Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

Well, I guess DC is supposedly making a Blue Beetle movie.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Yeah.

When one drills down, you'll find out that human beings are more alike than they are different.

People from economic backgrounds tend to have similar life experiences and have similar outlook on life. Basically, a latino Barbara Gordon with a policeman dad might not necessarily have significantly different perspective from a white one. Not all minorities have problems with policing in the US.

Pop culture and media has unfortunately colored a lot of people's perspective and the similarities between people sometimes gets lost in the discussion.
    Maybe they use this as an opportunity to look into how police have mistreated minorities.

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    If forced diversity is a myth, why are they taking traditionally white characters (Dinah Lance, Tim Drake, Barbara Gordon, Iris West) and making them people of color? Instead of creating new characters or using older, maybe lesser-known diverse characters, they seem to find it easier to race bend an established character, and then pat themselves on the back for their diversity.

And I'd have no problem if a minor PoC hero got a movie before Barbara Gordon. One did- Steel. Sure, it was garbage, but it was made in 1997 (not sure if it came out before or after Batman and Robin, but Barbara was only a sidekick in that movie, and not even really Barbara Gordon). Heck, Black Lightning got his own show, full of racially diverse characters, before this Barbara Gordon show came out.

All I want is a faithful adaptation of Barbara Gordon. The closest we'll probably get is on Titans.

As for new characters getting support- that is on Hollywood. If they choose to, they can spin up the hype machine and take a new character and make them ultra-popular. It seems they may be trying this with Naomi, but we'll see how it goes.
    Other than the exact ethnicity, who says this won't be faithful? She can still be basically the same character.

And those racebending events aren't some kind of "forced diversity" in the negative way you put it. If the DCEU cast everybody accurately to the comics, then 80% of the main characters would probably be White. How is that good for diversity? They came from an era when diversity was actively suppressed yet are still being used now.

It's good you won't get bothered by newer PoC heroes getting the spotlight first. That's great, and I like to hear that. But not everyone does. Heroes like Miles Morales and Ironheart got bashed for taking the spotlight away from older heroes. Even Captain Marvel got massive amounts of sexist backlash. Any attempt at diversity does. Meanwhile Hollywood is still mainly focused on the majority. At what point are people like me, who actually want more diversity, supposed to care about these complaints? Because they come very time.

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    If forced diversity is a myth, why are they taking traditionally white characters (Dinah Lance, Tim Drake, Barbara Gordon, Iris West) and making them people of color?
    Because the casting directors felt the people that were hired for those roles were the best fit for them.

The new season of Titans hasn't even aired yet and you're already dismissing the actor that's playing Tim before even seeing how he'll do in the role just because of how he looks. That right there is exactly why diversity needs to be normalized.
    Last Read: Aquaman & The Flash: Voidsong

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Geiger, Green Arrow, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Thundercats, Titans

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    Maybe they use this as an opportunity to look into how police have mistreated minorities.
    I guess it depends on how they handle it? I mean, her dad is the police commissioner and nominally one of her motivations for becoming Batgirl is because he won't let her join the force.
    Quote Originally Posted by Noodle View Post
    Because the casting directors felt the people that were hired for those roles were the best fit for them.

The new season of Titans hasn't even aired yet and you're already dismissing the actor that's playing Tim before even seeing how he'll do in the role just because of how he looks. That right there is exactly why diversity needs to be normalized.
    On-top of doing better job of getting established diverse characters out there.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I guess it depends on how they handle it? I mean, her dad is the police commissioner and nominally one of her motivations for becoming Batgirl is because he won't let her join the force.
    Maybe she wants to join it in order to modernize it and make it less harsh towards marginalized peoples. Being too pro-police might come off as tone deaf

On-top of doing better job of getting established diverse characters out there.
    Yeah. The ethnicity of the actors doesn't at all affect the quality of the show

Maybe she wants to join it in order to modernize it and make it less harsh towards marginalized peoples. Being too pro-police might come off as tone deaf
    I guess it depends on how they plan to depict the GCPD. I'm assuming this is going to be set in a world with a fairly established Batman and Gordon so they might have cleaned up their act well enough, although I guess I could see Babs feeling like she has a lot to offer to revolutionize and improve the police force but I think it's ultimately going to come down to the values her father instilled into her.
    Yeah. The ethnicity of the actors doesn't at all affect the quality of the show
    At the end of the day what's important is how well they embody the character.

