Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Actually, WB can't straight up make a movie of Icon because they don't own the character.

He's owned by Milestone Media. If Milestone don't agree to it and if it's not done on their terms, the movie can't be made.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Actually, WB can't straight up make a movie of Icon because they don't own the character.

He's owned by Milestone Media. If Milestone don't agree to it and if it's not done on their terms, the movie can't be made.
    That just takes money and you have to spend money to make money. WB has wasted huge amounts already on various DC projects.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by regnak View Post
    You aren’t making much sense. They could have made an Icon movie which would be something new and different. Instead they will probably screw Superman up again but this time they will cry racism to defend their bungling. Blaming white heroes? Uh because they aren’t real LOL. All the suits need to do is make use of characters they already have but do like the MCU does with their main characters and make them look like they stepped off of the comic pages.

Again since you never addressed it if the MCU was run by the WB suits they would have just race bent a white character instead of making BP. Would you make that trade? I wouldn’t
    How am I not making sense? You're the one who seems to blame racebending for PoC heroes from thr comics not getting adapted, when nothing seems to indicate that.

And your question about the MCU doesn't make sense. The MCU doesn't always have the most accurate depictions either. Just look at Hank Pym & Janet van Dyne.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    How am I not making sense? You're the one who seems to blame racebending for PoC heroes from thr comics not getting adapted, when nothing seems to indicate that.

And your question about the MCU doesn't make sense. The MCU doesn't always have the most accurate depictions either. Just look at Hank Pym & Janet van Dyne.
    It is simple logic.
    There are a limited number of movies. The WB is not going to go much below the % of the population in white led movies if they go below it at all. So over 60% can be expected to have white leads. Every movie with a race bent character takes a part of the remaining %.

And I was talking about race bending a white character instead of making BP because that is what the people running the WB would do and you didn’t address that yet again.

It is simple logic.
    There are a limited number of movies. The WB is not going to go much below the % of the population in white led movies if they go below it at all. So over 60% can be expected to have white leads. Every movie with a race bent character takes a part of the remaining %.
    Wow. Just...wow.
    Last Read: Aquaman & The Flash: Voidsong

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Geiger, Green Arrow, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Thundercats, Titans

Ultimate Member

It is simple logic.

And I was talking about race bending a white character instead of making BP because that is what the people running the WB would do and you didn’t address that yet again.
    I didn't address it because I can't be sure it's true. You're just saying it is. It's nore likely your whole percentage idea is what's keeping PoC heroes out of movies

Quote Originally Posted by Noodle View Post
    Because the casting directors felt the people that were hired for those roles were the best fit for them.

The new season of Titans hasn't even aired yet and you're already dismissing the actor that's playing Tim before even seeing how he'll do in the role just because of how he looks. That right there is exactly why diversity needs to be normalized.
    Proper diversity. Not these forced hand me downs! This is the problem i have with the current diversity push of Hollywood, they give us White people’s hand me downs instead of our own things. Instead of promoting actual POC characters we get race swaps instead. Instead of adapting African, Asian, Native American stories/folklore and character, we get European hand me downs and are told to deal with it! Sorry but Cyborg, Katana, Blue Beetle, Static, John Stewart, Bumblebee, Vixen, Black Lightning, Atom, Jessica Cruz, the Shazamily…etc getting attention is far more meaningful than what they’re doing with Supegirl/Batgirl/Hawkman/Cyclone…etc! More of the former and less of the latter!

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think her red hair is probably the most important physical feature to get right.
    I don't think she's going to dye her hair, or wear a wig, or have her hair colored in editing with CG. Just like how Kara is a brunette in Flash movie now, gonna have to let go of comic book accurate hair and/or eye color.

Forced diversity is a myth. People always say "create new characters" but do those characters get support? If a minor DC PoC hero got their movie before a White hero like Barbara Gordon, I'd bet people would complain about that too.
    Steel, new Blue Beetle, Naomi, Cass Cain, Jessica Cruz. Yep, there's fan support.

Quote Originally Posted by Samm View Post
    Proper diversity. Not these forced hand me downs! This is the problem i have with the current diversity push of Hollywood, they give us White people’s hand me downs instead of our own things. Instead of promoting actual POC characters we get race swaps instead. Instead of adapting African, Asian, Native American stories/folklore and character, we get European hand me downs and are told to deal with it! Sorry but Cyborg, Katana, Blue Beetle, Static, John Stewart, Bumblebee, Vixen, Black Lightning, Atom, Jessica Cruz, the Shazamily…etc getting attention is far more meaningful than what they’re doing with Supegirl/Batgirl/Hawkman/Cyclone…etc! More of the former and less of the latter!
    Agreed with this strongly ~ I still think Steel deserves a second chance on film (love that he's finally on TV though), I'm still a bit disappointed that Blue Beetle series fell though (remember that?), and for much as I enjoyed the show Black Lightning deserves a movie.
    Static luckily is getting a movie, very excited about that (hoping it's a theatrical and not straight to streaming).

