Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Austen gets a lot of crap because he made Angel lay down pipe on Husk in front of her mum but he honestly tried new things instead of trying to rehash Morrison and Claremont. Northstar being a mainstay was his doing, Mystique screwing Satan was his doing. Juggernaut being an ally sometimes was his doing.

Guggs' run was just a disappointment after the first arc and Marvel set Bunn up to fail by giving him characters that shouldn't be around in the first place.
    "Cable was right!"

I liked Blue. Gold is one of the worst things I've ever read, I don't miss Guggenheim at all. So much wasted potential.

Incredible Member Agatha's Ghost's Avatar

Remind me of the name of that villainess from Gold? She was human bigot and in her bathrobe during half of her appearances.

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by superjosh View Post
    100%.

Fans that are critical of the Hickman era always seem to circle back to the idea that characters aren't "recognizable" anymore. And I can't help but think that it's STILL about the polyamory.

Firstly, I think it's only been hinted at because that's all Marvel will allow.

Second, I think it's totally and absolutely in character and of the times. You've been given paradise, you're defining a completely new society, you're a consenting adult, and you can't "die". EFF yeah you're gonna GET DOWN. It makes so much sense that I can't believe this is even up for debate.

There are really only fleeting moments of characters really acting strange (Jean in the House of X mini and Storm in X-Men 1 come to mind), but otherwise almost all characters have been represented in a way that's still essentially themselves. Xavier is obviously different, but that's the whole point.

But also, Sunspot and Deathbird is weird, but young Cyclops and Bloodstorm (the vampire) was organic?
    Exactly. Ultimately, the main issue is puritanism- "How DARE my favorite characters engaged in sex relationships that I wouldn't?".

Quote Originally Posted by nandes View Post
    When has Hickman written Northstar? And why would even say they are interchangeable taking in how Hickman has writen Kurt in this era? Would Northstar give a beautiful speech to Logan before their deaths? Would Northstar be in the same position that Kurt was in X-Men 7, trying to reconcile his faith with the new Krakoan culture? How are these characters even remotely similar?
    When I say some people like to complain for the sake of complain, that kind of non-sense is what I'm talking about.

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

I think Cullen Bunn is an excellent writer who was unfortunate enough to work on the X-books in a period where Marvel was de-emphasizing them and imposing idiotic storylines. I think he still turned it a lot of fine stories.

Mark Guggenheim's run was mostly boring but ultimately pretty inoffensive. I generally find him a pretty weak writer in both comics and television and wouldn't want to have him again on the X-Men books.

Astonishing Member Askani's Flame's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Agatha's Ghost View Post
    Remind me of the name of that villainess from Gold? She was human bigot and in her bathrobe during half of her appearances.
    Senator Palpatine.....wait that's not right...but she was a Senator.

Mighty Member

I think it was ultimately meaningless but also harmless.
    I wouldn't care for him to come back, there were better runs before and there's been better runs since.

Hickman's run is probably the best the X-Men have ever been, so I don't want this era to end just yet.

While it'll never happen, I'll like to see Morrison return for a 4 or 6 issue mini if anyone was going to return. But as I've said, I doubt they would come back to Marvel.

Quote Originally Posted by WildR View Post
    I don't think this is gonna happen, he throw shade on Marvel after leaving, so did Sina Grace.
    Wow. I didn't know that. Oh well.

I like Hickman's era so far. Its the most conceptually interesting era in a long time. Some aspects are odd like Krakoan society feels cultish but I'm assuming that's a part of the plan.

I find Kitty's knuckle tats ironically funny and I can't take her seriously because of it. I think it's my X-men evolution bias at work.

Sunspot falling for Deathbird was funny. I don't hate Kid Cable but I would've preffered Nate Grey came back as a teenager.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 03-17-2021 at 07:18 AM.

Bunn, Carey, and Gillen are the writers I want back in this era.

But Gold and Blue was extremely passable. And I don't understand the Gugs infatuation. He didn't have any good story arcs in his run. And if you think he wrote characters in character than thats a whole other story. Agree to disagree.

I liked Cullen Bunn.

He did some really good work on his Magneto and Uncanny X-Men monthly comics. I thought that he brought in some interesting ideas. Magneto leading the X-Men, even though that one had been done before. Monet becoming Emplate and a temporary villain. Monet and Sabretooth as a couple. Monet in the Hellfire Club. Xorn and then Archangel being put in charge of the army of Sleeper mutants. I enjoyed his handling of Betsy Bradokk, even though I gather that that one is a little more controversial with some Betsy fans. I found Elixer to be interesting for the first time, the way that he resurrected and tortured the Dark Riders for killing him.

I really think that it is to bad that Bunn's Uncanny X-Men run was gutted like a fish, and not been allowed to continue. I would have liked to have seen where his stories were going to lead to.

I believe that Bunn said that he wrote X-Men Blue only because he was left no choice by the editors. And even then, Bunn had his plans constantly interfered with by editorial. I believe that by the time Bunn was working on Blue, it had already been decided that Hickman was going to be in control of the X-Men, and Blue was really just filer.

I prefer the current status quo for the X-Men, but I would love to see Bunn get another chance to write an X-Comic during the Krakoan era.

I highly doubt that it will happen, though. I hadn't realized that Bunn had thrown shade at Marvel after he left Blue, and didn't part on good terms with Marvel.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny X-Man View Post
    I think Cullen Bunn is an excellent writer who was unfortunate enough to work on the X-books in a period where Marvel was de-emphasizing them and imposing idiotic storylines. I think he still turned it a lot of fine stories.

Mark Guggenheim's run was mostly boring but ultimately pretty inoffensive. I generally find him a pretty weak writer in both comics and television and wouldn't want to have him again on the X-Men books.
    This. But i also enjoyed the surrealism of Austen's run.

Quote Originally Posted by CGAR View Post
    Bunn, Carey, and Gillen are the writers I want back in this era.

But Gold and Blue was extremely passable. And I don't understand the Gugs infatuation. He didn't have any good story arcs in his run. And if you think he wrote characters in character than thats a whole other story. Agree to disagree.
    Rogue and Betsy need Carey
    Last edited by rhaenylis; 03-17-2021 at 08:43 AM.

I wonder what Kelly Thompson thinks about Excalibur. Because everything she did for Rogue and Gambit was just gutted.

"Comics journalism"? Filthy Mutie's Avatar

I like Si Spurrier and look forward to what he does.

Other than that: Nope. I like Bunn, but his run was bad - hampered by the editorial mandates of the time. Gold/Blue/Red era was trash; new era is awesome. The gala event is fresh. The characters are "IC." It makes sense that Sunspot thinks Deathbird is hot. Subtext is good; sex positivity is good; puritanism is bad.

Astonishing Member Askani's Flame's Avatar

I miss Cullen Bunn in general. His Uncanny X-Force was iconic and amazing. He had some good ideas and executions with Blue even though they weren't his ideal cast and some ridiculous editorial interference. But he made it work overall for me. And I'm sad we never got to see his take on X-Men in space with Rachel as the Captain.

Meanwhile I was really excited at first for Guggenheim based on his take with Rachel during Breakworld when she was leading the X-Men. Then within 3 issues of Gold I knew this was not going to be good for anyone other that Kitty. Huge disaster for Rachel and Storm. Slightly better for Kurt and Piotr. OML was virtually unscathed.