Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

I think Bendis has pretty straightforward dialogue that's relateable and often comedic, especially if not taken too seriously. People tend to get possesive about their favorite characters.

Sometimes he doesn't write super-geniuses to the degree I think he should, but at least he's consistent. For as smart as Tony Stark or Reed Richards were they still did plenty of stupid things in storries that weren't scribed by Bendis.

As much as I like Scott Snyder for his 2009 to 2011 Detective Comics and American vampire I'm glad that his Justice League and events are over. He went a little too far and got a little too out there with Perpetua and the Batmans. His editor could have reigned those storries in a little more.
    The J-man

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    I'm probably missing something here but while the logos all mashed together is ugly, yes, I'm not particularly seeing what's so egregious about the the rest.
    The dialogue of the villain Black Adam is about to fight feels off.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    I think Bendis has pretty straightforward dialogue that's relateable and often comedic, especially if not taken too seriously. People tend to get possesive about their favorite characters.

Sometimes he doesn't write super-geniuses to the degree I think he should, but at least he's consistent. For as smart as Tony Stark or Reed Richards were they still did plenty of stupid things in storries that weren't scribed by Bendis.

As much as I like Scott Snyder for his 2009 to 2011 Detective Comics and American vampire I'm glad that his Justice League and events are over. He went a little too far and got a little too out there with Perpetua and the Batmans. His editor could have reigned those storries in a little more.
    I think the problem is that his dialogue gets applied to every character to where it's hard for them to sound distinct, and it usually just ends up leading to repetitive dialogue that doesn't really go anywhere. Which I think could be a big problem on a book like Justice League, like it was with Young Justice.

I think Bendis will probably be more straightforward and set his heights lower than Snyder did as far as his JL run.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by J. D. Guy View Post
    Yeah. Sadly, Bendis' Hatedom have consistently shown throughout his comic book career that they are loud and will hinder and hamper in even-toned or positive discourse within fandom. And going off some of the posts here, can do so very silly and/or petty reasons.

It means that no matter how much you enjoy his work or how much you just want to have an actual discussion about it, you can't. Because the Hatedom won't let you. (Unless you consider talking alone to yourself as "holding a discussion".)
    What is your take on why this happens with Bendis much more than anyone else?

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    I'm probably missing something here but while the logos all mashed together is ugly, yes, I'm not particularly seeing what's so egregious about the the rest.
    The rest if fine. Although the villain talking like a dude-bro is not my cup of tea.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    I seriously doubt any line editor can reign in an a-list writers like Snyder who was likely selected by the publisher or EiC and probably only answerable to them. Totally agreed about the criticism of Justice League. Perpetua was just too much and it seems like he teased the reader with stuff that didn't really pan out and hadn't been fully developed.

Quote Originally Posted by hairys View Post
    What is your take on why this happens with Bendis much more than anyone else?
    I never read Bendis before he came to DC. I thought Event Leviathan was alright and Naomi was pretty good. I had high hopes for YJ but it was a mess. Nothing compares to his Superman stuff though. That was dreadful. Who else could make the return of Jor-El and Superman revealing his secret ID deadly boring and a slog to get through?

I’m still reserving judgment though. I love JL more than any other title and I can’t pre-hate a thing I haven’t read yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post

Black Adam's kinda cute though
    Black Adam need something done with his face, so he doesn't look like Billy/Shazam. Where are his pointy ears.
    Some of us wait, some of us act.

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

Quote Originally Posted by LordAllMIghty View Post
    Black Adam need something done with his face, so he doesn't look like Billy/Shazam. Where are his pointy ears.
    In Future State he kinda looked like The Rock and I thought it was perfect.
    ConnEr Kent flies. ConnOr Hawke has a bow. Batman's kid is named DamiAn.

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by BohemiaDrinker View Post
    I'm cool with that. Right now he looks like a Billy/Shazam/Captain Marvel in black.
    Some of us wait, some of us act.

That face is distressingly off-model for Black Adam. Even aside from the pointy ears (which are kind of weird, when you think about it), Adam's got a pretty distinct facial profile. Maybe the artist was confused?

Quote Originally Posted by BohemiaDrinker View Post
    Yeah shocked he doesn’t look like The Rock in this book.

It would be really distracting to me if they tried to look Black Adam look like The Rock .

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

I really liked Dave's art on Spider-Man and Ultimates when he was art Marvel, but I do feel he may not be the right artist for this book. Something about the preview pages look off.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    I really liked Dave's art on Spider-Man and Ultimates when he was art Marvel, but I do feel he may not be the right artist for this book. Something about the preview pages look off.
    Too stylized?

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

I'm cool with that. Right now he looks like a Billy/Shazam/Captain Marvel in black.
    They need to bring back the elf ears and brown skin. He looks too much like Billy nowadays and I think they need to start differentiating the two now that he might blow up in popularity. Same thing with the costume. The new 52 costume is just too similar. Bring back the sash at least and get rid of the cape/hood. Why does he need a hood he's a known ruler makes no sense.
    Last edited by HandofPrometheus; 03-15-2021 at 10:13 PM.