Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Slade1 View Post
    The Dr.Strange starting the fight in Shuman Gorath form is curious. If he obliterates Wanda by just being there wouldn't he be disqualified because you cannot attack an opponent before the bell?
    I think it’s effectively that the competitors are assumed to be in a stasis field before the bell, so it’s actually the heartless sadist that rings the bell who kills Wanda, not Strange.

It’s a strange Lovecraftian Khazan version of the ‘guns don’t kill people - people do’ argument.

The stasis field may be entirely in my head though, but it would be a possible explanation we could enshrine in the starting conditions.

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Slade1 View Post
    The Dr.Strange starting the fight in Shuman Gorath form is curious. If he obliterates Wanda by just being there wouldn't he be disqualified because you cannot attack an opponent before the bell?
    The whole 'bell' thing is basically 'starting the match'. It's assumed that characters cannot affect each other; if one character is automatically putting out dangerous radiation in an area, we don't DQ them because they're attacking 'before the bell', we say 'at the bell, the radiation starts to affect people in the arena'. If you get my drift. ^_^

Mr. Explode Face automatically explodes faces, but we don't figure he gets DQ'ed because he does that 'before the bell'. It would be something that happens 'at the bell', ie 'match starts, stuff happens'.

People basically cannot affect the other fighters before the 'starting bell'.

In this case, it's 'Match starts, Strange's energies flood the arena, everyone dies.' I guess one might argue that someone like the Flash would have time to actually DO stuff as Strange's energies propagate through the arena, but then...maybe not, given 'Strange shows up, multiple galaxies die' isn't 'Strange shows up, 100K years later the Milky Way is gone, and millions of years later other galaxies die'. It seems to be more of a case of 'Strange's energies aren't travelling lightspeed or anything, they're just THERE, it's magic/cosmic, don't think too hard on the physics'. ^_^

...that was a weird digression, but hopefully the point is made.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Quote Originally Posted by Beadle View Post
    I think it’s effectively that the competitors are assumed to be in a stasis field before the bell, so it’s actually the heartless sadist that rings the bell who kills Wanda, not Strange.

It’s a strange Lovecraftian Khazan version of the ‘guns don’t kill people - people do’ argument.

The stasis field may be entirely in my head though, but it would be a possible explanation we could enshrine in the starting conditions.
    It's something like that, would be my guess. I just go with the idea that 'this is just a simulation of how things might work out and nobody can affect one another before the bell'. Taking the story elements out of it, so to speak. ^_^

But same idea.
    Why are we here?

"...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    The whole 'bell' thing is basically 'starting the match'. It's assumed that characters cannot affect each other; if one character is automatically putting out dangerous radiation in an area, we don't DQ them because they're attacking 'before the bell', we say 'at the bell, the radiation starts to affect people in the arena'. If you get my drift. ^_^

Mr. Explode Face automatically explodes faces, but we don't figure he gets DQ'ed because he does that 'before the bell'. It would be something that happens 'at the bell', ie 'match starts, stuff happens'.

People basically cannot affect the other fighters before the 'starting bell'.

In this case, it's 'Match starts, Strange's energies flood the arena, everyone dies.' I guess one might argue that someone like the Flash would have time to actually DO stuff as Strange's energies propagate through the arena, but then...maybe not, given 'Strange shows up, multiple galaxies die' isn't 'Strange shows up, 100K years later the Milky Way is gone, and millions of years later other galaxies die'. It seems to be more of a case of 'Strange's energies aren't travelling lightspeed or anything, they're just THERE, it's magic/cosmic, don't think too hard on the physics'. ^_^

...that was a weird digression, but hopefully the point is made.
    Wait... THAT was the weird digression...?

When you started off with the example of Mr. Explode Face...?

Wait... THAT was the weird digression...?

When you started off with the example of Mr. Explode Face...? ;)
    Mr. Explode Face example was germane to the question. :( The weird digression was me blathering on about Shuma-Gorath-Strange's Kill Everything™ auto-feature versus the speed of light.

^_^
    Why are we here?

Mr. Explode Face example was germane to the question. The weird digression was me blathering on about Shuma-Gorath-Strange's Kill Everything™ auto-feature versus the speed of light.

^_^
    I am, of course, just teasing.

I love a bit of old Blam-Chops.

I am, of course, just teasing.
    No worries, I got that. Canadian in me needed to respond with an explanation for potentially iffy behavior.

