Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast
Results 91 to 105 of 156
  1. #91

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    You mean an unstable sociopath desperate for a moral compass to emulate? He was like a stray dog begging for a master. I don't think I'd have wanted Vicious to be that.
    No I meant make him more of a physical threat to Spike. His appeal was that he was one of the few characters who could beat Spike in a fight. That's why the anime finale worked and this one didn't.

    Netflix Vicious was never a convincing threat to Netflix Spike to me.

    I don't mind that take either. Vicious isn't that interesting outside of a fight so either flesh him out or keep him in the back pocket. Netflix probably wants this show to go on for a few years. So just create other threats for Spike and the others and save Vicious and Julia till the final season.

    In hindsight, they could've followed in footsteps of the 1990's manga. That was a vaguely canonical spinoff to the anime. It didn't last that long but mostly focused on the crew in new adventures. It even had a brand new main villian called "the scorpion".

    The Scorpion isn't that interesting but he is a blank slate they could do whatever they want with.

    We might get that just in the reverse. Here's hoping Vincent Volaju pick ups the slack. .
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 11-29-2021 at 01:43 PM.

  2. #92
    Extraordinary Member j9ac9k's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    8,009

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    No I meant make him more of a physical threat to Spike. His appeal was that he was one of the few characters who could beat Spike in a fight. That's why the anime finale worked and this one didn't.

    Netflix Vicious was never a convincing threat to Netflix Spike to me.
    I think his big scene taking out *everyone* in the ... throneroom (for lack of a better term) was convincing enough for me in terms of being a physical threat. My preference for Vicious would have been that he was portrayed as cool on the outside, broiling on the inside. I understand that they wanted to make Vicious more of a character here and give him more of a backstory, etc. but they still could have shown a bit more restraint. They chose to make him a wild, irresponsible hothead instead which is what made him less impressive to me.
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 11-29-2021 at 06:52 PM.

  3. #93
    Voice of the Authorities Cleric of Hellís Brigade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    House Deathstalker
    Posts
    12,309

    Default

    Faye and Vicious were the weak links for me. Didn’t like either for the most part (both came off too…..different from their counterparts. The outfits and look were fine, but the attitude for both was just all wrong. Vicious never seemed a legitimate threat and Faye came off too much as a generic action-girl with a bad attitude).

    I did like how the crew came off more like family though, and in those moments I think the Faye actress did a good job.

    Jet (and to a lesser extent Spike) we’re good though. The actor playing Jet was awesome.
    Black Knight of SO
    Owner/Operator of SOís Item/Weapon Shop
    Claimer of the original Rumbles 2,000,000th post
    CBR GM/DM

  4. #94
    older Mormel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    1,942

    Default

    I like how, whether people loved this, hated it, or were somewhere in the middle, most agree that Mustafa Shakir knocked it out of the ballpark with his Jet. I also loved him as Bushmaster on Cage.



    Now doesn't that fight look like something out of a Shinichiro Watanabe show?
    Take my dreams, childish and weak at the seams
    Please don't analyze, please just be there for me

  5. #95
    Extraordinary Member ChrisIII's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    6,031

    Default

    It's almost scary how much Shakir sounds exactly like Beau Billingslea (The dub actor).
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

    https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

  6. #96
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    784

    Default

    Just finished watching this show. I was impressed. Much, much better than I thought it would be. Best live action adaptation of a animie show I’ve ever seen.

  7. #97
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,647

    Default

    I'm sorry. It was just a snooze for me. While I liked the actors, the plot could have been a crime drama in a plain old city anywhere. The space aspects were irrelevant. The anime was much better.

  8. #98

    Default

    https://www.cbr.com/cowboy-bebop-joh...er-darker/amp/

    Spike's actor John Cho tells us his hopes for Season 2.

  9. #99
    Extraordinary Member j9ac9k's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    8,009

    Default

    After finishing out the season, I like it enough to want to see more but I won't be sad if it doesn't get a second season.

    They tried so hard to emulate the anime in so many ways that it took awhile to get into what they were trying to do that was different.(and mostly not as good) All I could see were the differences at first. After awhile, I started to appreciate how they were doing their own thing, (I'm fine with how they reinterpreted Faye - I think the actress does a good job) but by the end of its first season I don't think there was enough of it for me to buy in to what they were going for.

    It might sound odd, but the thing this reminded me most of was "Preacher" in terms of tone and how it worked as an adaptation. However, I think that was more successful and won me over almost right away with their take on the source material.
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 12-03-2021 at 07:59 PM.

  10. #100
    Silver Sentinel BeastieRunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    West Coast, USA
    Posts
    12,772

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cleric of Hell’s Brigade View Post
    Faye and Vicious were the weak links for me. Didn’t like either for the most part (both came off too…..different from their counterparts. The outfits and look were fine, but the attitude for both was just all wrong. Vicious never seemed a legitimate threat and Faye came off too much as a generic action-girl with a bad attitude).

    I did like how the crew came off more like family though, and in those moments I think the Faye actress did a good job.

    Jet (and to a lesser extent Spike) we’re good though. The actor playing Jet was awesome.
    Ed is going to be the most interesting to adapt IMHO.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

  11. #101
    Extraordinary Member j9ac9k's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    8,009

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    Ed is going to be the most interesting to adapt IMHO.
    That's going to be a "love it or HATE it" situation.

  12. #102

    Default

    I gotta be honest, I'm always annoyed by the superhero trope of not killing the bad guys who are trying to kill you

  13. #103

    Default

    I'm always wary of when they take an awesome anime and convert it to live action. At least they didn't try to cram all of it into one movie.

    The biggest problem they seem to face is not casting correctly or capturing the spirit of the anime. The other problem is not quite knowing what tone you want to take or whether to stray from the anime and make it your own or try to be faithful to the anime beat by beat.
    It always feels like they ride the middle ground which is not the best of both worlds but rather just ends up being "meh" at best and horrible at worst.


    I have tons of custom Superhero videos I've made on my channel, check them out https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClQ...AOWthhOzp9qpsA
    Last edited by Eternity_TARO; 12-05-2021 at 05:53 PM.

  14. #104
    Extraordinary Member ChrisIII's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    6,031

    Default

    Kind of a bit worried about how Netflix's Gundam is going to turn out, especially if they're trying to put it in one movie. Then again, apart from the same studio (and some of the creative staff for Bebop were involved in the 90's Gundam OAVS-08th Ms team's character designs in particular due to the same designer) it's a very different show(s).

    Then again Jordan Vogt-Roberts seems to move fairly slowly with his films development. Metal Gear Solid was announced half a decade ago and hasn't moved beyond concept art and possibly Oscar Isaac as Snake.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

    https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

  15. #105

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Kind of a bit worried about how Netflix's Gundam is going to turn out, especially if they're trying to put it in one movie. Then again, apart from the same studio (and some of the creative staff for Bebop were involved in the 90's Gundam OAVS-08th Ms team's character designs in particular due to the same designer) it's a very different show(s).

    Then again Jordan Vogt-Roberts seems to move fairly slowly with his films development. Metal Gear Solid was announced half a decade ago and hasn't moved beyond concept art and possibly Oscar Isaac as Snake.
    It would work better as a new story. Ironically maybe Cowboy Bebop should've been a trilogy of movies while Gundam is a series.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 12-06-2021 at 11:10 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •