Extraordinary Member

Default Naruto part 1 vs.Early One Piece

I recall years and years ago that One Piece was considered a stronger setting than Naruto. Naturally that changed when Naruto started throwing around mountain busting splosions, but It seems like Earlier Naruto has been getting a reevaluation feat wise, so I figure I might as well make a new thread to test things out. See if the old consensus still applies.

Part on of Naruto was 244 chapters. Chapter 244 was the early days of Skypeia, so I'm going to round down and say that for this thread, One Piece gets it's feats up to the Alabasta Saga.

1. Naruto Uzumaki vs Monkey D. Luffy
    2. Sasuke Uchiha vs Roronoa Zoro
    3. Sakura Uchiha vs Nami
    4. Shikamaru Nara vs Ussop
    5. Kakashi vs Sanji
    6. Choji Akimichi vs Tony Tony Chopper
    7. Kankuro vs Nico Robin
    8. Gaara vs Crocodile
    9. Zabuza Momochi vs Arlong
    10. Orochimaru vs Mr. 2 Bon Kurei

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jcogginsa View Post
    but It seems like Earlier Naruto has been getting a reevaluation feat wise,
    We've had like... one maybe two threads about Part 1 Naruto recently and neither brought anything new to the table. I am not a fan of this language as it suggests a larger trend or sentiment that I don't think exists.

Still on with the thread.

Part on of Naruto was 244 chapters. Chapter 244 was the early days of Skypeia, so I'm going to round down and say that for this thread, One Piece gets it's feats up to the Alabasta Saga.
    Hmm, that hurts One Piece a bit as the Monster Trio got some pretty dope feats in the Skypeia arc, notably speed.

1. Naruto Uzumaki vs Monkey D. Luffy
    Naruto is likely faster, Luffy's speed feats are somewhat ambiguous, though present, at this point. That said, Naruto has basically nothing that can hurt him as the Rasengan is his best move and that's blunt damage, which Luffy doesn't care about. He had... one tail form in terms of his kyuubi power but it wasn't something he could fully control. Luffy really only needs to clip him to do some pretty devastating damage.

I'd back Luffy here myself.

2. Sasuke Uchiha vs Roronoa Zoro
    Zoro is considerably stronger as he has his big stone house throwing feat by this point, he's also durable enough that he can eat multiple bladed attacks that cut through multiple foot thick stone and he was still up and fighting. He's also got some pretty good speed feats from his performance against Baroque Works in Roguetown.

Sasuke has move reading, he's likely a bit faster if we scale off his apparently analogy to Rock Lee (I don't recall if that was specifically unweighted Rock Lee or not?) I think he only got the maximum speed when he used Chidori but my memory of the specifics there is a bit hazy.

Again, Zoro is stupidly more durable and physically quite a bit more powerful but he doesn't have any range game here. I'd say advantage Zoro but Sasuke is capable of winning this.

3. Sakura Uchiha vs Nami
    Nami in Alabasta can barely fight and only has the prototype Clima-Tact which isn't very good. Sakura, lacking in good feats though she is, at least has feats at all and she should beat he.

4. Shikamaru Nara vs Ussop
    Ussop, similarly, doesn't have many combat feats to his name at this point. I could see him winning the odd one but it's not until post Skypeia that he takes a few levels in badass. Shikamaru is smart enough and savvy enough to beat him.

5. Kakashi vs Sanji
    As per usual, Sanji is waaaay stronger. He's not got... many speed feats to his name at this juncture and Kakashi is real good at substitution and being evasive and has a ton of options. Sanji could win... but I don't think Kakashi is clumsy enough to let him get many wins.

It will take a while as Sanji is incredibly durable and just keeps going but I think Kakashi should take this pretty convincingly.

6. Choji Akimichi vs Tony Tony Chopper
    Erm... basic Rumble versus Soldier Pills... I mean, Mothra Chouji flattens this as Monster Chopper technically doesn't exist yet.

7. Kankuro vs Nico Robin
    Robin is kind of tailor-made to **** up puppet characters, she can bypass his puppets defensive line and just snap Kankuro's neck or spine with ease.

8. Gaara vs Crocodile
    Crocodile is much more durable and tends to work on somewhat of a more epic scale than Gaara at this point. He's also got his poison hook and water hand which could be instant kills if he touches Gaara direct. Gaara might be able to control him if he can force enough chakra into his body but I don't think that would be possible before Crocodile kills him.

9. Zabuza Momochi vs Arlong
    Part 1 Zabuza was pretty lame all things considered. Arlong really only needs to tap him to kill him. Plus Arlong is extremely durable to boot and has a better range game.

10. Orochimaru vs Mr. 2 Bon Kurei
    Orochimaru has too many gimmicks, even if he's only limited to Part 1. A guy who's abilities are "change face," and "kick real good," isn't going to slow him down too much.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    We've had like... one maybe two threads about Part 1 Naruto recently and neither brought anything new to the table. I am not a fan of this language as it suggests a larger trend or sentiment that I don't think exists.

Still on with the thread.
    I never said that the reevaluation was new, I just said that it happened in the span of time I wasn't paying attention to this match up. That's pre-board reboot era.

One thing I definitely remember about back then was that back then Naruto as a setting weren't considered to be on bullet timer levels, but that has certainly changed.
    Hmm, that hurts One Piece a bit as the Monster Trio got some pretty dope feats in the Skypeia arc, notably speed.

Naruto is likely faster, Luffy's speed feats are somewhat ambiguous, though present, at this point. That said, Naruto has basically nothing that can hurt him as the Rasengan is his best move and that's blunt damage, which Luffy doesn't care about. He had... one tail form in terms of his kyuubi power but it wasn't something he could fully control. Luffy really only needs to clip him to do some pretty devastating damage.

I'd back Luffy here myself.
    I don't think I'd consider the Rasengan blunt damage. It's more like grinding damage
    Zoro is considerably stronger as he has his big stone house throwing feat by this point, he's also durable enough that he can eat multiple bladed attacks that cut through multiple foot thick stone and he was still up and fighting. He's also got some pretty good speed feats from his performance against Baroque Works in Roguetown.

Sasuke has move reading, he's likely a bit faster if we scale off his apparently analogy to Rock Lee (I don't recall if that was specifically unweighted Rock Lee or not?) I think he only got the maximum speed when he used Chidori but my memory of the specifics there is a bit hazy.

Again, Zoro is stupidly more durable and physically quite a bit more powerful but he doesn't have any range game here. I'd say advantage Zoro but Sasuke is capable of winning this.

Ussop, similarly, doesn't have many combat feats to his name at this point. I could see him winning the odd one but it's not until post Skypeia that he takes a few levels in badass. Shikamaru is smart enough and savvy enough to beat him.
    Ussop has still had a couple fights at this point. Plus

Robin is kind of tailor-made to **** up puppet characters, she can bypass his puppets defensive line and just snap Kankuro's neck or spine with ease.
    Kankuro could always hide inside his wrappings like he did in his prelim fight. That would at least buy him time to get off an attack

I never said that the reevaluation was new, I just said that it happened in the span of time I wasn't paying attention to this match up. That's pre-board reboot era.

One thing I definitely remember about back then was that back then Naruto as a setting weren't considered to be on bullet timer levels, but that has certainly changed.
    Ah, I see. You said "has been getting," so I assumed you meant in the present tense.

I don't think I'd consider the Rasengan blunt damage. It's more like grinding damage
    I'd personally dispute that but neither form of damage is really a problem for Luffy to just broadly ignore.

Ussop has still had a couple fights at this point. Plus
    He had fought Chu, who was a moron who did not register Usopp as threat, whom he mostly beat through setting him on fire and then repeatedly hitting him with a hammer. And he fought Mr 4 and Mole Lady and did no real damage to either of them.

Kankuro could always hide inside his wrappings like he did in his prelim fight. That would at least buy him time to get off an attack
    That would count as prep surely? And therefore not legal without OP dispensation.

Extraordinary Member

Ah, I see. You said "has been getting," so I assumed you meant in the present tense.

I'd personally dispute that but neither form of damage is really a problem for Luffy to just broadly ignore.

He had fought Chu, who was a moron who did not register Usopp as threat, whom he mostly beat through setting him on fire and then repeatedly hitting him with a hammer. And he fought Mr 4 and Mole Lady and did no real damage to either of them.

That would count as prep surely? And therefore not legal without OP dispensation.
    I don't recall if that was confirmed to be prep time or not.

We know he can get his puppet out and have it replace someone with a significant degree of speed, as during the Chuunin exam he was able to have it take the place of one of the proctors without anyone noticing. So the possibility that he just Substituted himself with his own puppet at the start of the fight is possible.

I don't recall if that was confirmed to be prep time or not.

We know he can get his puppet out and have it replace someone with a significant degree of speed, as during the Chuunin exam he was able to have it take the place of one of the proctors without anyone noticing. So the possibility that he just Substituted himself with his own puppet at the start of the fight is possible.
    And that would be entirely conjecture on your part.

Even if Kankuro were to try the disguise as a puppet trick Robin can hold down each individual piece of his puppets rather easily, she really is tailor made to be his worst nightmare

Gaara vs Crocodile I will say I think the consensus used to be that Garra's sand mixed with blood gave him an edge, as that particular fight tended to pop up back when those arcs were new. Which reminds me how long I've been here again.

Extraordinary Member

And that would be entirely conjecture on your part.
    And him doing it ahead of time is similarly conjecture, so we're even there

And him doing it ahead of time is similarly conjecture, so we're even there
    No it isn't, it's the more logical position.

In the fight at the Chunin Exams, "Kankuro" immediately gets grabbed and put into a lock. His opponent breaks his neck, apparently winning, then it is revealed that "Kankuro" is his puppet and that the real Kankuro was in the wrappings the whole time. There's no implication of a substitution jutsu being used or that Kankuro somehow managed to change places with the puppet when he got grabbed.

Your conjecture is claiming that he did. The more intuitive reading of the fight is that he was always in the wrapping and got into that position prior to the fight beginning. One of these positions requires a completely unsupported reading of what happened and the other is like... what happened.

Extraordinary Member The Drunkard Kid's Avatar

Alabasta Arc Nami probably stomps the crap out of Pre-Timeskip Sakura. Girl is strong enough to send multiple fully grown adult pirates flying with a swing of her staff, IIRC, and her staff gives her more versatility than Sakura has got without prep (at least once she realized how to use it). She is also fast enough to pick someone's pocket mid-conversation without them noticing, which is probably at least as good a reflex feat as anything pre-Shippuden Sakura has.

The main issue would be for Nami to actually catch Sakura since her chakra manipulation will let her run up walls and do superhuman jumps, which Nami can't do. Also, while Sakura would be destroyed if she takes the prototype Clima-Tact's ultimate attack (which smacked Miss Doublefinger through multiple walls and OHKO'd her), Bunshin no Jutsu and Kawarimi no Jutsu might be enough to make Nami miss that shot, which I believe rendered her Clima-Tact useless until that tool was packed back into the staff.

OTOH, while they both have a lot of determination, I think that Nami's showing of willing to impale her own foot or stab herself in the hand is better on that front, so she might be more liable to tank a kunai-stab to a non-lethal area if it means that the real Sakura is within smacking range. Especially since Bunshin and Kawarimi are both ubiquitous ninja skills and therefore probably fall under the domain of "common knowledge" while even Nami didn't know what her staff did until the middle of her fight at the end of the Alabasta Arc and Ussop didn't have any idea how powerful Nami could make that final attack, IIRC.

Did Sakura ever use explosive tags in a fight, pre-timeskip? Like, I'm pretty sure that they are common gear, but not something that she normally has ready to throw.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Drunkard Kid View Post
    Alabasta Arc Nami probably stomps the crap out of Pre-Timeskip Sakura. Girl is strong enough to send multiple fully grown adult pirates flying with a swing of her staff, IIRC, and her staff gives her more versatility than Sakura has got without prep (at least once she realized how to use it). She is also fast enough to pick someone's pocket mid-conversation without them noticing, which is probably at least as good a reflex feat as anything pre-Shippuden Sakura has.

The main issue would be for Nami to actually catch Sakura since her chakra manipulation will let her run up walls and do superhuman jumps, which Nami can't do. Also, while Sakura would be destroyed if she takes the prototype Clima-Tact's ultimate attack (which smacked Miss Doublefinger through multiple walls and OHKO'd her), Bunshin no Jutsu and Kawarimi no Jutsu might be enough to make Nami miss that shot, which I believe rendered her Clima-Tact useless until that tool was packed back into the staff.

OTOH, while they both have a lot of determination, I think that Nami's showing of willing to impale her own foot or stab herself in the hand is better on that front, so she might be more liable to tank a kunai-stab to a non-lethal area if it means that the real Sakura is within smacking range. Especially since Bunshin and Kawarimi are both ubiquitous ninja skills and therefore probably fall under the domain of "common knowledge" while even Nami didn't know what her staff did until the middle of her fight at the end of the Alabasta Arc and Ussop didn't have any idea how powerful Nami could make that final attack, IIRC.

Did Sakura ever use explosive tags in a fight, pre-timeskip? Like, I'm pretty sure that they are common gear, but not something that she normally has ready to throw.
    I think she used some when she set up the traps in the Forest of Death? Not sure.