Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Guggenheim was 'inoffensive' or 'harmless' in the sense that nothing he did had any impact and you can basically ignore the entire thing without missing anything other than Rogue and Gambit tying the knot, but it was and remains a dumpster fire and a true pain to attempt to read.

Mighty Member

X-men Gold made me hate Kitty. Hate.
    She’s definitely more likable now then during that trash run.

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    So just out of curiosity what is the best Mark Guggenheim X-men story arc and what is the best Cullen Bunn arc?
    Bunn's entire Uncanny run was fantastic..even with the interruptions that were Apocalypse Wars and IvX...I think everyone conveniently forgets that the "All New All Different" era team book writers were forced to do an Apocalypse story line pretty much right after their opening arc...which in turn forced them to change all their plans..then they had to try to get back on track with their story just to be forced into the disaster that was IvX.

And Blue was forced on him. He was basically told write Blue or write nothing. And Blue is not all that bad, all things considered.

When it comes to Guggenheim...I got nothing...one of the all time worst X-men writers imo.

Bunn's Magneto was easily the best X-book out at the time. Credit where it is due. My problem wasn't his writing it that it became a culmination of only writing non diverse xmen which sucked because i wanted to read his stuff more. So i will say thinking about it further i prob wouldn't mind if Bunn came back but i would hope he is more diverse out the box because i feel i waited long enough with between all the work he did on the x-books.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

I guess I don’t understand the hatred for bold because status quo was unchanged mostly by the end of it. I hear you all complaining about things that happened but literally nothing outside of Rogue and Gambit stuck.

My problem with Hickman is he has done so many things that will be very hard to retcon away. He gutted Moira as a character. He’s cheapened her history. Oh this is a 10th life. She’s had 9 before. She was a human. Now she isn’t? The Moira during Excalibur? She was a golem. What kind of BS is that?

So yeah, I’m probably most anti Hickman in the fandom because of what he’s done to characters I love like Kitty, Moira, and etc. Kurt has been basically ignored so far but who knows what will happen now with him having a series. I guess the point is I don’t think Hickman is going anywhere soon and it’s bothersome to me this may be the norm for the foreseeable future.

There has not been an x men run I’ve ever despised like this one. I’ve been meh about some. Chuckles Austen for one. Anyway, I’m not trying to be a Debbie downer. It’s just once in a while I feel the need to point out not everybody has a love affair with this current run. But hey.. I keep buying so it’s my fault.

I'd have Bunn back writing the X Men in a hear beat. His short lived Uncanny run was amazing and I loved how he writes Magneto. He did the best he could with X Men Blue considering it wasn't a book/premise he wanted but he still produced some really good stuff. Guggenheim made me despise Kitty Pryde and if I'm honest, I still despise her now.

Quote Originally Posted by WildR View Post
    I don't think this is gonna happen, he throw shade on Marvel after leaving, so did Sina Grace.
    I liked Bunn at first. Then had huge problems with writing of Lorna on Blue. Got better in his writing of Lorna with Magneto later in the run, problems with her writing around Havok persisted. I was never entirely sure if the problems were from him or from others at Marvel, because back when I was looking more at his online activity, I never saw anything that could definitively tell me any which way. Repeated problems across multiple writers since then suggest problems caused by others at Marvel. Though I did notice when he seemed to be more excited about writing Havok and didn't seem to talk about Lorna at all leading up to X-Men Blue #8.

I think it's probably better for him if he's not dealing with Marvel. In fact, I think it's best for most writers not to. There are a lot of problems with the company, and those problems bleed all over the writers first and foremost. I've said before that I'd never want to write for Marvel, unless there were huge benefits negotiated into the contract that are very unlikely. It sounds glamorous and exciting at a glance, but then you have to deal with the realities of writing as work for your bosses whose views and agendas can go completely against your own values.
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

Mighty Member

I think it's telling that the only thing that came from X-Men Gold was anti-Semitism, and that wasn't even the fault of the writer.

I can't even hate that era. It was so mediocre and forgettable that I don't think about it. Bunn was better but he was limited.

