Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

I agree. I said this before, I watched being a fan of the anime. But this was a bore. Just trying to see flashes of the anime instantiated in this series wasn't enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    From the article...
    According to Netflix’s Top 10 site, the series has racked up almost 74 million viewing hours worldwide since its debut — so it got plenty of sampling out of the gate — but it plummeted 59 percent for the week of Nov. 29 to Dec. 5.
    59% drop from episode 1 to episode 2? So basically fans took a bite to see what CB tasted like then spat it out & said, "nah, we're good. So Netflix cut them off at the knees without hesitation.

By the way, doesn't Netflix has "One Piece"as well, yes?

Why Netflix's Cowboy Bebop Is A Great Sign For Live-Action One Piece

Netflix's first glimpse at Cowboy Bebop has received positive reactions so far - a great sign for the platform's upcoming live-action One Piece.
    By Craig Elvy Published Oct 01, 2021
    https://screenrant.com/cowboy-bebop-...d-sign-reason/

Can't.
    Wait.

^and Gundam. Although it's intended to be just one movie.

It's written by Brian K. Vaughan still, I think.
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 12-14-2021 at 01:59 PM.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Incredible Member

I guess the actor in the movie not happy either it was cancelled.

https://youtu.be/u6v9GffAxrw

https://youtu.be/nsxh34m2U0o

Incredible Member Wandering_Wand's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gwhh View Post
    I guess the actor in the movie not happy either it was cancelled.

https://youtu.be/u6v9GffAxrw

https://youtu.be/nsxh34m2U0o
    I'm just gonna say this about crap like this...

Cowboy Bebop was one of those IPs that was deemed untouchable. You talk to the majority of its fanbase and you'll be hard pressed to find people who wanted a live action or any other adaptation. I think CB fans were "smart" enough to know that the nuances of what made CB couldn't be translated into another medium. I agree with that. I still gave the LA a chance and thought it was interesting enough to see where they were going for a second season though.

As far as Daniella Pineda goes, she bit into the trolls from day one and latched on. By her feeding them, she played into their hands and came across as petty in her own right by trying to "own" the trolls/incels/fanboys who wanted a Faye Valentine just like in the anime. And let's be honest and fair, Faye's anime design isn't realistic for the majority of women and I won't argue whether it should be, is, etc. It is what it is. But her responses and video essays trying to "get back" at these fools ended up making her look like one, in my opinion.

I very much like Mustafa's thanks and good bye more than anyone else's so far. He was sorry and sad, also happy for what they were able to accomplish, said maybe the haters got them or maybe it just wasn't that good. He took it with grace, owned it, and let it be. Ironically for me, he was the best part of the show and he gained a fan from my end.

Honestly I thought it was more pragmatic to adapt Cowboy Bebop than most shonens. It's easier to pitch Spike, Faye and Jet to an American film producer. They are film noir archetypes put in a sci-fi setting. I wouldn't be surprised if they pitched the show as "Guardians of the Galaxy meets Blade Runner".

To me it's the main villians that are the problem. Vicious and Julia are misused and wasted.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 12-15-2021 at 04:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wandering_Wand View Post
    As far as Daniella Pineda goes, she bit into the trolls from day one and latched on. By her feeding them, she played into their hands and came across as petty in her own right by trying to "own" the trolls/incels/fanboys who wanted a Faye Valentine just like in the anime. And let's be honest and fair, Faye's anime design isn't realistic for the majority of women and I won't argue whether it should be, is, etc. It is what it is. But her responses and video essays trying to "get back" at these fools ended up making her look like one, in my opinion.
    Yeah, it came across to me as a rookie mistake - don't feed the trolls!

And about those videos, I'm automatically wary of anyone who uses "Get Woke, Go Broke" as some flag of victory. To me, it indicates someone who's stuck in the 20th century, who was so indoctrinated by the endless stream of straight white male exceptionalism that anything else strikes them as unnatural because it's discordant to their worldview and is motivated by "an agenda" and is "political" while completely oblivious to the practice of maintaining the status quo of straight white male exceptionalism wasn't an agenda back then.

Yes, there are some things that are heavy-handed, but that's always been the case. There are also many things that represent the more progressive side of culture, and that side has proven to win in the end, even if there are the inevitable fails. (as there always is, whether it's "woke" or not) And does anyone really think of this as some "woke" version of Bebop? Aside from not dressing Faye in that ridiculous outfit, how was it "woke?" Was X-Men woke for not dressing Jackman in blue and yellow spandex?

Ugh, I tried not addressing this, and just letting it be ... but, oh well...
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 12-15-2021 at 09:41 PM.

I feel like "Don't feed the trolls" is easier said than done when you aren't the one the trolls are targeting.

I can't speak to whether Pineda's response was justified or not, but I certainly don't blame her for it.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    I feel like "Don't feed the trolls" is easier said than done when you aren't the one the trolls are targeting.

I can't speak to whether Pineda's response was justified or not, but I certainly don't blame her for it.
    It may not be easy depending on who they are but not feeding the trolls is truly the best way to beat them. Acknowledging them only empowers them and give motivation to continue to do it.

Astonishing Member

^^ Agree with this statement.
    "I love mankind...it's people I can't stand!!"

- Charles Schultz.

Finished it. Kind of a shame how Mad Pierrot turned out-in the original he was a guy who Spike ran into purely by chance, in this he was hired by Vicious, seemed a lot more sane (although not by much) and shared a past with Ein enough to hack him. His "floating" didn't translate well to live action, kind of obvious it was wirework. Also instead of the Batman inspired villain he was in the anime, they just went for pretty much Blade Runner it seems (A mix of Priss and Neary) .
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 12-24-2021 at 05:26 PM.

It's kind of funny that the Netflix series actually kind of toned UP the nudity, profanity, violence etc. Usually with anime adaptations it's often the other way around...

Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wandering_Wand View Post

I was looking forward to this show and had no problem with the appearance of the cast, but I agree, Daniella's Statement did come off as petty. Hollywood attacking the fans/critics have been becoming more common recently. When I see them do that, it only discourages me from tuning in to any future projects they'd do.

If I was cast for the show and fans were concerned about me not looking the part I'd have just said something along the lines of, "I love Cowboy Bebop and happy to be a part of this project. I know I might not look exactly like the character but I'm going to try my absolute best to pull it off so all I ask for is a chance."

If I heard that, I'd just be more encouraged to watch the show.

Bottom Line: Hollywood today really lacks originality. If you lack the creativity make something new and would rather milk a previous successful franchise, then go ahead. But if you do, you need to remember that franchise already has a fanbase you're trying to cater to and they don't want to see something they love tarnished. (which also is becoming a major Hollywood Trend lately so of course fans are going to be concerned) Attacking them for their passion is just a stupid move in my books.
    Last edited by Godzilla2099; 12-24-2021 at 07:33 PM.

^^ While I think the actress made a mistake to reply the way she did, let's not forget how much some "passionate" fans these days also act like giant assholes at the drop of a hat to express their desire to torpedo projects they dislike before they're even released. And while it's easy to think of "Hollywood" as some monolithic entity, these are still people, which the trolls tend to overlook in their "passionate" tirades.
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 12-24-2021 at 08:22 PM.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMepjjkL5zc

Critical Drinker did a great video about this. "How to kill a franchise in 5 easy steps."

He talks about the video she did as being one of the things wrong.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.