Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Guggenheim is the worst writer to ever write a flagship X-men book

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Guggenheim is the worst writer to ever write a flagship X-men book
    IDK, Rosenberg deserves to be in the conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by Slicknickshady View Post
    I guess I don’t understand the hatred for bold because status quo was unchanged mostly by the end of it. I hear you all complaining about things that happened but literally nothing outside of Rogue and Gambit stuck.

My problem with Hickman is he has done so many things that will be very hard to retcon away. He gutted Moira as a character. He’s cheapened her history. Oh this is a 10th life. She’s had 9 before. She was a human. Now she isn’t? The Moira during Excalibur? She was a golem. What kind of BS is that?

So yeah, I’m probably most anti Hickman in the fandom because of what he’s done to characters I love like Kitty, Moira, and etc. Kurt has been basically ignored so far but who knows what will happen now with him having a series. I guess the point is I don’t think Hickman is going anywhere soon and it’s bothersome to me this may be the norm for the foreseeable future.

There has not been an x men run I’ve ever despised like this one. I’ve been meh about some. Chuckles Austen for one. Anyway, I’m not trying to be a Debbie downer. It’s just once in a while I feel the need to point out not everybody has a love affair with this current run. But hey.. I keep buying so it’s my fault.
    I do feel for you since you are such a devoted fan! I really think you are getting in the way of your own enjoyment though. If you could enjoy Gold, then you can enjoy at least some of this era.

You worrying that it'll be too hard to retcon this era means you're in denial of what's happening... which is a stage of grief. You can't enjoy something if you haven't processed it. (Sorry, I'll quit with the psychoanalysis!)

You really just have to accept that Moira has been changed. As a big Moira fan, were you happier when she was dead? I really think there is a lot to enjoy as a longtime fan. Like I said, I don't love what all the writers are doing, but that's how it's always been with the X-titles.

Quote Originally Posted by davetvs View Post
    IDK, Rosenberg deserves to be in the conversation.
    He doesnt. His Uncanny served its purpose and wasnt nearly as bad as Gold. It reads better in retrospect knowing the context of the Krakoa era that followed and why certain decisions were mad. Gold was just bad and boring and really served no purpose in the grand scheme of things. It was a weak anchor for the line and unnecessarily ruined many characters

Mighty Member

Rosenberg was BAD. He was beyond incapable of writing characters that weren't stereotypical straight white males (and Magik the fantasy of stereotypical straight white males). When he tried, he was offensive like the Wolfsbane storyline. And his "suicide is fun" storylines sucked too.

Guggenheim was BORING though.

Personally, I think boring is worse than bad overall.

Bunn and Blue did not match. Bunn is good at dealing with dark, edgy adult characters, so they put him on a book with none of that. He should've gotten Weapon X or GOLD at least. His situation reminds of Ayala being forced on Children of the Atom. Great writer but I see that book barely being passable just like BLUE was.

GOLD was boring for the most part. That's because there was an obsession with Kitty. The book came off as if it was written by an Incel obsessed with Kitty since the 80's. She was perfect and nothing she did was wrong. This was not only bad writing but it turned the fanbase against Kitty. She was hated during GOLD. Every other female character was written as useless and pathetic. Colossus was written as a stalker, which again seemed so incel like. "Hey guys! If you creepily obsess over a woman and refuse to let her go she'll eventually realize what a good guy you are you'll get her!" is not a good look. If he can't even write a straight white guy, then there sure was no hope for other minority mutants. The only memorable thing was Gambit and Rogue getting married and that was a mandated storyline!

Still not as bad as Austen though.

Astonishing Member Celestialbodies's Avatar

Bunn was a godsend during an era of nostalgia and sheer boredom, his Magneto, UXF, and Blue were all varying degrees of good. Especially considering the many internal handicaps he suffered from Marvel. However he had a better grasp on the characters he used and pushed them forward regardless if those plotpoints were always followed up upon.

Gold was disappointing sure many have made valid points concerning its overall theme, a return to the status quo but what I hated so much reading Gold. I might have preferred an unbashful return to the X-men roots just instead it was a demonstration of how to misuse an A-list cast with complete freedom and range. Nothing had any meaningful payoff things just happened to characters we know but in the most superficial and blase way possible.

I remember someone once saying Guggs wrote Gold like he did his television shows and then it clicked for me why I didn't like how he laid it out Gold.

Quote Originally Posted by Slicknickshady View Post
    I guess I don’t understand the hatred for bold because status quo was unchanged mostly by the end of it. I hear you all complaining about things that happened but literally nothing outside of Rogue and Gambit stuck.