Quote Originally Posted by Slicknickshady View Post
    I guess I don’t understand the hatred for bold because status quo was unchanged mostly by the end of it. I hear you all complaining about things that happened but literally nothing outside of Rogue and Gambit stuck.

So yeah, I’m probably most anti Hickman in the fandom because of what he’s done to characters I love like Kitty, Moira, and etc. Kurt has been basically ignored so far but who knows what will happen now with him having a series. I guess the point is I don’t think Hickman is going anywhere soon and it’s bothersome to me this may be the norm for the foreseeable future.

There has not been an x men run I’ve ever despised like this one. I’ve been meh about some. Chuckles Austen for one. Anyway, I’m not trying to be a Debbie downer. It’s just once in a while I feel the need to point out not everybody has a love affair with this current run. But hey.. I keep buying so it’s my fault.
    The status quo was unchanged, but reading it killed so many people’s excitement for the franchise. Powerhouses like Storm and Rachel were repeatedly written as incompetent. To me it’s a waste of money to buy a book where nothing of consequence happens.

I do sympathize with people who were huge fans of old Moira. At the same time how long had it been since she was alive? Everyone else will be fine. Kitty is being written as a young woman going through a rough time so the next writer can very easily return her to status quo by stating she’s no longer going through said rough time.

Lastly, this is the definition of being a Debbie Downer. People express negative opinions about this era all the time whether that be in appreciation threads or the controversial opinions thread.

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

Hack Guggenheim is missed? Yikes.

Bunn is meh. I got beef with this man and his DC work but his X-men work was eh.

Quote Originally Posted by FFJamie94 View Post
    I think it's telling that the only thing that came from X-Men Gold was anti-Semitism, and that wasn't even the fault of the writer.
    It's sad that the only thing I can remember from X-Men Gold is the first anti-Semitic issue and the wedding.

Everything else is like ... nothing. Like "Do you like Claremont? What if I repeat the same things he did but worse?"

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FFJamie94 View Post
    Lmao. That and Storm sleeping every issue. I swear Storm fans had me week every month.

I guess I donÂ’t understand the hatred for bold because status quo was unchanged mostly by the end of it. I hear you all complaining about things that happened but literally nothing outside of Rogue and Gambit stuck.

My problem with Hickman is he has done so many things that will be very hard to retcon away. He gutted Moira as a character. HeÂ’s cheapened her history. Oh this is a 10th life. SheÂ’s had 9 before. She was a human. Now she isnÂ’t? The Moira during Excalibur? She was a golem. What kind of BS is that?

So yeah, IÂ’m probably most anti Hickman in the fandom because of what heÂ’s done to characters I love like Kitty, Moira, and etc. Kurt has been basically ignored so far but who knows what will happen now with him having a series. I guess the point is I donÂ’t think Hickman is going anywhere soon and itÂ’s bothersome to me this may be the norm for the foreseeable future.

There has not been an x men run IÂ’ve ever despised like this one. IÂ’ve been meh about some. Chuckles Austen for one. Anyway, IÂ’m not trying to be a Debbie downer. ItÂ’s just once in a while I feel the need to point out not everybody has a love affair with this current run. But hey.. I keep buying so itÂ’s my fault.
    I'm anti Hickman era too..the core things that made the x-men the x-men are pretty much non-existent..this run is basically just an expanded upon Inhumans with X-men characters..but mostly X-men characters in look only..I can't wait until it's over.

My problem with Gold was that it was top to bottom, story to costumes, a complete and total nostalgia wank..I've always wanted the x-men to move forward.. modern looking x books..modern character designs, modern costumes, etc...but I want the characters to still be the characters..I want the core of the characters, the core of what the x-men are to stay intact..I want them to actually be X-men books..not Hickman's completely alien, Inhumans rip off featuring X-men looking characters.

Astonishing Member Askani's Flame's Avatar

Really? Like Rachel wasn't primed to be every villain's pet hero (literally and figuratively) because of Guggenheim? Because that carried through his entire run, and then extended for the next year. So that's not true. And her awful codename.

That might be strongest example of things that happened and stuck post Guggenheim.