I think for ever white superhero movie they should make one poc superhero movie with no racebending. That would get my support.

Ultimate Member

That just takes money and you have to spend money to make money. WB has wasted huge amounts already on various DC projects.
    See, this is why I think is why they 'race bent' Babs in her upcoming movie.

WB wants to be seen as diverse, but at the same time, they don't want to take any real chances whatsoever. Hence why Harley was surrounded by a minority supporting cast, yet got all the focus.

The illusion of being progressive while using an already popular, well known character.

So they use the most well known Batgirl, tweak her a little bit and hope that's enough.

But really, they went with the least compelling of all the Batgirls, and I expect the result will be underwhelming.

Her origin for fighting crime varies, but is never that compelling.

Her Dad won't let her be a cop? There are hundreds of other police departments out there.

Fangirl worship of Batman? Punching criminals seems extreme in that regard.

DC won't take much in the way of risk with this movie, so I wouldn't expect much reward.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Steel, new Blue Beetle, Naomi, Cass Cain, Jessica Cruz. Yep, there's fan support.
    That's good to hear. But half of those you listed are getting projects anyway.

Honestly, do any of you guys have any evidence at all that racebending stops PoC heroes from comics getting adapted? Do you really believe all those heroes would get more projects if WB cast a White actress for Barbara Gordon? Because all I see here is complaining about an adaptation not being White enough

My knee jerk reaction was to frown - I do really enjoy seeing live action adaptations that strongly resemble their comic book counterparts. But WB has done so much “racebending” that it doesn’t bother me that much in the long run - and most, if not all of the race bent character actors have given a strong performance in their roles.I do prefer WB’s approach to this than Marvel’s, where white male characters have gotten the most attention and a few characters have been whitewashed. I’m happy for POC actors to get more work.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    I don't think she's going to dye her hair, or wear a wig, or have her hair colored in editing with CG. Just like how Kara is a brunette in Flash movie now, gonna have to let go of comic book accurate hair and/or eye color.
    Well, there they seem to be deliberately evoking a very different kind of Supergirl (Cir-El) and not trying to make her at all like the traditional Kara Zor-El. Either because of the movies or because of Mellissa Benoist who, to many, is Supergirl.

I'm more or less expecting this to be a traditional Batgirl.

I can't really imagine a Barbara Gordon Batgirl without red hair. Assuming they even bother to adapt the hair coming out of the cowl. She'd just look weird with dark hair.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    See, this is why I think is why they 'race bent' Babs in her upcoming movie.

WB wants to be seen as diverse, but at the same time, they don't want to take any real chances whatsoever. Hence why Harley was surrounded by a minority supporting cast, yet got all the focus.

The illusion of being progressive while using an already popular, well known character.

So they use the most well known Batgirl, tweak her a little bit and hope that's enough.

But really, they went with the least compelling of all the Batgirls, and I expect the result will be underwhelming.

Her origin for fighting crime varies, but is never that compelling.

Her Dad won't let her be a cop? There are hundreds of other police departments out there.

Fangirl worship of Batman? Punching criminals seems extreme in that regard.

DC won't take much in the way of risk with this movie, so I wouldn't expect much reward.
    Batgirl: Year One is one of the best Batgirl stories so they've got a fine blueprint there.
    That's good to hear. But half of those you listed are getting projects anyway.

Honestly, do any of you guys have any evidence at all that racebending stops PoC heroes from comics getting adapted? Do you really believe all those heroes would get more projects if WB cast a White actress for Barbara Gordon? Because all I see here is complaining about an adaptation not being White enough
    Ideally they would.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Well, there they seem to be deliberately evoking a very different kind of Supergirl (Cir-El) and not trying to make her at all like the traditional Kara Zor-El. Either because of the movies or because of Mellissa Benoist who, to many, is Supergirl.

I'm more or less expecting this to be a traditional Batgirl.

I can't really imagine a Barbara Gordon Batgirl without red hair. Assuming they even bother to adapt the hair coming out of the cowl. She'd just look weird with dark hair.

Batgirl: Year One is one of the best Batgirl stories so they've got a fine blueprint there.

Ideally they would.
    They seem to be going forward with some new projects with PoC heroes. Hopefully more come through.

Idk what's happening with John Stewart.