Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Hunter View Post
    Isn't making a remake of a television show even more of a waste of time than remaking a movie? You're just going to spend even more time covering the same ground as the original but in live action.
    Apart from the character's backstories and arcs (Mainly Spike's) I think the concept is fairly flexible/episodic enough that there might be original stories instead of just copying the anime.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Hunter View Post
    Isn't making a remake of a television show even more of a waste of time than remaking a movie? You're just going to spend even more time covering the same ground as the original but in live action.
    No matter how good an anime is there is a huge percentage of people who will never watch it, but those same people might watch a live action show.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Netflix released the opening credits

They straight up recreated the old opening in live action

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    Netflix released the opening credits

That attention to detail makes me really excited to see this. I wasn't super sold on this before but this sneak peak was fantastic.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    Wow, it's something else for the opening credits to a new show to give me that level of nostalgia. Bravo Netflix.

Liking what I've seen so far. Reminds me of Sin City in a way. By making the characters live action, the show seems to make them very realistic, like either Spike, Jet, or Faye are really against the odds.

Some fans arent' feeling it. Me, I'll wait and see.
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

Apart from Ed-and also in a way, Faye-the characters generally were drawn in a fairly realistic fashion, at least compared to the "big eyed" anime stereotype.

Maybe that's why Ed will never work. The character is animated like she's made out of rubber. A lot of anime gets criticized for not giving the characters smooth, Disney-style animation but Ed (and Bebop as a whole) largely featured some well-animated stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Tien Long View Post
    Liking what I've seen so far. Reminds me of Sin City in a way.
    It reminded me of Sin City as well, but not in a good way. I won't judge the show based on the intro, but from the bits they show, I'm concerned about the cinematography of the show making it look cheap. We'll know for sure when we see the show - I'm psyched to see what they do with it.

It was great to see some recognizable characters from the anime, though.

I thought it looked fun and I'm hoping for some new stories than a straightforward adaptation.

I wonder if they have done the Ending Theme in live-action as well.

I wonder if there will also be a Firefly Easter Egg in there as well.

I wouldn't say it's an absolutely faithful re-creation. While some of the poses are similar, the original series opening never had all those shots of all those other characters from the series (Although funny thing is, a fair amount of anime openings do feature events or hints at things that happen at some point in the series, but Bebop is one of the exceptions). There's of course the missing Ed (The 'hand pose' is there but it's obviously not Ed typing)

The English background text has also been 'flipped' to Japanese. Also while there's plenty of Swordfish II, a little bit of the Red Tail and of course the Bebop herself like the original sequence, Jet's Hammerhead is absent.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    I wouldn't say it's an absolutely faithful re-creation. While some of the poses are similar, the original series opening never had all those shots of all those other characters from the series (Although funny thing is, a fair amount of anime openings do feature events or hints at things that happen at some point in the series, but Bebop is one of the exceptions). There's of course the missing Ed (The 'hand pose' is there but it's obviously not Ed typing)

The English background text has also been 'flipped' to Japanese. Also while there's plenty of Swordfish II, a little bit of the Red Tail and of course the Bebop herself like the original sequence, Jet's Hammerhead is absent.
    I realize the opening isn't a 1 for 1 of the anime opening. Faye dance is completely missing for one.

Kind of curious what's up with the knives they've given Faye. Apart from the infamous scene from the movie I don't remember a lot of stuff involving Faye and knives. Maybe to give her a more distinct weapon/skill set from Spike?

Quote Originally Posted by Tien Long View Post
    By making the characters live action, the show seems to make them very realistic, like either Spike, Jet, or Faye are really against the odds.
    Kind of a knock against animation, ain't it? I never had trouble feeling like they were really against the odds watching the anime back in the day.

Ein For The Win!!!

Wow, they really did a great job in the trailer. That being said, I remain completely confident that Netflix is going to **** this up so bad.

I especially love that the response by the Faye actress about the costume controversy was absolutely...masterful. Can't wait to hear her further thoughts about fan expectations.