Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by green_garnish View Post
    He's a soldier, wants to be seen as a soldier, and wants to be one of the troops. His worst time in the movies was when he was working as a spy, not a soldier, for SHIELD.
    But that wasn't really comic accurate at least not golden or copper age. That was more written for the movie.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    I mean, do we really want these characters to act like they're soldiers all the time?
    Most I've met are kind men. But yeah it is fantasy some the men who created these characters were soldiers. And they drew these guys with loud tighs on so.lol.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post
    Most I've met are kind men. But yeah it is fantasy some the men who created these characters were soldiers. And they drew these guys with loud tighs on so.lol.
    Sorry. I didn't mean to say anything unkind about soldiers. I should have been clear.

I mean, they're not fighting wars all the time, so it's not necessarily more practical for superheroes to be tactical

BANNED

Sorry. I didn't mean to say anything unkind about soldiers. I should have been clear.

I mean, they're not fighting wars all the time, so it's not necessarily more practical for superheroes to be tactical
    It's not practical for Cap to wear chainmail in any case. Thor is a warrior. It's absolutely sensible for him to wear protective gear. Daredevil, Batman, Natasha, Barton. It makes perfect sense for these people to wear tactical gear

Extraordinary Member

I honestly don't get the tactical thing for people who can lift a tank, or go through walls, or control people's minds. What does tactical gear benefit them?

Of course, a lot of old costumes are cringe and awkward. But the tactical stuff seems too militaristic
    I kind of see the “tactical” design idea as being similar to the original “strongman” connotations of the earliest superhero spandex; it was a visual shorthand for communicating the character “business” of doing the amazing and cool.

Now... I do think that somewhat says something less than flattering about modern pop culture psychology, mind you.

But on some level, it’s an aesthetic change in costume design the real world has had for a while that simply feeds into modern TV and movie design for superheroes.

And I’d say the main reason you don’t see many attempts so much to do “spandex” even from hardcore fans may be that after decades of colorful spandex having far more association with superheroes than anything else, it’s not so much that it’s seen as “lame” as it is seen as “bland.”
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Ultimate Member

It's not practical for Cap to wear chainmail in any case. Thor is a warrior. It's absolutely sensible for him to wear protective gear. Daredevil, Batman, Natasha, Barton. It makes perfect sense for these people to wear tactical gear
    Oh, definitely for non-powered guys, or even pseudo-non-powered guys like Cap. But why does Superman or Wonder Woman need armor.

BANNED

Oh, definitely for non-powered guys, or even pseudo-non-powered guys like Cap. But why does Superman or Wonder Woman need armor.
    Do Superman and Wonder Woman have armor? Although Wonder Woman is a warrior, and routinely fights with Amazons in various games

BANNED

TBH I suspect the origin of the tactical superhero outfit has its origins in it being cheaper than making Michael Keaton buff.

Ultimate Member

Do Superman and Wonder Woman have armor? Although Wonder Woman is a warrior, and routinely fights with Amazons in various games
    I didn't mean armor so much as "it has to look tactical to be realistic", Apparently that means no lighter colors, because dark = serious

Extraordinary Member

You don't have to apologize. But yeah superheroes aren't soldiers for the most part. And for ones who are super human tactical kinda goes out the window.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post
    You don't have to apologize. But yeah superheroes aren't soldiers for the most part. And for ones who are super human tactical kinda goes out the window.
    No problem. The weird thing is they'll give the superheroes tactical gear yet they'll still use medieval style tactics while fighting alien armies.

I love how simple, yet elegant this costume is. I loved the look of this character in the film

Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    https://whoaskd.com/

BANNED

Totally agree ^^

Quote Originally Posted by Comics N' Toons View Post
    Having just watched the 3 hr version of Superman: The Movie, I was struck by how good Reeve looked.
    Why Don't Any Superhero movies feature comic accurate costumes for their characters?

Superman: The Movie nailed it.
    Raimi's Spider-man got very close.
    Warren Beatty's Dick Tracy was easy to do, even if Beatty didn't look like Gould's character.
    Wesley Snipes' Blade was a 1990's version of that character and pretty accurate, not the Gene Colan Tomb of Dracula guy in the red coat.
    The Marvel films have been hit (Iron Man/Black Panther) or miss (most Avengers costumes). These outfits seem more based on the Ultimate Marvel comics.
    Gal Godot's Wonder Woman is fairly accurate.

As far as TV goes... the only costume that ever spoke to me was John Wesley Shipp's Flash, and even then, he looked more like Wally West than Barry Allen.

Should costumes return to the Chris Reeve era spandex/cloth? Is there a way to make actors look more iconic in their costumes? Will any actor ever embody a comic accurate superhero the way Reeve did for Superman?
    I’d argue this is because the comics decided to use the look Snyder gave WW in BvS.

Lynda Carter’s TV costume was comics accurate.
    “You see…the rest of them are soldiers. But [Wonder Woman] is an artist.”

I only support the made of clay origin.