Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Incredible Member Lady Midnight's Avatar

It would also be interesting to see Prodigy go up against Taskmaster.
    My flag is bacon.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by ericng View Post
    In Claremont original series
    1. He can speak alien language
    2. He can speak any language on earth
    3. He can crack computer codes and understand all computer languages

In other series
    1. He can communicate with animals i.e. Birdbrain and understand dolphin sounds

Did you not read Zeb Wells New Mutant series? This isn't 'potential' but already established back then but most writers didn't bother to read that series.

In that series:
    1. He can read body language
    2. He can learn magical spells to seal his enemy's mouth
    3. He can read architectural weakness
    4. He can speak robotic language to control machines
    Why doesn't he do more magic. Isn't that just another type of language. Young Beast was learning it. And Sapna the young mutant from extraordinary x-men had the same power set as cypher but was loads more powerful.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by LilRuRu View Post
    Why doesn't he do more magic. Isn't that just another type of language. Young Beast was learning it. And Sapna the young mutant from extraordinary x-men had the same power set as cypher but was loads more powerful.
    Yes, magical spells is just a language. I mean if Dr Strange who isn't a mutant can do it, Cypher should be able to do it as well with his mastery of all languages.

It really depends on the writer as most subsequent writers just read Chris Claremont's version of teenage Cypher.

Zeb Wells gave his powers more potential but not many writers read that series.

Cypher is still stuck as teenage Cypher by mediocre writers.

If the right writer comes along, we can see Cypher using his full potential.
    Last edited by ericng; 03-19-2021 at 09:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ericng View Post
    Yes, magical spells is just a language. I mean if Dr Strange who isn't a mutant can do it, Cypher should be able to do it as well with his mastery of all languages.

It really depends on the writer as most subsequent writers just read Chris Claremont's version of teenage Cypher.

Zeb Wells gave his powers more potential but not many writers read that series.

Cypher is still stuck as teenage Cypher by mediocre writers.

If the right writer comes along, we can see Cypher using his full potential.
    When you think about it, writing is a kind of language, so Cypher would also be the greatest person who could ever write Cypher stories.

Quote Originally Posted by Bozack View Post
    Just because he can read body language doesn't mean he's physically capable of executing martial arts. I think his physical limitations are dope.
    I mean he's an X-Man. All of them have hand to hand combat training.

Spectacular Member

Zeb Wells use of him was absolutely brilliant.

I love The New Mutants.

They seem to have managed to keep the family vibe in their different runs that the X-Men have only seen the odd spell since Claremont was sacked.

Astonishing Member OopsIdiditagain's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BESTXMAN View Post
    Cypher should be a great hand to hand combat expert just from reading body language. He would be a champion judo and aikido fighter alone.
    There's a difference between being able to read body language and being skilled enough to react to it properly.
    december 21st has passed where are my superpowers?

Quote Originally Posted by OopsIdiditagain View Post
    There's a difference between being able to read body language and being skilled enough to react to it properly.
    Agreed. I would really Cypher not become some uber powerful character; he is useful in his own unique way without having to be a powerhouse.

BANNED

Put Cypher in front of an angry Sabertooth and let him read that...

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by BESTXMAN View Post
    Cypher should be a great hand to hand combat expert just from reading body language. He would be a champion judo and aikido fighter alone.
    Cypher's skills are more mental than physical. I have already listed all his abilities.

His body language reading isn't new, in New Mutants 53 under Chris Claremont's run, he played the poker game by reading body language but that is more mental.

put him in a spy book. that's what I would want to see. also working with an NGO with developing countries on global aid.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    put him in a spy book. that's what I would want to see. also working with an NGO with developing countries on global aid.
    A spy with Cypher and Madrox sounds like it could be a fun book.