Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Wolverine vs the Thing (not Ben Grimm)

Wolverine vs the Thing From Another World from the John Carpenter re-make of The Thing. Usual Khazan defaults.

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

I expect this boils down to a long, bloody fight that ends when Logan, I don't know, eats the Thing and allows his healing factor to take the win.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Extraordinary Member The Drunkard Kid's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    I expect this boils down to a long, bloody fight that ends when Logan, I don't know, eats the Thing and allows his healing factor to take the win.
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure that Logan's healing factor has trumped stuff like vampirism, so the Thing shouldn't be too much of an issue on that front, and without anything else in the arena to infect, its probably not going to have much recourse against him.

In a scenario match, the Thing might be even more hosed since Logan could probably smell an infection and is trained in ninja stealth, superhero rescuing, and black ops sabotage, so, depending on the location, he could probably get the uninfected out of reasonable infection range, call in an automated vehicle to transport them to safety by sneaking into a communication center, then burn the place to the ground with the Thing trapped inside, assuming that he can't just get any of the super teams that he's on to send in Colossus/Elixer/Magick/Thor/Iron Man/etc... to resolve the issue by themselves while he goes and takes a nap somewhere.

Incredible Member

Also wolverine's insane senses will make it more likely for wolvie to get the drop then the other way around.

(cripse he was able to track in a sewer).

Quote Originally Posted by The Drunkard Kid View Post
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure that Logan's healing factor has trumped stuff like vampirism, so the Thing shouldn't be too much of an issue on that front, and without anything else in the arena to infect, its probably not going to have much recourse against him.
    I'm no biologist but I feel like the Thing is much, much worse than vampirism. Vampirism, from what I understand, doesn't overwrite everything (touching a vampire is fine in and of itself), and I'd hazard to gues that it doesn't really change DNA, either. But moreso, aside from shapeshifting or turning into mist, the Thing's ability to manipulate its own biomolecular structure seems much more varied and powerful than the usual vampire*.

*noting that Dracula might be the exception, but even he doesn't have Clayface-style body manipulation

I would say, though, that if Wolverine's healing factor can handle the Thing, it'll have a much harder, and more painful, time than holding off vampirism.

Extraordinary Member The Drunkard Kid's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    I'm no biologist but I feel like the Thing is much, much worse than vampirism. Vampirism, from what I understand, doesn't overwrite everything (touching a vampire is fine in and of itself), and I'd hazard to gues that it doesn't really change DNA, either. But moreso, aside from shapeshifting or turning into mist, the Thing's ability to manipulate its own biomolecular structure seems much more varied and powerful than the usual vampire*.

*noting that Dracula might be the exception, but even he doesn't have Clayface-style body manipulation

I would say, though, that if Wolverine's healing factor can handle the Thing, it'll have a much harder, and more painful, time than holding off vampirism.
    That's mostly fair, but in the case of Vampirism, it's generally depicted as being somewhat mystical in nature (and I think that the version that he was infected by... Jubilee, I think... specifically was of the magical variety) and Logan's Healing Factor still worked on it just fine.

I'm doubting that Logan can just facetank the Thing in that way, or at least that it's less interesting to my eye if that's what happens.

However even leaving aside that...Logan is kind of hard to exhaust and he'll be able to constantly take slices out of the Thing I think and then vanish away.
    “The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
    -Stephen McCranie

That's mostly fair, but in the case of Vampirism, it's generally depicted as being somewhat mystical in nature (and I think that the version that he was infected by... Jubilee, I think... specifically was of the magical variety) and Logan's Healing Factor still worked on it just fine.
    Yeah, good point about the mystical nature of vampirism.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post

Wolverine has also beat Brood infection, which typically turns people into insect-like monsters.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    Wolverine has also beat Brood infection, which typically turns people into insect-like monsters.
    The Thing's assimilation seems to be much more aggressive, though. At least on normal humans. And the pain of fighting the Brood transformation was enough to incapacitate Logan until he could fully beat it.

Of course, Logan has likely racked up arguably better regen/healing feats since then, too.

In a scenario match, the Thing might be even more hosed since Logan could probably smell an infection and is trained in ninja stealth, superhero rescuing, and black ops sabotage, so, depending on the location, he could probably get the uninfected out of reasonable infection range, call in an automated vehicle to transport them to safety by sneaking into a communication center, then burn the place to the ground with the Thing trapped inside, assuming that he can't just get any of the super teams that he's on to send in Colossus/Elixer/Magick/Thor/Iron Man/etc... to resolve the issue by themselves while he goes and takes a nap somewhere.
    The thing is way more complex than vampirism or the brood it has more in common with say the Phalanx? Has wolverine ever overcome the Phalanx infection?

Astonishing Member

The Thing(s) is complex enough to retain knowledge of alien spaceship unlocking (and Mc Gyverying itself an escaping vehicle with shed stuff) after being in deep-freeze for thousands of years, in addition to its mass-shapeshifting addition of random new beings and memories/behavior patterns. There's a reason the movies always start absolutely isolating it (from a random space crash) and never allow it to leave.

Depending on how much biomass the Thing can be assumed to have at fight begin, it would at the very least relish every chance to stay in contact with Logan's swiping arms (compared to fire or explosions) for as long as a 10 count can possibly be drawn out here.
    Last edited by Wildling; 03-15-2021 at 09:28 PM.

Astonishing Member

Logan could probably smell an infection
    Not saying I wouldn't be surprised if Logan's popularity was able to match for that a Dragon Ball skill curve as of today, but one of the most famous Thing scenes (if not the most famous) was how it could assimilate a dog down to being able to blend in with a group of them until the last possible moment when it felt safe to reveal itself, by making alien hissing sounds the theater audience could hear.

But it's the Arena so moot.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildling View Post
    Not saying I wouldn't be surprised if Logan's popularity was able to match for that a Dragon Ball skill curve as of today, but one of the most famous Thing scenes (if not the most famous) was how it could assimilate a dog down to being able to blend in with a group of them until the last possible moment when it felt safe to reveal itself, by making alien hissing sounds the theater audience could hear.

But it's the Arena so moot.
    It never blends in perfectly with the other dogs they know something ist right right away with the new dog.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    It never blends in perfectly with the other dogs they know something ist right right away with the new dog.
    They never do more than shoot glances at it, being a new dog in the kennel even, then the human character just nudges it for a moment, the dog doesn't make a scene, and everyone forgets all about it a moment later when the lights are turned off. Then all hell breaks loose.

That is why the blood test scene was so effective, the most unassuming human character before infection remained unassuming after infection until the last possible moment.