Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    So what's their excuse for this? More studio mandates?

Uh... this is going to be Barbara Gordon.
    He's saying he hopes Batgirl is done more faithful than Cassandra Cain the other Batgirl

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Doesn't her casting imply we're going to get a hispanic Jim Gordon?
    Not necessarily. He could have a Latina wife.

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    So what's their excuse for this? More studio mandates?
    It's 2021, there doesn't need to be an excuse.

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    Not necessarily. He could have a Latina wife.
    I guess if they want to portray her as biracial, but I don't believe the actress is.

Astonishing Member

Well, at the end of the day, is her being diverse a bigger factor than her ability to portray Barbara Gordon's character? I don't think her race will impact the character at all or try and spin Batgirl as a hispanic character.
    Right but there's an argument to be made that it should (spin Batgirl into a hispanic character). The problem with color-blind casting is that it's "inauthentic". It's one thing to cast anyone as the Little Mermaid, but if Barbara Gordon grew up as a hispanic girl in Gotham City her character would likely be very different. Having a hispanic character playing a character whose caucasian on the inside is kind of not satisfying to both worlds.

That said, I think they did a pretty good job with Black Canary. At her core, BC was the relatively the same person, but they showed how she (and her experiences) would be slightly different as a black woman in Gotham.

Christina Hodson is also clearly familiar with the various source materials, but I do think that when you binge read all the series at once in your own bubble, your take and experiences of the characters would differ.

I do agree that the Cassandra Cain thing was a debacle.

Quote Originally Posted by titanfan View Post
    Right but there's an argument to be made that it should (spin Batgirl into a hispanic character). The problem with color-blind casting is that it's "inauthentic". It's one thing to cast anyone as the Little Mermaid, but if Barbara Gordon grew up as a hispanic girl in Gotham City her character would likely be very different. Having a hispanic character playing a character whose caucasian on the inside is kind of not satisfying to both worlds.

That said, I think they did a pretty good job with Black Canary. At her core, BC was the relatively the same person, but they showed how she (and her experiences) would be slightly different as a black woman in Gotham.

Christina Hodson is also clearly familiar with the various source materials, but I do think that when you binge read all the series at once in your own bubble, your take and experiences of the characters would differ.

I do agree that the Cassandra Cain thing was a debacle.
    I guess there isn't a Latina Batgirl or prominent Batfamily member who is a Latina (other than Renee Montoya, I guess) so there isn't anyone who this would effect.

Ultimate Member

Her experience can be altered enough to where it suits the new actress without changing the basic idea of Barbara Gordon. I don't recall her being a WASP as intrinsic to her character. It's not like she's Black Panther

And Latino isn't even a race, so I'm not sure exactly what people are complaining about.

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    Her experience can be altered enough to where it suits the new actress without changing the basic idea of Barbara Gordon. I don't recall her being a WASP as intrinsic to her character. It's not like she's Black Panther

And Latino isn't even a race, so I'm not sure exactly what people are complaining about.
    Personally I don't see the ethnicity informing the character at all here, I assume they cast her because she tested the best in terms of embodying the role.

I think her red hair is probably the most important physical feature to get right.

Ultimate Member

Personally I don't see the ethnicity informing the character at all here, I assume they cast her because she tested the best in terms of embodying the role.

I think her red hair is probably the most important physical feature to get right.
    She can always get her hair dyed.

Although, is JK Simmons returning for this?

She can always get her hair dyed.
    Exactly .
    Although, is JK Simmons returning for this?
    I have my doubts.

Ultimate Member

Exactly .

I have my doubts.
    Ok, because if he was, then Barbara's ethnicity would be relevant.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

It's not race but it's still an ethnicity and culture that can shape a person's life experience. I still expect it to have a profound influence on the character.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    It's not race but it's still an ethnicity and culture that can shape a person's life experience. I still expect it to have a profound influence on the character.
    I agree. I just don't think lumping all the diverse groups from Central & South American countries together into is fair. No one does that to the USA, for instance.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

I agree. I just don't think lumping all the diverse groups from Central & South American countries together into is fair. No one does that to the USA, for instance.
    What you mean? Foreign countries do that all the time. Every time I visited the Dominican Republic I was seen as a American. It didn't matter who my parents were. That's the experience of a lot ethnic people who visited their family's country.

Quote Originally Posted by titanfan View Post
    I'll give you that. And I ended up enjoying that version of Dinah, after railing about the casting beforehand. Same thing might happen here.

I'm just... I grew up with these characters, you know? I've enjoyed reading them for over 30 years. I just want them to adapt the characters I love faithfully, and not forcibly diversify them just so they can say "Look! We have more black characters!" or "Look, now Batwoman is a black lesbian!". Here's a thought- why not create new characters, invest in them, and let them become popular enough to become adapted? They created characters in recent years like Luke Fox, or John Henry Irons, or Natasha Irons, or even Naomi, for a more recent one, and now they have all had or will have live-action adaptations (they kinda went backwards on Ryan ******** introducing her first in live-action, then putting her into the comics recently). That kind of diversity I can fully get behind.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    If they went with colorblind casting than I don't expect it to impact Barbara Gordon's character that much.

Like, a character like Renee Monotoya I'd expect that to inform the character because she was created that way but I don't really see that happening with Barbara Gordon.

I'm kind of curious if being black will impact Jeffrey Wright's Jim Gordon in Reeve's Batman film.