Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    Doesn't really matter neather endgame or avatar deserve to be in the top spot.
    Which movie does?

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    opinions? Not bashing per say if I'm understanding correctly he is saying endgame isn't a top movie?
    YMMV. I would call saying the top grossing film of all time will evaporate and not be remembered after 2 months bashing.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Coal Tiger View Post
    Which movie does?
    1996s Killer Condom of course. ��

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    YMMV. I would call saying the top grossing film of all time will evaporate and not be remembered after 2 months bashing.
    I would call that silly to think people would forget endgame in 2 months lol

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    I never slammed the Oscars, the Oscars are dysfunctional but sometimes they function for their purpose.
    Ah. So: “the Oscars is a reputable institution when it’s opinion reflects my own, and it’s dysfunctional when it doesn’t”.

Gotcha.

Avatar does not have any of the hype machine as Endgame or any MCU stuff, even the Dark Knight the first comic film that earned a billion did not even have the hype machine of MCU. Ironically I remember having this conversation with someone here about why and how some comic movies are worth remembering after 15 or 20 years compared to MCU movies because they brought something very unique and different to the table that is still worth mentioning after 2 decades like having a comic movie open in nazi camps or having a director like Nolan change how we see a dc or batman film.
    The question I was asking was if the release was happening because of the sequel (supposedly ) coming out soon. (I mean, it's been about 20 years since Avatar one...)

Endgame has none of that, so if endgame was to loose its box office crown as the number one movie, it will evaporate like most and if not all mass manufactured CBM movies that are not worth remembering after 2 months.
    Why would it "evaporate?" The MCU is still popular, it was a landmark in terms of what it was (a big event movie capping off a wildly successful series). While I think it's fair that there are plenty of MCU movies that might not have as much staying power on their own and depend on the larger MCU series to stay relevant, doesn't it stand to reason that the MCU as a whole will probably remain a noted piece of cinematic history, if nothing else for it being the first successful cinematic universe and for popularizing the concept?

I believe this conversation was on a Zack Snyder thread about Zack explaining why DC and marvel films are not the same. I think I was right here. Endgame was fun but it did nothing different, Endgame just reaffirmed MCU had a formula that works.
    Remember the thread, kinda vaguely.

Longevity and remembrance belongs more to Avatar, at least from a film making POV. I mean let's face it , we really cannot compare a cooperate made movie like Endgame to any James Cameron film because James Cameron is so well known as one of the most distinctive film makers and all his films have reflected that.
    Why not? We do it all the time. At the end of the day, if something speaks to people, does it really matter if it was made as a corporate product or a single artistic vision. Case in point, the Transformers franchise; it was made only to sell toys, but has become something beloved by generations and has had modern installments with people working on them who have an interest in making stuff that's more then just a toy commercial. (Lump Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles in there too as something that expanded for commercialization purposes and still means more then that to people). Heck, the superhero genre itself is highly commercialized yet people connect with it on a personal level.

I think that it's a little early to say what kind of longevity Avatar or Avengers: Endgame will have, since both are part of franchises that are still ongoing and are new enough that we don't have hindsight. However, I feel that Avatar has the longer climb to be remembered as art; it's main claim to fame was the 3-D, which faded away. Beyond that, it didn't really become a part of pop culture and when remembered, it's for the less flattering stuff; the plot being "just" Dances With Wolves and Pocahontas in space, with a "White Savior" plot that hasn't aged well (heck, the movie Instant Family made a joke about that). The maguffin literally being called "unobtainum" has long been the butt of jokes (and I would like to know who thought calling it that was a good idea). The use of Papyrus font was ripped to shreds when I was in graphic design school. You get the picture; the movie is most remembered for its missteps and as a punchline. A sequel could elevate it's position, but it remains to be seen if people still want Avatar or not.

With Endgame, it seems like the story and characters have been what hooked people on it and that has generally been stuff that keeps movies being passed down over the generations. Course, we'll see what happens when the MCU winds down for good and all that.

