Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default SWORD issue 4 review

portrait-medium.jpg

Issue 4 starts out with Frenzy describing what a possesion by a symbiote feels like. A Knull-infested Kid Cable explains what happened to Krakoa while taunting Manifold. The segment ends with Knull Kid Cable killing Cortez and Sunfire while Manifold looks on in horror.

We cut to Wiz Kid talking to Brand on SWORD Space Station. He clarifies the communication issue, saying the Krakoan gates works as another means of communication. Brand checks in with Mentallo who is having problems convincing the Five to leave with him. Hope and Brand start arguing over the backup plan. Hope calls out Brand as being callous, high and mighty and stuck in old human patterns. Brand says she has her reasons and they are on a need to know basis.

Wiz Kid appears to break up the tension. He transforms Mentallo's tank into a mech and blows up the symbiote blockade.

We cut back to Manifold who starts fighting Knull Kid Cable. More accurately it becomes a game of keep away. Knull uses Kid Cable's transportation tech to chase after Manifold. Knull Kid Cable corners Manifold but Frenzy breaks out of her symbiote cocoon to save him. She rips out Kid Cable's robot arm, hindering Knull's ability to move around. Manifold finishes off Knull Kid Cable by talking the universe into giving him a piece of the sun. He goes all G Gundam on Knull, burning the symbiote and freeing Kid Cable.

The Five see the sun and rejoice. Wiz Kid plays some music and Mentallo pouts. Wiz Kid stole his thunder LOL.

Magneto gives a despondent Kid Cable a pep talk while everyone regroups. Magneto orders the Five to push Sunfire up the ressurection queque and mutants who are symbiote deterrents (ie. those who control fire, electricity, light,) to step forward. Manifold guards the gate.

The issue ends with Magneto saying he and Cortez have matters to discuss while Magneto holds up Cortez's skull Hamlet style. The data pages are tucked away here hinting at what the next arc is gonna be.

Did anyone else pick it up today? What are your thoughts?

Great Issue! This was a very very fun read. The art and colors were absolutely stunning and it had like everything in it. Rasengans, Mechas, Tsuandere females but competent. This was like a fanboy dream come true issue and given that the subject matter was King in Black that did nothing but add to this issue and make it amazing in of itself.

To have Manifold literally take a piece of the sun that the universe gave him and ram it into Knull possessed body was both a very hype moment for me and a serene moment as well. I love that Frenzy powers were explained a little in that nothing hurts her so while she was "lost" in the darkness she was still protected and so it made sense when she heard Manifold she could use him as a grounding point.

I also really enjoyed the five for the first time. Like i don't mind them but i really enjoyed reading them in this issue and i love the added freckles to hope and the whole continuing to dance.

Wiz kid is a pimp, in the best way. lol.

My fave scenes.
    favepans1.jpgfavepans2.jpgfavepans3.jpg

One negative but not marvel fault comixology kept giving me an error message throughtout this issue and it was driving me crazy. Like every few pages error message.

And i also have to say i worried about getting this issue because i thought "oh boy more knull" But it was so good as a story into itself i forgot about the overall event and this just felt and read like a s.w.o.r.d. book with then fighting an enemy. For it to be only issue 4 and the book to feel like itself to me says a lot. If that makes sense. Kudos to the whole team on this book.

And as i'm typing more thoughts, also felt it when Frenzy said she only loved one man and if he felt the same she would be his step mom when she hit cable. Nice nod to Carey alternate universe there as Frenzy was one of the ones who chose to keep her memories.

Even beyond all the other awesome stuff i want to thank ewing for having two black people actually standing tall and saving the day it is so so rare in all mediums. I can't lie and say it didn't feel good to see.

Thanks for this Thread. 11/10/
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Pretty cool action issue. Kid Cable still sucks, and everything with Brand and the 5 was awful. They were trying to out-awful each other

Quote Originally Posted by pkingdom View Post
    Pretty cool action issue. Kid Cable still sucks, and everything with Brand and the 5 was awful. They were trying to out-awful each other
    How was Hope being awful about not wanting to abandon her people?

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    How was Hope being awful about not wanting to abandon her people?
    because she is a chance to ressurrection and if she dies can be impossible to bring people back together

Astonishing Member Dante Milton's Avatar

Great issue. Loved Frenzy's moment to shine. Cortez at the bottom of the resurrection queue, as he should be.

Spectacular Member

A great read. I was a little worried as I don't bother to read the larger king in Black storyline that this episode was going to feel disjointed but I found myself really enjoying it. The book still managed to tell its own unique story about the X-men and in the end it was the X-men who defeated the possed Cable. As it should be.

Actually missed the first page on my initial read and so was surprised when Frenzy dropped from above. Thought it was Manifold's thoughts during the chase and that he was trying to lure Cable into a trap. After the second read and knowing it was Frenzy that was speaking that whole scene made more sense. Favorite part was her "disarming" Cable by taking both the gun and his bionic arm.

After watching what Manifold was able to do I think he should be raised to Omega level. To think there might be someone with that power set that is even stronger is to me a scary thought.

I thought that at the end of Age of X that reality was forgotten. Was Frenzy the only one that opted to retain those memories?

Wiz Kid turning the Think tank into a giant robot with a sonic scrambler was a nice touch. Loved at the end the whole group had just turned the invasion into a techno dance.

One des have to wonder just what amendments will come after Fabian and Magneto have their little talk.

Astonishing Member Dante Milton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Basilisk View Post
    I thought that at the end of Age of X that reality was forgotten. Was Frenzy the only one that opted to retain those memories?
    Rogue and Husk also kept their memories.

Incredible Member

I guess Tempo should have kept her memories to.

Astonishing Member Celestialbodies's Avatar

Alongside Hellions, X-men, New Mutants, and X-force this series continue to be a joy, I thought today's issue did a great job creating stakes without the direct world ending back drop. It was a lot more intimate despite the high stakes, I loved how Manifold is used here such a rich character. Shoutout to giving us insight into the symbiote process through Frenzy, the mention of her relationship with Scott was a nice touch and adds to her development.

I really enjoyed everything here.

Manifold might be one of my favorite characters during the Hickman era. His powerset is ridiculous. And unique.

Anyone get any type of clue from that last data page? Thought this worked great as a team book. This is one of my favorite X-titles of the current run.

Spectacular Member

Voght possibly links to Amelia Voght
    Snarkwar we learned from last episode means Joy
    Sol I would think implies Earth

Unfortunately those three words don't give a lot to go on. Need a few more words to be able to guess what the communique means

It seems that Ewing had certain ideas and Knull has been a bad fit for them.

Like, why the hell an alien invasion makes Magneto reconsider "Kill no human".

Even though I'm growing tired of all the deaths, I have to admit that no one is doing it like Ewing. He is showing how its done, proving every character has the potential to shine. In this one, Manifold, Wiz-kid and Frenzy were the stars. The use of their powers and personalities were stellar.
    My only grip (which is very minor) is that the Five could have done more. I can see why they would and should stay out of the fray, but a literal reality warper is a member.

As for Brand and Hope's debate, both had their points. I think an extra-dimensional teleporter should be added, preferably Gateway, just so they could be extracted (to another realm if need be) so that the resurrection process can be protected. But like always, Hope was giving spoiled brat energy and Brand is keeping too much intel close to the vest for my liking. I now can see what she saw in Hank.

Story:9
    Pencils:10
    Colors: 10