Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415 LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Batgirl: Year One is one of the best Batgirl stories so they've got a fine blueprint there. .
    Somehow, I don't see them casting Batman and Robin just for Babs' movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    They seem to be going forward with some new projects with PoC heroes. Hopefully more come through.

Idk what's happening with John Stewart.
    John is co-starring in the new Green Lantern Show for HBO Max.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    They could use a Batman already cast.

Quote Originally Posted by 80sbaby View Post
    John is co-starring in the new Green Lantern Show for HBO Max.
    I thought he and Hal weren't in that.

Oops, you're right! I thought it was John but it's actually Simon Baz (BOOOOOOO!!!!)

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Hal and John were suppose to get a buddy film. Who knows if we're still get it.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Maybe they'll use Michael Keaton.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    Hal and John were suppose to get a buddy film. Who knows if we're still get it.
    I keep hearing about that but I haven't seen anything concrete.

That's good to hear. But half of those you listed are getting projects anyway.
    I wouldn't call that a but, I call that some good news.

Honestly, do any of you guys have any evidence at all that racebending stops PoC heroes from comics getting adapted? Do you really believe all those heroes would get more projects if WB cast a White actress for Barbara Gordon? Because all I see here is complaining about an adaptation not being White enough
    Oh no, I'm not the one arguing that racebending stops PoC heroes getting films, that's someone else. I'm just expressing my own hate for race bending and support of actual PoC characters getting projects. It's just what I want to see more of. Like, I have 0 interest in the Abrams and Coates black Superman project, it just loses me on the race bend ~ I'll still watch it and give it a fair shake, but I've no hype for it. But the recently announced Val Zod HBO Max project with Michael B Jordan does have my interest and I'm excited for more news on that.

I'm not trying to change your mind, but I will have to disagree that there's no support for actual PoC heroes getting adapted. The support is there. Whether WB capitalizes on that or just continues to race bend their way to diversity? I know what I'd like to see, but who knows.

Well, there they seem to be deliberately evoking a very different kind of Supergirl (Cir-El) and not trying to make her at all like the traditional Kara Zor-El. Either because of the movies or because of Mellissa Benoist who, to many, is Supergirl.

I'm more or less expecting this to be a traditional Batgirl.

I can't really imagine a Barbara Gordon Batgirl without red hair. Assuming they even bother to adapt the hair coming out of the cowl. She'd just look weird with dark hair.
    You won't have to imagine it ~ you'll be able to see it when the film comes out on streaming more likely than not. And I honestly doubt their decision on movie Kara not being blond had anything to do with the Supergirl show and Benoist.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    I wouldn't call that a but, I call that some good news.
    I just meant that in contrast to your other statement

Oh no, I'm not the one arguing that racebending stops PoC heroes getting films, that's someone else. I'm just expressing my own hate for race bending and support of actual PoC characters getting projects. It's just what I want to see more of. Like, I have 0 interest in the Abrams and Coates black Superman project, it just loses me on the race bend ~ I'll still watch it and give it a fair shake, but I've no hype for it. But the recently announced Val Zod HBO Max project with Michael B Jordan does have my interest and I'm excited for more news on that.

I'm not trying to change your mind, but I will have to disagree that there's no support for actual PoC heroes getting adapted. The support is there. Whether WB capitalizes on that or just continues to race bend their way to diversity? I know what I'd like to see, but who knows.
    That's fine. I'm not necessarily excited about some of these projects myself. I just don't see the point in complaining about racebending. If they still made a new Batgirl movie but she's White, that doesn't help ethnic diversity at all. DC is already making another Batman movie with a White hero we've seen a hundred times. Where's the outrage on behalf of PoC comic heroes there? The only thing I complain about is there not being enough PoC heroes adapted, whether or not White heroes arw racebent. Like what happened to Cyborg, for example. But all these White comics characters are going to be adapted anyway. I'm not upset if some aren't White in live action. That's not the problem here

You won't have to imagine it ~ you'll be able to see it when the film comes out on streaming more likely than not. And I honestly doubt their decision on movie Kara not being blond had anything to do with the Supergirl show and Benoist.
    I don't think it's an impossibility that we won't see red hair in some form in the movie for a few reasons.

