View Poll Results: Is Spider-Man the poor man's version of Batman?

Voters
51. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

7 13.73%
  • No

44 86.27%
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

So is the Spider-Family the only evidence of Spider-Man having become a poor man's Batman?

In hindsight, I do see some similarities between Morrison's Batman run and JMS' Spider-Man run:
    -Came out it the 2000's
    -Focused on reconstruction of the character rather than deconstruction
    -Argued that the character has become mythical
    -Did multiple callbacks to earlier stories
    -Portrayed the character at their absolute best

And lastly, multiple different versions versions of the character started to pop up in comics after each writer got their hands on the character. Interesting that while JMS never planned for there to be more than one Spider-Man the way Morrison did with Batman, the same thing more-or-less happened (and outlasted even Morrison's vision for Batman, ironically). JMS also introduced the concept of the Spider Society and the idea of there being multiple people with spider-powers. Maybe even without OMD and the need for diversity, a second Spider-Man akin to Miles Morales was always bound to eventually pop up in 616 around that same time.
    Last edited by Kaitou D. Kid; 03-18-2021 at 10:52 PM.

This thread and it's premise are, with all due respect to the OP, kinda silly. It reads as more of a fit as to why everything Spider-related doesn't circle around Peter Parker, and only someone too laser-focused on him would not understand why.

Each of the other spiders like Miles, Anya and even Gwen bring different perspectives to a similar experience that Peter doesn't have. They know him and help him, but it's a companionship rather than a mentorship like in the Bat-Family. They are not a group of people brought together by a single anchor in the form of Peter but by an experience or similar life that binds them all together. I think that's way better than having everything in the world revolve around Peter. More importantly, their diverse perspective allows them to have stories Peter either doesn't have, or straight up can't anymore (i.e: Miles' book dwells more into school life that Peter has by now just left behind)

I think a lot of people are just too attached to the (idea of) Peter Parker's character. But he really doesn't need to have any more focus than he already does.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitou D. Kid View Post
    So is the Spider-Family the only evidence of Spider-Man having become a poor man's Batman?

In hindsight, I do see some similarities between Morrison's Batman run and JMS' Spider-Man run:
    -Came out it the 2000's
    -Focused on reconstruction of the character rather than deconstruction
    -Argued that the character has become mythical
    -Did multiple callbacks to earlier stories
    -Portrayed the character at their absolute best

And lastly, multiple different versions versions of the character started to pop up in comics after each writer got their hands on the character. Interesting that while JMS never planned for there to be more than one Spider-Man the way Morrison did with Batman, the same thing more-or-less happened (and outlasted even Morrison's vision for Batman, ironically). JMS also introduced the concept of the Spider Society and the idea of there being multiple people with spider-powers. Maybe even without OMD and the need for diversity, a second Spider-Man akin to Miles Morales was always bound to eventually pop up in 616 around that same time.
    I wonder if OMD not happening would've changed any of Bendis' USM plans. I don't think it would have, though.

He obviously didn't plan to take USM Peter to college.
    Quote Originally Posted by JTHM View Post
    This thread and it's premise are, with all due respect to the OP, kinda silly. It reads as more of a fit as to why everything Spider-related doesn't circle around Peter Parker, and only someone too laser-focused on him would not understand why.

Each of the other spiders like Miles, Anya and even Gwen bring different perspectives to a similar experience that Peter doesn't have. They know him and help him, but it's a companionship rather than a mentorship like in the Bat-Family. They are not a group of people brought together by a single anchor in the form of Peter but by an experience or similar life that binds them all together. I think that's way better than having everything in the world revolve around Peter. More importantly, their diverse perspective allows them to have stories Peter either doesn't have, or straight up can't anymore (i.e: Miles' book dwells more into school life that Peter has by now just left behind)

I think a lot of people are just too attached to the (idea of) Peter Parker's character. But he really doesn't need to have any more focus than he already does.
    I wouldn't even call it companionship with how infrequently they hang out. And it doesn't hold up as well during stuff like Last Remains or in the cartoons where they're forced into being Peter supporting characters.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I wonder if OMD not happening would've changed any of Bendis' USM plans. I don't think it would have, though.

He obviously didn't plan to take USM Peter to college
    This isn't necessarily true. Bendis early on said that every 100 issues of USM were one year in Peter's life. By that logic Ultimate Peter was due to grow up eventually, just at a much slower rate than 616 Peter.

This isn't necessarily true. Bendis early on said that every 100 issues of USM were one year in Peter's life. By that logic Ultimate Peter was due to grow up eventually, just at a much slower rate than 616 Peter.
    But didn't the entirety of the run end up being one year before they did the Death of Spider-Man story?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    But didn't the entirety of the run end up being one year before they did the Death of Spider-Man story?
    I remember it being confirmed that Peter turned 16 after issue 100. That was back in like 2006. If they did indeed say after Peter's death that he was only Spider-Man for a year, it can be considered a retcon.

My guess is that "Ultimate Peter can't ever leave high school", assuming it was ever an actual existing policy at Marvel, only became a thing after OMD.
    Last edited by Kaitou D. Kid; 03-19-2021 at 08:00 AM.

Astonishing Member

I remember it being confirmed that Peter turned 16 after issue 100. That was back in like 2006. If they did indeed say after Peter's death that he was only Spider-Man for a year, it can be considered a retcon.

My guess is that "Ultimate Peter can't ever leave high school", assuming it was ever an actual existing policy at Marvel, only became a thing after OMD.
    The folks at Marvel doesn't want Peter to grow up because he was their first teen aged superhero. Yet, the original X-Men were allowed to grow up.

Quote Originally Posted by Darthfury78 View Post
    The folks at Marvel doesn't want Peter to grow up because he was their first teen aged superhero. Yet, the original X-Men were allowed to grow up.
    i mean both characters are middle aged adults and stopped there. I dont see any push from the fans to grow up the characters either though. So I cant fault the writers only
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Spectacular Member

No, he´s become the poor version of himself

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by noronha View Post
    no, he´s become the poor version of himself
    gold!!!!!!!

Doubtful, Spider has a group of spider themed people plus an army but they don't act the same way as the Bat fam.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hulkout42 View Post
    Doubtful, Spider has a group of spider themed people plus an army but they don't act the same way as the Bat fam.
    They all seem to be at each other's throats. That seems like the Batfamily.

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    They all seem to be at each other's throats. That seems like the Batfamily.
    That seems more dependent on who is writing the Bat family at the time.

As for the spiders, i didn't get that feeling, unless i missed something? I mean for example when this thing about trying to stop Peter from saving Norman that didn't feel like them at each others throats, he came to them and they each lay'd down their thoughts and they didn't really try to stop him until he was in the thick of things and even then it was like some shouting match or fight.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hulkout42 View Post
    That seems more dependent on who is writing the Bat family at the time.
    As with every comic book character in existence.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Noronha View Post
    No, he´s become the poor version of himself
    I actually think Spider-Man is getting better:

-616 Spider-Man under Spencer and Zdarksy, while still not married, is a lot more competent and more similar to his pre-OMD characterization.

-There are now two critically-acclaimed mainstream Spider-Man franchises (Insomniac and ITSV's) that feature a competent, adult Peter Parker.

-The Disney cartoons have been canceled and Quesada/Loeb are gone from Marvel Animation. Who knows what an animated Spidey under the guise of Kevin Feige (without the Sony/Disney deal in the way this time) will look like?

-The live-action movies are a bit different...MCU Spider-Man is kinda the epitome of all problems with post-OMD Spider-Man. Still, it will likely not last forever and it's not as if there isn't some growing backlash towards it.