Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    I feel the same way. I'm glad this is over. This was a huge disappointment for me. Ed will be spared.
    I did not get that far, what did they do to Ed?

three-time juror The Gold Stream's Avatar

now thats some good fortune

Canceled after one season. Man, this is like Firefly all over again.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hulkout42 View Post
    I did not get that far, what did they do to Ed?
    Ed only appeared for 40 seconds. Her appearance was used as a sequel hook. While it was brief, her personality and outfit does not translate to live action well. I would imagine they would need to dial her back to prevent people from punching their TVs.

Incredible Member Wandering_Wand's Avatar

I finished the live action series last week.
    Honestly, I enjoyed it enough that I would have been willing to watch a season two. I understand the common complaints with it, especially as someone who is a big fan of the anime. However, I'm able to distinguish they were trying for a decent adaptation with the showrunner's own personal flare. Some of it worked, some of it didn't.
    Far from a perfect show, but I felt there were some things that could have easily been fixed in season two. Ah well, probably for the best this was put down.

I feel for John Cho and Mustafa. Mustafa ran the entire show as far as I'm concerned. It took me a few eps to warm up to John, but thought he did pretty well. Mustafa had me sold immediately, I really think he carried the show on his shoulders and he did great. Loved him as Jet and I'm seeing a lot of that same sentiment around the webs for him. Could it be because he was arguably the "closest" translation from the anime?

I think the biggest downfall of this show was the writing. It was weak. There was little depth and honestly no depth when compared to the anime. A lot (not all) of the humor was forced and cringey. And I wasn't sold on Pineda's take on Faye and thought she was a bit cringey at times as well.

Even so, like I said above, I was willing to watch a second season. It is what it is and Netflix is making a business decision they think is best for their company. It is pretty crappy that so many Netflix shows get axed after just one season when they are literally churning out crap every week to see what sticks and what doesn't.

I liked the show too. Would be there for season 2. I image Netflix has some kind of analytics that show whether a show is gaining or losing viewers as it goes on. And even if the overall numbers are good, they decide on some projected viewership.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Incredible Member Wandering_Wand's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    I liked the show too. Would be there for season 2. I image Netflix has some kind of analytics that show whether a show is gaining or losing viewers as it goes on. And even if the overall numbers are good, they decide on some projected viewership.
    If I'm not mistaken, they made it seem like there was a reasonable enough launch but they said by week two there was over a 50% drop in viewership. So basically translated, it lost over half of its viewership in the second week compared to the first.

I'm not sure how that compares to other Netflix titles.

Quote Originally Posted by Wandering_Wand View Post
    If I'm not mistaken, they made it seem like there was a reasonable enough launch but they said by week two there was over a 50% drop in viewership. So basically translated, it lost over half of its viewership in the second week compared to the first.

I'm not sure how that compares to other Netflix titles.
    Yeah, I suspect most Netflix shows (or shows in general) don't suffer from anywhere near that great of an audience drop in two episodes lol.

I didn't hate it but I also didn't love it. It was meh to me. The Anime is epic but this is okay at best. Some material simply doesn't translate to another medium.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

It was always going to be a problematic proposition to take something that blew people away with its originality and ... produce a copy. Maybe the showrunners should have adapted the spirit of the first and try to do something that felt more original.

I would have liked to see how they would have departed more from the original in the second season, (their use of Julia already set up a new direction for the show) but this first season was like that first time you bite into something that you think is one thing because of how it looks, but it's something else. Not that the thing is bad, it's just that first bite, all you could think is "Oh, this isn't what it looks like." We just didn't have enough time with this show to get over the initial "this isn't the same" reaction.
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 12-11-2021 at 07:14 PM.

Yeah, pretty much the entire series just kind of adapted storylines from the anime with some elements changed or switched around (Such as Maria Murdock's virus turning people- rather violently!-into trees instead of apes) without doing it's own thing apart from the added Vicious/Julia/Syndicate stuff.

One change that kind of worked was rolling all of Jet's multiple contacts still in the force-kind of a cliche in the anime-to the Chalmers character.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    At the rate that they are going, that handle is going to run out of room for notches.
    It is eventually going to bite them in the rear end with all these other streaming venues.

Fox eventually suffered too. 40+ shows that aired after Married With Children never made it past season 1.
    The CW would not be around if DC shows did not save them after how they screwed over Veronica Mars, Black shows and WWE-7 years of short lived shows that tried to replace them.

That eventually makes you a bad business partner.

Axing a show in less than a month? They act like folks don't have lives. Not everyone can have a week off of work like school folks and kids.

They might as well do mini series and if they WARRANT a second year-do it. If not at least allow for a complete story to be told instead of having a large collection of shows with cliffhanger endings.

Maybe part of the problem is putting the whole season on at the same time?
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

What this show does with Gren is a travesty. He had a great 2 part arc in the anime and being reduced to the bar owner's best friend is terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    What this show does with Gren is a travesty. He had a great 2 part arc in the anime and being reduced to the bar owner's best friend is terrible.
    This show is a travesty period, at least it is history now. Sometimes the system works.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."