Ultimate Member

I guess it depends on how they plan to depict the GCPD. I'm assuming this is going to be set in a world with a fairly established Batman and Gordon so they might have cleaned up their act well enough, although I guess I could see Babs feeling like she has a lot to offer to revolutionize and improve the police force but I think it's ultimately going to come down to the values her father instilled into her.
    Gotham Police is often portrayed as corrupted by crime, although police racism is technically a separate issue. But maybe it would better serve her character to try to evaluate and stand out from Batman and her dad dealt with crime. It has the potential to offer some dramatic tension. Although Idk how much Batman himself will factor into this

At the end of the day what's important is how well they embody the character.
    Basically. Racebending White characters never really hurt them as far as I can tell

Mighty Member

Amazing people still don’t get it. This is the WB being lazy and having no confidence in their actual diverse characters like Cassandra Cain again. There are only so many movies made and race bending white characters takes chances away from the actual diverse ones from the comics. If the MCU had been run this way someone like Captain America would have been changed instead of having a Black Panther movie and many would never realize what had been lost.

Gotham Police is often portrayed as corrupted by crime, although police racism is technically a separate issue. But maybe it would better serve her character to try to evaluate and stand out from Batman and her dad dealt with crime. It has the potential to offer some dramatic tension. Although Idk how much Batman himself will factor into this
    Her character is, generally, very inspired by Batman and her father.

I think the idea is that Keaton's Batman is going to show up in this and mentor her.
    Basically. Racebending White characters never really hurt them as far as I can tell
    To a certain extent yeah, but I can see where it might come off as inauthentic to a certain extent.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by regnak View Post
    Amazing people still don’t get it. This is the WB being lazy and having no confidence in their actual diverse characters like Cassandra Cain again. There are only so many movies made and race bending white characters takes chances away from the actual diverse ones from the comics. If the MCU had been run this way someone like Captain America would have been changed instead of having a Black Panther movie and many would never realize what had been lost.
    Why do you assume there won't be any PoC heroes from the comics because of this? These comments only come up when racebending happen. But if a bunch of mostly White heroes got projects, would there still be the same outrage for PoC heroes from the comics.

Her character is, generally, very inspired by Batman and her father.

I think the idea is that Keaton's Batman is going to show up in this and mentor her.
    Keaton would be way too old for this Barbara Gordon.

To a certain extent yeah, but I can see where it might come off as inauthentic to a certain extent.
    how?

Why do you assume there won't be any PoC heroes from the comics because of this? These comments only come up when racebending happen. But if a bunch of mostly White heroes got projects, would there still be the same outrage for PoC heroes from the comics.
    This is why I hope WB is still making that Blue Beetle movie.
    Keaton would be way too old for this Barbara Gordon.
    It probably depends on how the Flash movie changes the timeline.
    how?
    I guess because the ethnicity isn't really a factor to the character at all and she'll probably continue to be portrayed traditionally in other adaptions?

Ultimate Member

This is why I hope WB is still making that Blue Beetle movie.
    I think it already has a director.

It probably depends on how the Flash movie changes the timeline.
    That's true. Still, it seems a bit odd to me.

I guess because the ethnicity isn't really a factor to the character at all and she'll probably continue to be portrayed traditionally in other adaptions?
    I guess that could be true. It's not like there's a sudden dearth of White heroes, though. Nor is a character like Batgirl heavily defined by her ethnicity.

Mighty Member

It is a pattern don’t do Icon do a black Superman don’t do Cassandra Cain race bend Barbara Gordon. The MCU way is superior.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by regnak View Post
    It is a pattern don’t do Icon do a black Superman don’t do Cassandra Cain race bend Barbara Gordon. The MCU way is superior.
    When were they going to do an Icon movie in the first place? Was that ever in the cards? And they did Cassandra Cain, but not accurately. You're looking at something that isn't there. And why aren't you blaming all the White heroes in the DCEU for taking away roles from PoC heroes?

And while I agree the MCU is generally better than the DCEU, it's done racebending too

Mighty Member

When were they going to do an Icon movie in the first place? Was that ever in the cards? And they did Cassandra Cain, but not accurately. You're looking at something that isn't there. And why aren't you blaming all the White heroes in the DCEU for taking away roles from PoC heroes?

And while I agree the MCU is generally better than the DCEU, it's done racebending too
    You aren’t making much sense. They could have made an Icon movie which would be something new and different. Instead they will probably screw Superman up again but this time they will cry racism to defend their bungling. Blaming white heroes? Uh because they aren’t real LOL. All the suits need to do is make use of characters they already have but do like the MCU does with their main characters and make them look like they stepped off of the comic pages.

Again since you never addressed it if the MCU was run by the WB suits they would have just race bent a white character instead of making BP. Would you make that trade? I wouldn’t