Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What does Moira mean for time travellers

I haven't seen it addressed in the books so how does Moira's power affect time travellers? When she died in her fifth life did Bishop and Cable from that timeline get erased too? What about someone like Kang who can exist at different points of time simultaneously? Couldn't any one of them travel to a point before Moira's death and prevent it?

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Cable is from the current timeline, so if Moira dies, then he disappears, since when Moira was born, Scott and Madelyne obviously weren't alive.

Bishop would also disappear, since he hadn't arrive yet in the year Moira was born.

Kang is a good question. It's even possible he'd notice an anomaly, but not necessarily that was Moira (the Dominions too).

I have to confess, I still don't get Moira's new powers at all. lol

I still think Moira's power is just a low level type of time traveling. She doesn't reboot a timeline, she just travel back in time. It's low level because she can only travel in one situation(her death) and only her conscience go back in time, and last she only goes back to one point in time, her birth/conception.

Now, when compared with what Tempus or Illyana can do, her power is really not that impressive, Eva could go back and kill Moira's grandmother any time she wanted, hell she could kill Apocalypse's if she knew who she was, Moira can only affect time after a certain point.

Moira's power create a lot of storytelling possibilities. It's just that when I think about it it also creates a lot of inconsistencies especially with the larger MU. I think using Kang in a storyline alongside Moira can be appropriate for this era.
    Last edited by Doom'nGloom; 03-14-2021 at 08:08 AM.

Astonishing Member OopsIdiditagain's Avatar

I thought Moira created a new universe everytime she went back, like creating and loading a savepoint on a videogame. Whatever happened in one timeline stayed there, time travelers move within them.
    december 21st has passed where are my superpowers?

The way I see it:

She doesn't go back in time, the universe just stops existing when she dies and with her birth universe reborns itself into being again and again.
    It's the egg/chicken paradox for me and I won't crack my head around it.

We're all just living in Moira's world.

That would make Moira extremely powerful. One can argue she's omega level at that point. I think her powers need to be addressed considering that she will play a big role down the road because as it stands they are kında vague.

Frankly, I think Moira will die in the end of Hickman's run and the world will somehow reset and reborn itself after without Krakoa or Moira.

Astonishing Member OopsIdiditagain's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Doom'nGloom View Post
    That would make Moira extremely powerful. One can argue she's omega level at that point. I think her powers need to be addressed considering that she will play a big role down the road because as it stands they are kında vague.
    She can't change what's in the universe before she's born or control how the world reacts to her actions, she's not omega level.
    december 21st has passed where are my superpowers?

I haven't seen it addressed in the books so how does Moira's power affect time travellers? When she died in her fifth life did Bishop and Cable from that timeline get erased too? What about someone like Kang who can exist at different points of time simultaneously? Couldn't any one of them travel to a point before Moira's death and prevent it?
    Well, if you go by what happened in Age of Apocalypse, Bishop stuck around even after the timeline was altered. Because he was already a man out of time. Food for thought...

Quote Originally Posted by OopsIdiditagain View Post
    She can't change what's in the universe before she's born or control how the world reacts to her actions, she's not omega level.
    Alright maybe not omega but still very powerful and her power is actually a double edged sword. Any progress towards a better future can be undone by Moira's death. I think there will come a time when Xavier and Max have to get rid of Moira without resetting the timeline.

Alright maybe not omega but still very powerful and her power is actually a double edged sword. Any progress towards a better future can be undone by Moira's death. I think there will come a time when Xavier and Max have to get rid of Moira without resetting the timeline.
    It's just a weak time travel, nothing any other time traveler couldn't do.

Extraordinary Member

I guess an argument can be made that any instance of going back to the past that doesn't involve a causality paradox, meaning it was always 'meant' to happen so nothing changed, causes some level of reset in the universe. Sometimes it seems to be the creation of a new timeline, like Rachel's Days of Future Past being an alternate timeline where the Dark Phoenix Saga ended with Jean living and other things from the Claremont era never happened. Other times it seems to be a complete overwrite, like Age of Apocalypse. Though Age of Apocalypse ends up being a case of both since 616 got destroyed and restored again without affecting the new timeline. I would say that natural time travel of the kind used by Magik and Tempus, which is entirely based on their powers, would result in a reset, while artificial time travel as in using technologies and time machines would result in a new timeline being created. That could maybe explain the inconsistency with Age of Apocalypse: Legion's first time travel was entirely from his own mutant power resulting in the overwriting of 616, while the time travel to undo that involved the M'Kraan Crystal, which was an outside influence and therefore added an element of artificially that allowed both timelines to coexist. In this formation what happens with Moira is a reset like with any mutant time traveler. Unfortunately I don't think this holds up given how inconsistent time travel is in the rest of the MU.

Incredible Member Lady Midnight's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zvrk View Post
    Frankly, I think Moira will die in the end of Hickman's run and the world will somehow reset and reborn itself after without Krakoa or Moira.
    I worry more for some of my favorite resurrected mutants than I care about her.
    My flag is bacon.