Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Things You Like in Versions/Run of Wonder Woman You Don't

We all have iterations of the character we don't care for but what are some ideas, things, or concepts that you think were good in either runs or adaptations of Wonder Woman that you otherwise don't like.

For me to start:

DCAU
    -Susan Eisenberg as the voice actress
    -Circe's simplified motivation to act as a villain to Diana, even if the one episode she was in was bad.
    -The brief relationship with Steve Trevor in the alternate WW2 two-parter
    -The episode with Super-Friends expies is actually a great showcase of Diana's comic personality that the show otherwise discarded
    Last edited by Gaius; 03-14-2021 at 08:15 AM. Reason: some words

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    We all have iterations of the character we don't care for but what are some ideas, things, or concepts that you think were good in either runs or adaptations of Wonder Woman that you otherwise don't like.

For me to start:

DCAU
    -Susan Eisenberg as the voice actress
    -Circe's simplified motivation to act as a villain to Diana, even if the one episode she was in was bad.
    -The brief appearance with Steve Trevor in the alternate WW2 two-parter
    -The episode with Super-friends expies is actually a good showcase of Diana's comic personality that the show otherwise discarded
    This is actually a good list for the DCAU and pretty much matches with mine.

Azzarello
    - Chiang's artwork
    - Diana's personality combined with Chiang's design really make her come across as a regal, cool badass who is still very compassionate
    - the Gods

Kanigher
    - I like the whimsy of the Silver Age stories and the aesthetics of the artwork. The overall direction of the book was poor because it all came mostly at the expense of Marston's elements, but had they added this stuff while still using Marstn's template (ex: his mostly female rogues gallery not being discarded) we'd have something a little better.
    - Making the Gods slightly more accurate to mythology instead of having them live on other planets and space ships. In the long run, this lead to the depictions from Perez and others.

Grant Morrison's Wonder Woman

- the underworld, the concept of dead ones who drink to forget themselves, to lose oneself what was in life, and the only remaining thing is a sentence, a mantra you forged in your life

Greg Rucka's Wonder Woman

- her capacity for love and the way he frames her expressions of love
    - her relationship with Cheetah is tragic and yet hopeful in how Diana is always willing to lend a hand
    - I love his incorporating some unknown mythology thingies in his writing like Heketeia (comics are educational, ha!)

DCAU
    - Circe's design is my favorite by far, even though it's Kirby-esque

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    This is actually a good list for the DCAU and pretty much matches with mine.

Azzarello
    - Chiang's artwork
    - Diana's personality combined with Chiang's design really make her come across as a regal, cool badass who is still very compassionate
    - the Gods

Kanigher
    - I like the whimsy of the Silver Age stories and the aesthetics of the artwork. The overall direction of the book was poor because it all came mostly at the expense of Marston's elements, but had they added this stuff while still using Marstn's template (ex: his mostly female rogues gallery not being discarded) we'd have something a little better.
    - Making the Gods slightly more accurate to mythology instead of having them live on other planets and space ships. In the long run, this lead to the depictions from Perez and others.
    Yeah, Chiang's art is probably the one thing I don't really put an asterisk mark on like I do with the rest of the Azz run. His God designs I was 50/50 on but he when he had a good one it was pretty out of the park imo (Hades, Apollo, Hera).

Also agreed on the making the Gods in the Silver Age closer to mythological beings than sci-fi creations, even if I liked it done better by later writers.
    Last edited by Gaius; 03-14-2021 at 07:52 AM.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Azzarello's run:

I really liked the supporting character Siracca. She was such a tragic character that Diana brought peace to. I wish Azzarello would have used her more as well as other creators who wrote the book after him.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

AZZARELLO
    - Apollo. It was smart of him to take a god that hadn't really had a presence in the Wonderverse to make into a major player. Chiang's redesign was fantastic and Apollo ended up, by far, being the best antagonist in the run.
    - Chiang's artwork and designs. The artwork was phenomenal, and Chiang's redesigns of many of the gods (not all, mind you -- I'm looking at you, Aphrodite) were outlandish in the best way possible. Standouts really include Hera, Strife, Demeter, Poseidon, Eros, Hephaestus, and Hades.
    - Diana's "I love everyone" moment against Hades.

ROBINSON
    - He at least brought back Blue Snowman and Zara from limbo with decent redesigns.