Endgame's love and hype as the greatest thing ever is most pushed by MCU fans and not all of them because it seems like the more older fans of the MCU favour Winter Solider as the MCU movie with the most impact, now that Endgame will loose the box office crown, there is nothing no longer unique about the film , it will be easier to lump it with others as another generic fun action driven comic book movie.
    Personally, I still think Winter Solider is still the best MCU movie to date. Course we'll see how Black Widow stacks up.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Oh nos Disney hate this news, woops nevermind Disney owns Avatar, Has section of its park based on Avatar, has the peddle Blue Aliens next year and in a couple sequels.

PS if you are curious what Disney actually cares about
    When a film is highly exploitable as a commercial property, its ancillary revenues can dwarf its income from direct film sales. The Lion King (1994) earned over $2 billion in box-office and home video sales but this pales in comparison to the $8 billion earned at box offices around the world by the stage adaptation. Merchandising can be extremely lucrative too: The Lion King also sold $3 billion of merchandise, while Pixar's Cars—which earned $462 million in theatrical revenues and was only a modest hit by comparison to other Pixar films—generated global merchandise sales of over $8 billion in the five years after its 2006 release. Pixar had another huge hit with Toy Story 3, which generated almost $10 billion in merchandise retail sales in addition to the $1 billion it earned at the box office

https://www.cbr.com/avatar-avengers-...office-throne/

The movie is getting released in china this weekend again. Strange I know films get re-released but Avatar was not released in 2019 for a 10th anniversary special.

Should we all be congratulating James Cameron Personally or Disney Corporately?

Zoe Saldana is the person we should be congratulating since She is in both films.

Congrats to an incredibly dull film that overstayed it's welcome.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Extraordinary Member

Until Endgame re-releases.

I can't see 3d good so i didn't care about avatar in 3d (hollywood forgets there are people who can't see 3d. Man i'm glad 3d is dead again) and saw it in 2d from redbox on dvd.

So the film had to stand on it's own without the 3d stunt. Found it "ok". Not great, not awful. Ok.
    Last edited by Gaastra; 03-14-2021 at 11:39 AM.

Incredible Member

I think gone with the wind is technically the highest grossing film by all time by a healthy margin. When adjusted for inflation (which has to be done for any sort of fair comparison). Avatar and Endgame are in the top 10.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List...grossing_films

Personally, I like the second link better because it shows estimated tickets sold which is a better indicator because the value of currency changes through time and even adjustments for inflation are not completely accurate. As you can see in the below link Avatar nor Endgame are in the top 10 based on number of tickets sold. Gone with the wind sold double the number of tickets than those two. Imo highest grossing is no more than a marketing gimmick at this point because cost per ticket is higher which makes it easier to reach a billion dollars than it could before.

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/chart/...ref_=bo_cso_ac
    Last edited by ComicJunkie21; 03-14-2021 at 06:40 AM.

Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by ComicJunkie21 View Post
    I think gone with the wind is technically the highest grossing film by all time by a healthy margin. When adjusted for inflation (which has to be done for any sort of fair comparison). Avatar and Endgame are in the top 10.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List...grossing_films

Personally, I like the second link better because it shows estimated tickets sold which is a better indicator because the value of currency changes through time and even adjustments for inflation are not completely accurate. As you can see in the below link Avatar nor Endgame are in the top 10 based on number of tickets sold. Gone with the wind sold double the number of tickets than those two. Imo highest grossing is no more than a marketing gimmick at this point because cost per ticket is higher which makes it easier to reach a billion dollars than it could before.

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/chart/...ref_=bo_cso_ac
    That is a better approach, but I don't trust their adjusted numbers. GWTW did not sell 200 million tickets in 1939. The US population was only 140 million. Are the adjusting for population growth as well as inflation? That becomes a very unreliable statistic.
    Last edited by Kirby101; 03-14-2021 at 07:35 AM.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Is this part of the hype machine for Avatar 2? (As far as whether Avatar or Endgame "deserve" top spot, I think it's safe to say that while Avatar may keep the box office crown, Endgame seems to be getting the last laugh in terms of longevity and impacting culture.)
    257(!) entries total A03 is in my eyes telling that avatar is in many eyes outstaying it'S wellcome
    not no mentonion how it's drowned in Avatar the last airbender and Avatar Legend of korra in devianart
    Quote Originally Posted by Jekyll View Post
    Congrats to an incredibly dull film that overstayed it's welcome.
    my thought too