Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Yeah, this is kind of why I’d want to see a story where we see her make the decision to become Cheetah from her POV.
    If they every do tell her story from her POV, I always thought it would be fun if she was an unreliable narrator (although I know that would piss people off).

Quote Originally Posted by I'm a Fish View Post
    Yes, New 52 Cheetah was raised by a cult of misandry's who followed "amazon culture" and worshiped the goddess of the hunt, Artemis. She didn't become Cheetah of her own accord either, she was forced to become Cheetah by her aunt who made her stab herself in the heart with the godkiller knife.

I don't know if that was Johns idea for Cheetah, since he didn't write her origin story, but that origin certainly retconned now much of her fault becoming Cheetah actually was.
    "[Geoff] Johns had Cheetah come by the curse, having scratched her hand on an Urzkartarga idol, in JLA. Its later revealed, in the same story, that Barbara Minerva was a grifter and a murderess...had been her whole life, and that her inherent evil corrupted the Cheetah power, turning her into a monster." Mel Dyer (April, 2021)
    https://dc.fandom.com/wiki/Justice_L...h:_Part_One.22

Here is a link to the JL origin, by Johns. It's certainly easier to recount and share, than the one, by John Ostrander, from WW #23.1.

Wasn't that weird cult origin practically ignored, after the Chiang/Azzarello run? I think it was, up until Greg Rucka rebirthed a new one for Cheets, in WW #8...might be wrong about that, though.
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 04-03-2021 at 11:46 PM. Reason: credits
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Dyer View Post
    https://dc.fandom.com/wiki/Justice_L...h:_Part_One.22

Here is a link to the JL origin, by Johns. It's certainly easier to recount and share, than the one, by John Ostrander, from WW #23.1.

Wasn't that weird cult origin practically ignored, after the Chiang/Azzarello run? I think it was, up until Greg Rucka rebirthed a new one for Cheets, in WW #8...might be wrong about that, though.
    I guess Ostrander wanted to make that Barbara more of a "dark Wonder Woman origin" with the cult angle.

Yeah, Cheetah was completely redone for Rebirth, the only thing Rucka kept was that Barbara was Diana's first friend in man's world (since Barbara was the only one who could understand Diana) which was a line Johns had written.

Basically everything about Chiang/Azzarello run was ignored, honestly not just Cheetah's origin.

I really disliked the cult origin. It was so on the nose.

The Rucka origin is good, but I also like the Perez origin as Barbara had been doing her thing for a while and only became interested in the Amazons once Diana debuted. Barbara’s origin was separate from Wonder Woman and I was okay with that.

I’m going with Barbara being to blame for her transformation. Her choice, her consequences to deal with.

Quote Originally Posted by WonderScott View Post
    I really disliked the cult origin. It was so on the nose.

The Rucka origin is good, but I also like the Perez origin as Barbara had been doing her thing for a while and only became interested in the Amazons once Diana debuted. Barbara’s origin was separate from Wonder Woman and I was okay with that.

I’m going with Barbara being to blame for her transformation. Her choice, her consequences to deal with.
    That's what I think it means to portray Barbara Minerva, as the monster, ..Cheetah or no Cheetah.
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 04-06-2021 at 10:05 PM.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

I like the concept of Barbara being friends with Diana upon her first encounter but slowing showing her true colors over time. i.e. Barbara not being the best of friends.... using Diana's popularity to boost her own (getting book deals and interviews), mostly ignoring Diana except when she needs something, having resentment towards Diana because her appearance turns Barbara into "just someone that knows Wonder Woman" so ultimately people are interested not in Barbara's own work but her connection to Diana, etc.

This would lead into Barbara excepting Cale's funding to search for the Urzkartaga cult (the whole convo between Diana and Barbara about "wanting to find a real god" with Barbara blind to the amazon goddess right in front of her) and becoming Cheetah, of her own choice. Trying to find a sweet spot between the Perez Barbara and Rucka Barbara.
    Zaldrīzes Buzdari Iksos Daor

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Dyer View Post
    That's what I think it means to portray Barbara Minerva, as the monster, ..Cheetah or no Cheetah.
    Agreed. Barbara is powerful, ruthless, cunning, and Machiavellian, with hubris being one of her tragic flaws.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by masterwitcher88 View Post
    I like the concept of Barbara being friends with Diana upon her first encounter but slowing showing her true colors over time. i.e. Barbara not being the best of friends.... using Diana's popularity to boost her own (getting book deals and interviews), mostly ignoring Diana except when she needs something, having resentment towards Diana because her appearance turns Barbara into "just someone that knows Wonder Woman" so ultimately people are interested not in Barbara's own work but her connection to Diana, etc.

This would lead into Barbara excepting Cale's funding to search for the Urzkartaga cult (the whole convo between Diana and Barbara about "wanting to find a real god" with Barbara blind to the amazon goddess right in front of her) and becoming Cheetah, of her own choice. Trying to find a sweet spot between the Perez Barbara and Rucka Barbara.
    Rucka's second run did show her and Diana going on talk show interviews. I like the fact that Barbara is genuinely her friend and cares about her, but has some selfish motivations that even she may not be consciously of. Wonder Woman overshadowing her own accomplishments would also be a natural way to touch upon envy being the Cheetah's main motivation

Quote Originally Posted by WonderScott View Post
    Agreed. Barbara is powerful, ruthless, cunning, and Machiavellian, with hubris being one of her tragic flaws.
    Since hubris is such a big concept in Greek culture/mythology, I think it makes a lot of sense for it to be Barbara's fatal flaw.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Rucka's second run did show her and Diana going on talk show interviews. I like the fact that Barbara is genuinely her friend and cares about her, but has some selfish motivations that even she may not be consciously of. Wonder Woman overshadowing her own accomplishments would also be a natural way to touch upon envy being the Cheetah's main motivation
    Yeah, I like them being actual friends in the beginning. I like Diana's quote about Barbara, "You war with your better angels, and always have."
    Barbara always struck me as a glory seaker, she got her knee crushed because she bursted into an old chamber without looking after all. That struck me as the outline of her character, someone who has to be #1, and it bites her in the ass every time. (Honestly if they brought that "Apex Predator" line into the comics it would make sense).

I could definitely see her getting jealous of Diana if it drew people away from her work (like her '77 origin). I think her jealous in Rebirth more so came from Diana being an Amazon Demi-goddess, but I could see them working that other motive in.

I feel like if we want Barbara to change back and forth. Her personality should also match. Like she needs blood. Like if it's human blood it won't do anything. It needs to be the blood of mythical beings. Even then it's a limited on how long she can change back and forth