar for the Phoenix). How did this get through editorial??