I don't think we can rule it out as being at least one factor in the way they're envisioning the movie Supergirl, but I think there's a lot of reasons why the visuals for her are they way they are and eschew so much from the traditional Supergirl look.
    That's fine. I'm not necessarily excited about some of these projects myself. I just don't see the point in complaining about racebending. If they still made a new Batgirl movie but she's White, that doesn't help ethnic diversity at all. DC is already making another Batman movie with a White hero we've seen a hundred times. Where's the outrage on behalf of PoC comic heroes there? The only thing I complain about is there not being enough PoC heroes adapted, whether or not White heroes arw racebent. Like what happened to Cyborg, for example. But all these White comics characters are going to be adapted anyway. I'm not upset if some aren't White in live action. That's not the problem here
    Well, Barbara Gordon's probably going to be white everywhere else so, other than promoting an actress of color, I think that's about it from a diversity standpoint.

I just meant that in contrast to your other statement

There'd be outrage if they whitewashed a poc character, and people are demanding more diversity from WB. The point in complaining about racebanding is that's not how most of us want them to add diversity. If a Cyborg, Black Lightning, Steel, Signal, or Vixen movie was announced I'd be in the theaters excited. But for a black Clark Kent Superman that's a strict "I'll catch it on tv or streaming first". We complain about things we don't like, that's the point of complaining. If you don't understand the point, that's literally all there is to it - people's point in complaining is that they don't like this and want something else.

I don't think it's an impossibility that we won't see red hair in some form in the movie for a few reasons.

I don't think we can rule it out as being at least one factor in the way they're envisioning the movie Supergirl, but I think there's a lot of reasons why the visuals for her are they way they are and eschew so much from the traditional Supergirl look.
    I don't think it's an impossibility, nor do I think we can rule it out - I do think however that it's an improbability and the only reason anyone has to hope for it is simply because they want it to be that way, but it doesn't make it likely. Odds are that Barbara won't be a redhead if her actress isn't white or a natural redhead. I mean, there's plenty of non-white redheads, like Ariana Grande (she natural redhead or just dyed her hair often? Doesn't matter) so it's not impossible. But again, there's no reason to expect it other than just wishing really.

Ultimate Member

Well, Barbara Gordon's probably going to be white everywhere else so, other than promoting an actress of color, I think that's about it from a diversity standpoint.
    It's true that racebending doesn't really promote diversity elsewhere.

There'd be outrage if they whitewashed a poc character, and people are demanding more diversity from WB. The point in complaining about racebanding is that's not how most of us want them to add diversity. If a Cyborg, Black Lightning, Steel, Signal, or Vixen movie was announced I'd be in the theaters excited. But for a black Clark Kent Superman that's a strict "I'll catch it on tv or streaming first". We complain about things we don't like, that's the point of complaining. If you don't understand the point, that's literally all there is to it - people's point in complaining is that they don't like this and want something else.
    Ok, but I'm just not sure why people are complaining as if this some kind of blow to diversity. Because that's what I seem to get from the comments here. My point is this doesn't detract from diversity elsewhere

I don't think it's an impossibility, nor do I think we can rule it out - I do think however that it's an improbability and the only reason anyone has to hope for it is simply because they want it to be that way, but it doesn't make it likely. Odds are that Barbara won't be a redhead if her actress isn't white or a natural redhead. I mean, there's plenty of non-white redheads, like Ariana Grande (she natural redhead or just dyed her hair often? Doesn't matter) so it's not impossible. But again, there's no reason to expect it other than just wishing really.
    I don't think it's that improbable considering people have seen her hair with a reddish tint or looking red before, and I don't think it's too far-fetched to expect comic fidelity in this instance thinking how much her red hair is a part of the Batgirl look unless they really deviate in their interpretation of the character.