Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by The Drunkard Kid View Post
    Fixed it for you.
    I stand corrected!

Quote Originally Posted by Wildling View Post
    And I'm STILL scratching my head at this take. The only thing they notice is something new entering their field of vision, which prompt them to shoot a glance and then... go back to minding their own business and not behave any differently until the Thing willingly chose to reveal itself to them some time later. THAT's when the dogs freaked out and knew something wrong was up. That's... just the movie at this point.

I don't have anything to say about Logan not being able to sniff the Thing underdoing any kind of shapeshifting activity, if it was aiming for pray and Logan was around but that's just a)moot for this thread and b)seriously, if this was some urban environment and he knew the Thing was around, Logan would be smart enough to know that instead of indulging hunting instincts he should just call SHIELD or the F4 for some proper quarantining ops.
    Watch the seen again the guy puts the thing dog in with the other dogs who are sleeping they all start to wake up at ones like they know something ist right about the new dog the lights go out all the dogs start growling and fracking out the thing dogs cover is blown that's why thing dogs starts to transform and eat all the other dogs.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    Watch the seen again the guy puts the thing dog in with the other dogs who are sleeping they all start to wake up at ones like they know something ist right about the new dog
    You're reading too much into a scene where we don't even see beforehand if they were fully asleep or just chilling in their kennel, with the lights still on. And for you wanting to believe the dog Thing's arrival was such a shocker they collectively woke up like from a nightmare, they don't even jolt a leg or at least inch away from it. And at least one dog we even see was on its haunches instead of some sleeping position when the Thing arrives.

The guy even lingered a little longer before finally leaving and turning off the lights, as if wanting to make sure the dogs were fine with a new one. Seriously, dude.

the lights go out all the dogs start growling and fracking out the thing dogs cover is blown that's why thing dogs starts to transform and eat all the other dogs.
    ...I already pointed out before, the dogs start barking AFTER the dog Thing starts making not very dog like hissing/deep breathing sounds. At that point, it's clear to even the audience there's something wrong with it.

I'm sorry, but if this is going to become a discussion of a Doctor Doolittle Cut instead of what the movie actually shows, I'm peacing out.

You're reading too much into a scene where we don't even see beforehand if they were fully asleep or just chilling in their kennel, with the lights still on. And for you wanting to believe the dog Thing's arrival was such a shocker they collectively woke up like from a nightmare, they don't even jolt a leg or at least inch away from it. And at least one dog we even see was on its haunches instead of some sleeping position when the Thing arrives.

The guy even lingered a little longer before finally leaving and turning off the lights, as if wanting to make sure the dogs were fine with a new one. Seriously, dude.

...I already pointed out before, the dogs start barking AFTER the dog Thing starts making not very dog like hissing/deep breathing sounds. At that point, it's clear to even the audience there's something wrong with it.

I'm sorry, but if this is going to become a discussion of a Doctor Doolittle Cut instead of what the movie actually shows, I'm peacing out.
    Whatever way you want to interrupt the seen the dog's know something is up weather they are fully asleep or not it doesn't matter thing dog did not fool the other dogs at least not all the way.

Astonishing Member

By the way, digging in to claim the dogs barked at the thing as the lights went out and then that is what "blew" its cover is outright, hit-the-brakes misrepresentation of what actually happened. And for no good reason I can see as far as the actual fight here. The Thing actually initiated hostilities by hissing at them (I can excuse a bunch of dogs barking at another making noises, unnatural or not, at them, the Thing hadn't even started shapeshifting yet, and when it actually does, THAT'S when the dogs start howling to the roof and trying to escape the kennel).

The scene really just shows the Thing waited until the last possible moment to make a move.

By the way, digging in to claim the dogs barked at the thing as the lights went out and then that is what "blew" its cover is outright, hit-the-brakes misrepresentation of what actually happened. And for no good reason I can see as far as the actual fight here. The Thing actually initiated hostilities by hissing at them (I can excuse a bunch of dogs barking at another making noises, unnatural or not, at them, the Thing hadn't even started shapeshifting yet, and when it actually does, THAT'S when the dogs start howling to the roof and trying to escape the kennel).