FINCH
    - The concept of Derinoe (sans Donna Troy's horrendous origin) was an interesting one. The idea of beauty and aging on Themyscira could be great to see explored, and Finch sort of tried that here.
    - She brought back Aegeus (even if it wasn't her idea). This version didn't work, like her Dr. Poison, but I have to applaud any writer who brings back a C or D-list villain.

STRACYZNSKI
    - At the time, I like Galenthias the talking cat. A little bit Salem, a little bit Luna... it was a cute idea that never went anywhere.

KANIGHER
    - Siege said it best when he mentioned whimsy, which this run has a lot of.
    - Mouse Man is easily one of the best comic relief villains.

TAMAKI
    - Mikel Janin's art for the first few issues. Seriously, gorgeous stuff even if it's no secret I abhor this run.

Misread the OP’s topic for discussion.

Oops, lmao! I love that though WonderScott. Great idea for a new thread (start it!).

Fantastic Member VonHammersmark's Avatar

Yeah, Chiang's art is probably the one thing I don't really put an asterisk mark on like I do with the rest of the Azz run. His God designs I was 50/50 on but he when he had a good one it was pretty out of the park imo (Hades, Apollo, Hera).

Also agreed on the making the Gods in the Silver Age closer to mythological beings than sci-fi creations, even if I liked it done better by later writers.
    Hades wasn’t Chiang’s design, Goran Sudzuka designed that one, as well as Poseidon. I believe Tony Akins designed Athena and Chiang did all the other ones - Apollo, Zeus and Strife being my favourites

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by VonHammersmark View Post
    Hades wasn’t Chiang’s design, Goran Sudzuka designed that one, as well as Poseidon. I believe Tony Akins designed Athena and Chiang did all the other ones - Apollo, Zeus and Strife being my favourites
    Chiang designed Athena. It's his design work in the back of the trade.
    the other artist actually drew her on the page in the comic though

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    AZZARELLO
    - Apollo. It was smart of him to take a god that hadn't really had a presence in the Wonderverse to make into a major player. Chiang's redesign was fantastic and Apollo ended up, by far, being the best antagonist in the run.
    Yeah, kind of wished he was the big bad of the run over The First Born.
    Quote Originally Posted by VonHammersmark View Post
    Ah, thanks for the correction.

Strife was also a good design, yes.

I'm going to pick some obscure ones for myself since most of what you guys said already are things I like too.

DCAU

-That girl fight episode when a mind controlled Wonder Woman 1 v 4 the other members of the Justice League. The animation was good and I liked when the others realized who they were going to fight and thought "...oh ****".

DCeased

-Zombie Wonder Woman ripping Vandal Savage in half. I also just like the concept of a Zombie Wonder Woman.

Injustice

-Wonder Woman owning Superman in that fight. I normally don't like when superheroes fight each other, but Injustice Superman getting his butt handed to him in that fight was pretty fun and funny for me.

Johns Justice League (2011)

-Cheetah taking on the Justice League and actually winning until Diana outsmarted her. I like Diana outsmarting her enemies even more than I like her outmuscling them (although the best is when you combine the two, which this comic mostly did) and it was a good way to show why Cheetah is a Wonder Woman villain and not anyone else (I'm looking at you Batman). Plus, it was nice to see Cheetah as a Justice League level threat, something we wouldn't see again until Scott Snyder's Justice Run.

Wilsons Run

-Giganta and Diana being gal-pals and fighting titans together.
    -The armor Diana got at the end of the run was kinda cool too.

BvS

-Everything Diana said and did in that movie.

Quote Originally Posted by I'm a Fish View Post
    BvS

-Everything Diana said and did in that movie.
    Specific to BvS since I otherwise mostly like DCEU WW, but while I don't care for her having a secret I.D. updating "Diana Prince" to being a Museum Curator is actually a neat idea.

That the name is also something Steve came up with at the last minute is also an amusing detail.

Specific to BvS since I otherwise mostly like DCEU WW, but while I don't care for her having a secret I.D. updating "Diana Prince" to being a Museum Curator is actually a neat idea.

That the name is also something Steve came up with at the last minute is also an amusing detail.
    I would definingly include DCEU Wonder Woman as a whole but I only dislike BVS out of all the movies she's been in so far.