Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Sigh. 10 char

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Let the decompression commence!

Yeah, I think I'll trade wait this one because that's clearly what it's being paced for.

It was ok...a little boring for me.

JL Dark was interesting, though.

I thought this was a pretty good start. Not really familiar with the artist, but really love his work here.
    Looking forward to Hippolyta coming on board!

I actually really liked this issue. Most of the characterizations were better than I expected from Bendis (except Aquaman of all people somehow being ignorant about magic?) and it was an okay set-up with some pretty cool fight scenes. It did fell decompressed, thought. I wish Bendis would use less double-page spreads because his issues end up being 10 pages of actual content.
    The back-up was great. Ram V is clearly the superior writer here and Xermanico seems like a perfect fit for JLD since Martinez is no longer involved. The only downsize of the back-up is that it truly deserved more pages. JLD should be its own book and I hope it becomes one again soon.

Honestly if anything surprised me is that I didn’t hate how Bendis wrote Black Adam, he writes him as this guy who is this big arrogant anti-hero/dictator we all know but wants to try and be better but is also unsure exactly how he’s supposed to do that. I don’t hate it and it feels reminiscent of him in JSA during the 90’s. Just have to wait and see where it goes.

Also I don’t know why but I find myself focusing on a specific scene with Aquaman in the hall of justice. It’s just green arrow trying to have a serious talk, everyone else is looking for the dimensional bad guy, and you see Aquaman’s just in the back fixing himself a plate. It’s funny to me for some reason.
    Last edited by sifighter; 03-16-2021 at 06:18 AM.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Incredible Member

I digged it.

The issue was definitely decompressed, but the art was gorgeous and Bendis gave Marquez a lot of room to flex in the big action sequences and in his figure's body language and facial expressions. Black Adam and Supes looked hot haha. Pretty decent characterizations, too, except for Batman's 'identify yourself!'.

JLD is the waaaaay better comic though. I like that Diana's death/disappearance/ascendance whatever was addressed, too. I feel like Diana was just finding her own JL subset niche with JLD and was disappointed when I heard she'd not be in the IF lineup.

Still a great comic though!

I'm....slightly on the fence. For the most part it was fine. But the usual Bendis-isms did still rear their ugly heads (and he does not seem to have a good grasp on Aquaman). Also wasn't a huge fan of how the story literally starts with him ****ing his own **** over the secret identity thing. But, on the bright side, Adam was great.

I dunno. I was slightly excited for this book when it was announced. I'm a little less excited now but I'm still not gonna write it off just yet.

It wasn't that bad in characterization (except Aquaman, I feel that Bendis hadn't understand Aquaman's voice yet).

JLD back up was good, except for the part of Zatanna being unable to use her magic. Seems that every writer only can write Zatanna when she is nerfed and can't do anything, so frustrating.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Johnrevenge View Post
    It wasn't that bad in characterization (except Aquaman, I feel that Bendis hadn't understand Aquaman's voice yet).

JLD back up was good, except for the part of Zatanna being unable to use her magic. Seems that every writer only can write Zatanna when she is nerfed and can't do anything, so frustrating.
    it was strange because she does say something about being able to magically transport them, but then later can't use her powers. Seems like it could be something related to the location or specific threat?

Quote Originally Posted by Johnrevenge View Post

I agree, every jld book starts with her being either powerless or have her magic fail against everything it's so annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by MadFacedKid View Post
    Who does the bottom logo belong to? Not the hawks but the one underneath Wonder Woman’s?
    I'm not surprised you didn't recognise Green Arrow's symbol. It's usually pointing left, not down, the line in the middle actually makes the arrowhead look like a G.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Astonishing Member

Merlin doesn't seem to be a good fit for JLD. His motivations in Future State was very much a cliche trying to impose his vision of tyrannical order. But the backup spent way too much time building him up as a mysterious new antagonist despite the fact that Future State gave us a good dose of what's going to happen.
    Last edited by Bruce Wayne; 03-16-2021 at 11:36 AM.

Bad guy’s name is Brutus. How does Bendis keep coming up with such original characters???
    Being a "Person of Interest" doesn't make you an interesting person.

BANNED

In terms of the story my main issue honestly being Aquaman he came off a bit clueless. From a power stand perspective I enjoyed him, he wasn’t pushed over by Brutus (who contended with Adam) which as a fan of the character that was great. Being a Superman fan I also liked his treatment of Brutus as well.

I definitely like the idea of Arthur being more pessimistic and thinking of the worst case scenario of things to an extent ofcourse. It falls in line with his portrayal in other JL runs against the other Leaguers as well as lines up with how he was portrayed in the cinematic universe.

Brutus has a cool design I guess. His dialogue is interesting to say the least.

I couldn’t find any fault with Bendis depiction of Superman and Ollie. I like that Ollie is constantly babbling about all the stuff they can do to make the world better and expand the effort. It’s as pro-active as I’d imagine him being and I like Superman is open ears about it.

I was a bit confused about the Eternal warrior label for Hawkgirl I thought I’ve seen it suggested that the reincarnation thing has ended, unless it’s referring to the facts she’s lived several lives in the past.

This is my first exposure to Naomi in the comic pages that McDuffie name was interesting to me. Her parents being brought into question as Adam shows up to talk to her is interesting.

It was a good first issue to me but I definitely think Bendis needs to work on his characterization on Aquaman and Black Adam.

I liked that the title also got some pages for the JL Dark. Be cool to see more backup stories like that in popular comic series.