My problem with Hickman is he has done so many things that will be very hard to retcon away. He gutted Moira as a character. He’s cheapened her history. Oh this is a 10th life. She’s had 9 before. She was a human. Now she isn’t? The Moira during Excalibur? She was a golem. What kind of BS is that?

So yeah, I’m probably most anti Hickman in the fandom because of what he’s done to characters I love like Kitty, Moira, and etc. Kurt has been basically ignored so far but who knows what will happen now with him having a series. I guess the point is I don’t think Hickman is going anywhere soon and it’s bothersome to me this may be the norm for the foreseeable future.

There has not been an x men run I’ve ever despised like this one. I’ve been meh about some. Chuckles Austen for one. Anyway, I’m not trying to be a Debbie downer. It’s just once in a while I feel the need to point out not everybody has a love affair with this current run. But hey.. I keep buying so it’s my fault.
    What exactly did you like about his run? What shined for you? What was your favorite arc? What character moments did you like best?

Seems like you like it because nostalgia and thats what you view your X-Men as.

Fantastic Member

Guggs is not good. Pretty forgettable but really not good. He's mostly going to be known for how shitty he made the Arrowverse. Not sure how that got him the X-Men gig.

I'd still put Bendis and Morrison at the top of the worst list. Austen not far behind.

Guggs is definitely near there and as said it was mostly boring. Other then the fact he had to stick that final nail on Kitty/Colossus. I'd have Rosenberg too but it's still hard to blame him when editorial pretty much had him do all that. I mean it was pretty bad but it wasn't really a winnable situation.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

The OP misses Guggs and Bunn because Kitty is a drunk now like her idol and Eye Boy is OoC. Which is weird because Eye Boy feeling he's inferior to the senior X-Men has been constant although they should've expanded on his Age of X-Man power up.

Honestly I feel Marauders would've been better written under Guggs since he at least tries to give all his characters screen time. Just rename the book Emma x Kitty Adeventures while Duggan's on it.
    "Cable was right!"

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    The OP misses Guggs and Bunn because Kitty is a drunk now like her idol and Eye Boy is OoC. Which is weird because Eye Boy feeling he's inferior to the senior X-Men has been constant although they should've expanded on his Age of X-Man power up.

Honestly I feel Marauders would've been better written under Guggs since he at least tries to give all his characters screen time. Just rename the book Emma x Kitty Adeventures while Duggan's on it.
    Maraurders is better than Gold. Duggan focuses on Kitty and Emma but at least he isnt actively humilating and ruining the rest of the team to prop them up, which is what Guggs did constantly

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Maraurders is better than Gold. Duggan focuses on Kitty and Emma but at least he isnt actively humilating and ruining the rest of the team to prop them up, which is what Guggs did constantly
    Can't disagree with that. Rogue probably got off OK but she was there for a short while.
    "Cable was right!"

He isnt humiliating Bishop?

Both books are bad, equally

Quote Originally Posted by Rang10 View Post
    He isnt humiliating Bishop?

Both books are bad, equally
    No he's not. Bishop is just there, rarely being used. He isnt writing him fainting every issue (Storm), getting a powerup while being weak (Rachel), obssessive (Colossus), taken out by common thugs (Magik). Bishop does great in the small doses he gets. His problem is that none of it is significant enough to matter

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    Bunn's Magneto was easily the best X-book out at the time. Credit where it is due. My problem wasn't his writing it that it became a culmination of only writing non diverse xmen which sucked because i wanted to read his stuff more. So i will say thinking about it further i prob wouldn't mind if Bunn came back but i would hope he is more diverse out the box because i feel i waited long enough with between all the work he did on the x-books.
    Bunn killed it on the Magneto title. Also I would say Blue was the best of the color coded books at the time.
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine12 View Post
    Bunn killed it on the Magneto title. Also I would say Blue was the best of the color coded books at the time.
    I would also agree with this. I honestly try to be fair and i never had a problem with his writing but as a consumer it's weird to want to support a writer but feel like, but um, in all the x-books so far the characters looked the same. Even the x-men from the future seriously lacked diversity. And i would have rather a new mutant or some other young character of color rather tham blood storm on the team. I feel if he had had the hidden years team he would have faired better but i get what he was going for in hindsight, time displaced origins and all.

And as many have said his hands may have been tied with the x-books much like the x-books were with Storm because of mandates so in hindsight some of my criticism may have been unfair but honest to me at the time, So i would definitely welcome him on the books again, as you said he has good concepts.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/