The scene really just shows the Thing waited until the last possible moment to make a move.
    Why would the thing start transforming if it's cover wasn't blown? That makes no sense and is not how the thing works again the seen plays out like this

1) guy puts thing dog in the cage with other dogs
    2) dogs who may or may not be sleeping or at least are lying down start to look odd at the thing dog
    3) lights go out dog's start going crazy
    4) thing dog transforms and kills the other dogs

This is what happens

Okay, time to review the footage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFavShMJqfo

The dogs do not immediately react, but they are absolutely hostile and freaking out after about one minute. They might be reacting to the audible exhalation of the Thing, which I wouldn't describe as hissing until after the dogs are already on their feet and barking.

Either way, it isn't really relevant to the Khazan Arena. Wolverine will know that he is supposed to fight the Thing.

So how big is the default Thing? I didn't address that in the initial post, because I don't know. If we need additional canon, I would say that Carpenter based his version closely on the original story, Who Goes There?, by John Campbell. I know have a copy laying around somewhere, but it's in an anthology and I'm not sure which one in my collection.

It seems like the Thing has a clear path to victory, if it can overcome Wolverine's mutant healing factor. If it can't, is it possible for Wolverine to kill it? Or can he at least slice it up enough for a ten-count? Based on the head feat in the movie, maybe yes to the ten-count but I think that involved a flamethrower.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shellhead View Post
    The dogs do not immediately react, but they are absolutely hostile and freaking out after about one minute. They might be reacting to the audible exhalation of the Thing, which I wouldn't describe as hissing until after the dogs are already on their feet and barking.
    So you more or less had the same initial impression as me, which is that nothing worth a damn really happened until the Thing was way left alone with the dogs. That's just refreshing, to not be arguing with the movie itself.

Exhalation is fine but it's what I really mean, that sound is coming from the dog Thing (which the camera focuses on, we hear in that clip what the wind outside sounds like, and it's totally different). It's clearly hostile considering what it does immediately after and the rest of the movie, where the Things make inhuman/monstrous sounds whenever they are half-transforming or shifting themselves somehow. I mean even its blood made a shrieking sound during the blood test scene.

So how big is the default Thing?
    Good question. I haven't checked the originals, but even a random infected being seemed able to hulk out a bit bigger than the original shape (the blood test Thing guy seemed somewhat taller and at least easily overpowered a guy to infect him). If it's Carpenter movie end Thing, that was way bigger but it's implied it had assimilated at least another full body mass into itself, if not channeling every organism it had assimilated until then (it popped a kennel dog Thing from its torso).

If we're talking 2nd modern movie Thing at that movie's beginning, the Thing that started everything (movie not by Carpenter anymore but intended to be a prequel even ending IIRC with footage superimposed from Carpenter's movie beginning), that Thing emerged from the spaceship as some Spaceship Trooper style big alien bug thing that could tear itself through roofs and harpoon humans right through as soon as it unfroze enough.

It seems like the Thing has a clear path to victory, if it can overcome Wolverine's mutant healing factor. If it can't, is it possible for Wolverine to kill it? Or can he at least slice it up enough for a ten-count? Based on the head feat in the movie, maybe yes to the ten-count but I think that involved a flamethrower.
    Considering drops of Thing blood have enough vitality to them to shriek and slither away when high temperatures trigger their self-survival instinct, I think Wolverine can't really "kill" a Thing in the Arena, maybe not even contain it, just fight it off. Claws are a poor weapon for it. Then again I heard Wolverine had laser claws recently because why the hell not.

Now since Wolverine's skin and flesh are still human durability, and IIRC major organ or biological function damage can at least temporily incapacitate him, I think a Thing's best chance would be to muscle skewer him with fanged/clawed bioweapons, also shoot digestive acid into him for good measure. While making its flesh if not able to assimilate Wolverine skin outright, at least stick to it like bubblegum from hell.
    Last edited by Wildling; 03-20-2021 at 08:26 PM.