View Poll Results: Is Spider-Man the poor man's version of Batman?

Voters
51. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

7 13.73%
  • No

44 86.27%
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    BANNED

No. where are u getting this?

His comic still sells and he is one of the marvel characters that does not need the MCU push in the comics.

Spiderverse was fantastic

His PS4 game was marvellous.

I am not the biggest fan of his new movies but they still make money.

Spiderman is still the most iconic character from marvel of all time. he is the superman of marvel, not even the batman.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    There's also Honey Badger
    The world does not contain enough face palms to react to this properly.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

BANNED

I use google trends

Search terms: batman (blue), spiderman (red)
    world wide scale

Spider-man is different from Batman. The right question should be "Is Order of the Web Marvel's poor version of Batfam?"

If i had been Stan Lee, i would have not made Spiderman a more complicated name.

Raimi triology has more impact on Spider-man than any other recent Spider-man movies.

In terms of logo design, Batman's logo is easier to be drawn than Spider-man's logo.

In terms of cosplay, Spider-man's suit is easier to be made than Batsuit.

In terms of adaptation, a good Batman fan movie is easier to be made than a Spider-man one.
    Last edited by prepmaster; 03-16-2021 at 04:10 PM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    Spiderman is still the most iconic character from marvel of all time. he is the superman of marvel, not even the batman.
    To be fair Superman isn't the Superman of DC these days.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    If anything the Spiders are like the polar opposite of the Batfamily where the Batfamily are a tight-knit group of people closely associated with and inspired by Batman while the Spiders are people who are generally independent and only really have shared powers and designs associating them with each other.

It's why attempts to try and make them more like the Batfamily or be closer just come off as hamfisted and clunky.
    I agree with this. 2099 is off in the future, so he is technically doing his own thing. Miles was integrated into the main 616 world, so I can understand him popping by every now and then to seek advice from Peter. The only other 2 that should have a connection with Peter is Kaine and Ben. Jessica Drew has no significant ties to Peter (her whole backstory is independent). Spider-gwen works better in her own world. Carpenter also had no ties to Peter, but I can tolerate her popping up occasionally as Madame Web.

But Peter doesn't need a "spider-family." it doesn't really add anything (as Last Remains proved).

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Orbus View Post
    Agreed. I say this as a Superman fan, too. DC is pretty much the Batman factory now. Sure, they keep trying to make Superman work by having him appear as the pillar of the DC Universe with things like Doomsday Clock, but he hasn't been the figure everybody looks to in a long, long time.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Somecrazyaussie View Post
    I agree with this. 2099 is off in the future, so he is technically doing his own thing. Miles was integrated into the main 616 world, so I can understand him popping by every now and then to seek advice from Peter. The only other 2 that should have a connection with Peter is Kaine and Ben. Jessica Drew has no significant ties to Peter (her whole backstory is independent). Spider-gwen works better in her own world. Carpenter also had no ties to Peter, but I can tolerate her popping up occasionally as Madame Web.

But Peter doesn't need a "spider-family." it doesn't really add anything (as Last Remains proved).
    If Last Remains was actually a good story, that might've meant something.

The fact is, it's a self-fulfilling prophecy. Spencer knew that readers wanted the Spider-Family to fail or get killed so he deliberately made them unimportant and bturned Mary Jane into Mary Sue.

It's really sad.

No that's just what happens to popular concepts, they make a bunch of derivatives. It's happened to the Hulk, Superman, Wolverine, The Saiyan's in DB, even Cap.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Astonishing Member

Jessica Drew and Julia Carpenter(while neither share the same origin as Parker) can make a huge contribution to Peter's world and vice versa respectively. I would love to see the Spider-Office have a few non-Spider created characters as Peter's allies and rogues. The Spider-Family doesn't mean that they have to be biologically related to Parker. As for the clones, I would rather see Kaine return(with the powers of the other) than Ben Reilly. There was never a need to bring the clones back to begin with. Regarding Miles, he belongs back in the Ultimate Universe where Ultimate Peter Parker could mentor him.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post

The fact is, it's a self-fulfilling prophecy. Spencer knew that readers wanted the Spider-Family to fail or get killed so he deliberately made them unimportant and bturned Mary Jane into Mary Sue.

It's really sad.
    It might have been best if Jessica Drew or Julia Carpenter had appeared rather than bringing in Ayna, Silk, Spider-Gwen, and Miles Morales along. That always kills the dynamic with characters who are not friends with Parker. Jessica Drew and Julia Carpenter have the potential to become invaluable allies with Spidey. There was never a need to bring Silk, Spider-Gwen, Ayna, and Miles Morales into Peter's world.
    Last edited by Darthfury78; 03-17-2021 at 01:51 AM.

Astonishing Member

Agreed. I say this as a Superman fan, too. DC is pretty much the Batman factory now. Sure, they keep trying to make Superman work by having him appear as the pillar of the DC Universe with things like Doomsday Clock, but he hasn't been the figure everybody looks to in a long, long time.
    Blame that on Jim Lee's DC New 52 plan. Not to mention that Bendis is now over at DC Comics writing Superman...

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post

It's really sad.
    That is wrong on every level. First off I do not know how you know what is in Spencer’s mind? He is not Dan Slott explaining everything he has planned. Next, with the exception of Otto and a few others Spencer has been using almost every character who has appeared in Spider-Man at least once, so he is not trying to make Gwen etc look bad and MJ look good, he just wants to use them. Some, great ( Gibbon), others okay ( Vulture), a few (such as Doom) not good. Finally, we have to see what is the ultimate fate of Peter and MJ when Spencer’s run ends. Will OMD be erased? Also Will they be married ( or even still a couple)? Something to think about

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

Man, I feel like we're coming full circle now with MJ getting the mary sue accusation.
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by NC_Yankee View Post
    That is wrong on every level. First off I do not know how you know what is in Spencer’s mind? He is not Dan Slott explaining everything he has planned. Next, with the exception of Otto and a few others Spencer has been using almost every character who has appeared in Spider-Man at least once, so he is not trying to make Gwen etc look bad and MJ look good, he just wants to use them. Some, great ( Gibbon), others okay ( Vulture), a few (such as Doom) not good. Finally, we have to see what is the ultimate fate of Peter and MJ when Spencer’s run ends. Will OMD be erased? Also Will they be married ( or even still a couple)? Something to think about
    I didn't even say anything about Gwen because I wasn't even talking about their romance. Peter and every other Spider character has been ineffectual Spencer's entire run. You could argue that that's a holdover from Slott's run. What has he accomplished?

And Hunted was by far the worst story that Spencer has written. Gibbon's death was narratively pointless.

Quote Originally Posted by Orbus View Post
    pretty sure since 2008 he been replaced by Batman
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy