Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Default I miss Mark Guggenheim and Cullen Bunn.

Here we go.

I know it’s an unpopular opinion by some in the X-Fandom but I miss X-Men Gold by Guggenheim and X-Men Blue by Bunn. The characters we’re recognizable. They aren’t so much anymore in the HOX/POX era.

But hey I have bought every single X issue for years now so I can’t speak with my wallet and not buy them cause I support everything regardless if I’m enjoying it. Cause my hope is loving it so I have to buy them all. Ugh.

Kitty being a drunken moron for most of the stuff. OOC. Eye Boy being written completely OOC. The stupid wink wink there might be threesomes but we’ll never tell you so it’s not canon and etc. I just want this era to be over. And now you got a bunch of hot mess outfits for a stupid gala. Give me a break.

I’m counting on Simon Spurrier and Robert Quinn to give me something great cause they really need to save this run.

It’s a shame cause I love Gerry Duggan but whatever plot points Hickman is making him do.. just doesn’t work.

Let’s not to mention Hickman and his handling of Sunspot. Putting him with an alien bird? Really.

Anyway. I hope Guggenheim and Bunn get to do some stuff soon. Also, can they put Todd Nauck back on a book? Please?

I miss Cullen Bunn, yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Cullen Bunn is a great writer. I wasn't too familiar with his name until he did New 52 Sinestro.

I wasn't a big DC fan (collected random stuff here and there) - but with the New 52, it seemed like a clean slate. So I jumped on then and collected all of it.

And Bunn's Sinestro was amazing. I wasn't big into knowing the lore of the Lanterns, but having collected all the New 52 books (and the multiple Lantern titles) - I learned (the new 52 version of the lore, not sure how different it is than the "standard").

And what Bunn did there was amazing.

So go to when they brought the 05 to this timeline for the X-Men. I hated it. Absolutely hated it. Hated it with my heart and soul. Wanted to burn it all in fire.

Even wrote a little bit about it for the podcast I do (Part 1 and Part 2. )

So when I learned he was doing X-Men Blue, I screamed at the gods - how could they do this to me?

I, naturally, picked it up. My problem - Bunn did a fine job telling great stories - I was unable, however, to see past my dislike of the characters. Which made it difficult for me to enjoy. Collected it to the end though.

His Uncanny X-Men, I thought was great. Different than "X-Men from my days" being the old man that I am, but still absolutely great.
    Need Comics? Consider using my Affiliate link - helps keep my Podcast ad free!
    https://www.mycomicshop.com/?AffID=1055159P01
    Check out the Comic Relief Podcast! - The podcast all about comics!

I'm hoping Cullen could come back and do a title.

Bunn was a great writer, but Blue is terrible.

If let me pick between Gulgen/Blunn and DOX books, I'd choose latter one (but I'm not saying Duggan's books are better lol)

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Bunn was good, though he had his opportunities during a very bad time. He'd probably be a better fit for, say, X-force than Percy is.

Missing Guggenheim...well, if you love nostalgia for nostalgia sake, have no interest in new ideas or directions, and want a writer that copies everything that happened in the 80's and tries to pretend nothing different happen in the last decades in style, substance or characterization, not to mention makes every plot, every idea and every resolution about Kitty Pryde (well, except for Kurt dating a girl he met when she was a troubled teenager and to whom he was an authority figure), he's your man.

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    I'm hoping Cullen could come back and do a title.
    I don't think this is gonna happen, he throw shade on Marvel after leaving, so did Sina Grace.

Can't say that I do, to be quite honest.

I'm enjoying everything about the Hickman era, the little flaws far outweigh the past two decades of recycled, non-creative storylines that have saturated the x-offices.

Excited for this era years to come.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Slicknickshady View Post
    Here we go.

I know it’s an unpopular opinion by some in the X-Fandom but I miss X-Men Gold by Guggenheim and X-Men Blue by Bunn. The characters we’re recognizable. They aren’t so much anymore in the HOX/POX era.

But hey I have bought every single X issue for years now so I can’t speak with my wallet and not buy them cause I support everything regardless if I’m enjoying it. Cause my hope is loving it so I have to buy them all. Ugh.

Kitty being a drunken moron for most of the stuff. OOC. Eye Boy being written completely OOC. The stupid wink wink there might be threesomes but we’ll never tell you so it’s not canon and etc. I just want this era to be over. And now you got a bunch of hot mess outfits for a stupid gala. Give me a break.

I’m counting on Simon Spurrier and Robert Quinn to give me something great cause they really need to save this run.

It’s a shame cause I love Gerry Duggan but whatever plot points Hickman is making him do.. just doesn’t work.

Let’s not to mention Hickman and his handling of Sunspot. Putting him with an alien bird? Really.

Anyway. I hope Guggenheim and Bunn get to do some stuff soon. Also, can they put Todd Nauck back on a book? Please?
    I'm baffled how you hate Duggan's Kate but have no problem whatsoever with how Guggenheim wrote Gold.

Say what you want about Duggan but he doesn't go out of his way to completely humiliate his team every issue to prop up Kate like Guggenheim did with Storm and Rachel.

Also those Gala outfits are the epitome of high fashion mixed with mutant aesthetic. I love them. They're supposed to be over the top and gaudy it's a freaking Gala!

Quote Originally Posted by WildR View Post
    Bunn was a great writer, but Blue is terrible.

If let me pick between Gulgen/Blunn and DOX books, I'd choose latter one (but I'm not saying Duggan's books are better lol)
    I wholeheartedly agree. It was easy to see that Bunn's heart wasn't in Blue.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Gold was better than Blue and Gold was generic AF.
    I was trying to do too much and not doing any of it as well as I could. But I've had a change of mind... though not everyone shall enjoy it. I will.

#midnightermonday #uglystepchildren #lolgbtcomedyshow

Tumblr: http://newmutantmayhem.tumblr.com/

IG: https://www.instagram.com/ginger_drew/

Extraordinary Member Silver Fang's Avatar

I definitely miss Bunn. His Uncanny X-Men still remains the only team book that had my interest -at least positively.

Hickman ain't living up to the hype yet, from the bits & pieces I follow these days.

Quote Originally Posted by NewMutant View Post
    Gold was better than Blue and Gold was generic AF.
    Blue was better than Gold, lot more dynamic

Blue was good. Not all that good but it was so forced some tie ins

His original pitch was great the O5 as the Exiles are far more interesting than what we got?

But i understand that Xmen Blue was the road to Jean and Scott return

In the interest of debate, I'll bite haha. I didn't hate Blue, but Gold was BAD... like worse than Chuck Austen. It is curious that you would prefer Guggenheim's characterization over Hickman's. It was just constantly embarrassing as a title and, as loke13 mentioned, constant embarrassment for Rachel in particular.

And then Blue... you think having the time-traveling O5 was like classic storytelling? (I know they weren't introduced in Blue, but that was their series.) I really didn't enjoy their presence, but I learned to accept it. Now that they're gone it really does seem like a million years ago... just curious, do you prefer to always return to the status quo? Honest question.

So now House of X/Krakoa: I don't like like all of titles and I don't like Marauders at all. It's not even the girl power aspect that seems to be turning people off... I just don't think it's good. I also don't enjoy drunk Kate and think it's cheap storytelling to portray her as more badass or something. IMO it would be more badass if she was laser focused and precise with her skill and wit.

I like X-Force but it's been waning recently. I thought only Hickman's issues of New Mutants were good (sorry, I know you hate the Roberto/Deathbird pairing lol). Excalibur is ****, I think X-Factor needs to be fine-tuned, don't read Cable or Wolverine, LOVE Hellions, liking S.W.O.R.D. so far. X of Swords was ass.

I myself do really enjoy Hickman's writing on the main X-Men title and the event issues. I mean yeah, I wish he would involve more characters in a consistent fashion, but I love the world he's creating. It's new and exciting. It would be a disservice to keep everything so static, especially with how much the world has changed in the last twenty years.

And then the fashion... why is it such a big deal? It's so much fun and I don't see why it's so stupid to you.
    Last edited by superjosh; 03-16-2021 at 07:44 PM.