...gotta stop perpetuating that perception of Canada. Maple-washing bad.

I love a bit of old Blam-Chops.
    Still have his motivational poster around somewhere. ^_^
    Why are we here?

No worries, I got that. Canadian in me needed to respond with an explanation for potentially iffy behavior.

...gotta stop perpetuating that perception of Canada. Maple-washing bad.
    Hey, I find I justify most things I do or say IRL. No need to change that.

Still have his motivational poster around somewhere. ^_^
    Please find.

Anyhoo, returning us all to our regularly-scheduled programming, I still think we’re in the position of:

1. Composite Strange beats Composite Wanda and Composite Illyana.

2. Composite Spectre (particularly including PC Spectre and DoV Spectre) nevertheless beats Stevie.

3. The arena is happy with a very spectacular light-show.

I'm cool with the justification. I should stop with the 'because Canadian' stuff. ^_^

Please find.
    It's at home - if I remember, I'll search for it tonight.

Yay!
    Why are we here?

Did Shuma Gorath Strange have feats for drinking the spoiled milk of dead stars?
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh View Post
    Did Shuma Gorath Strange have feats for drinking the spoiled milk of dead stars?
    He'd have a devil of the time doing that, what with his presence evaporating all of that spoiled star milk.

Also, maybe he wasn't thirsty?
    Why are we here?

He'd have a devil of the time doing that, what with his presence evaporating all of that spoiled star milk.

Also, maybe he wasn't thirsty?
    He might not have been at the time, but he will be... and there are so very many spoiled milk stars.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Please find.

Anyhoo, returning us all to our regularly-scheduled programming, I still think we’re in the position of:

1. Composite Strange beats Composite Wanda and Composite Illyana.

2. Composite Spectre (particularly including PC Spectre and DoV Spectre) nevertheless beats Stevie.

In light of this, can I add a variation to my initial post, just to satisfy my own curiosity?

Lets' say that I had posted in the OP that Composite Strange, Scarlet Witch, and Magik, working together, ganged up on Composite DC Spectre with the added condition that [somehow] Wanda and Illyana are granted immunity from Strange's Auto-Kill ability. How does Spectre manage against all three of the others as a team?

How would Spectre manage against a combined fusion of all three (like in DBZ)?
    Last edited by Tami; 03-15-2021 at 08:08 AM.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh View Post
    He might not have been at the time, but he will be... and there are so very many spoiled milk stars.
    Problem - every time he gets near them, they evaporate.

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    In light of this, can I add a variation to my initial post, just to satisfy my own curiosity?

Lets' say that I had posted in the OP that Composite Strange, Scarlet Witch, and Magik, working together, ganged up on Composite DC Spectre with the added condition that [somehow] Wanda and Illyana are granted immunity from Strange's Auto-Kill ability. How does Spectre compare to all three of the others combined?
    I guess we just handwave Wanda and Illyana immunity to the energy Strange is releasing. Somehow, like you say, without affecting them in any other way. Works for me.

Assuming Wanda is actually operating on full-on, reality warps the entire universe (which is iffy - there are contradictions, apparently), then it's possible Strange could protect her long enough for her to do something to the Spectre.

Maybe?

I'm not sure where the Spectre tops out. I mean, I'm pretty sure Strange can at least stall him (if nothing else, the Spectre starts the fight by suddenly getting a faceful of You Die Along With Neighbouring Galaxies™ energy to work through, and that's Strange not even exerting himself), it's more a matter of 'Can Wanda, if actually capable of universal reality warping, DO anything to him?' What kind of stuff HAS he resisted that would allow him to power through Wanda's attempt to, I don't know, make him into a 1950's pickup? <- this is a serious question, it's very possible the Spectre has feats on a level where he can just say 'No.' I don't know. :P

If Wanda DOESN'T actually operate on the level of 'I change the universe' then nope, is my feeling.

Think we need people who know more about both Spectre and Wanda to weigh in on this one.

It's a telling point that Composite Illyana is not so much a factor in this fight (unless we're missing some amazingly mind-blowing performance, somewhere), except perhaps to briefly assist in stalling the Spectre before being zorched.
    Last edited by Sharpandpointies; 03-15-2021 at 08:18 AM.
    Why are we here?

Illyana did possess a fraction of the Phoenix Force for a time. That's pretty powerful in its own right.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.