All-New Member

Default Spider-Man 121/122. Deal or no deal?

I’ve been shopping around for my collection. And I have found a seller selling a spiderman 121 (Gwen Stacy death)
    And spiderman 122 (green goblin death).

121 = 6.0 cgc
    122 = 5.0 cgc

The seller is asking 500$.

What are your guys opinions of this offer?

12E4D1A7-BD9A-4577-8BC5-DC4BDE575A9C.jpg

31A2D55C-B01A-43E5-9D09-AF1446BC8D7C.jpg

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Garra671 View Post
    I’ve been shopping around for my collection. And I have found a seller selling a spiderman 121 (Gwen Stacy death)
    And spiderman 122 (green goblin death).

121 = 6.0 cgc
    122 = 5.0 cgc

The seller is asking 500$.

What are your guys opinions of this offer?

12E4D1A7-BD9A-4577-8BC5-DC4BDE575A9C.jpg

31A2D55C-B01A-43E5-9D09-AF1446BC8D7C.jpg
    If you are asking me as a regular Joe consumer, I'd say save the money, we are still in Pandemic life, and if you have that much disposable income, I suggest investing in a PS5.

If you are asking me as a comics collector, and someone who has sunk cash in buying original comics, and if $500 is not the most you have sunk in buying original comics, I'd say it's a very good deal.

All-New Member

I have a Ps5.

But thank you for the opinion.

I’m looking at the collecting as a possible investment. Not too make a fortune. But do you see these 2 comics going down in value at all?

BANNED

I have a Ps5.

I’m looking at the collecting as a possible investment. Not too make a fortune. But do you see these 2 comics going down in value at all?
    I am not a professional collector (I have bought old polybagged issues, including special favorites and rarities, but I bought them cheaply). I can give you directions on where to find one though. I sent you a PM.

But let me answer your question, I do not think ASM#121-122, aka "The Night Gwen Stacy Died" will go down in value in the future. Rather the contrary. Will it be valued as high as an original AF#15, unlikely, but it's never going down.

One day there will be a proper adaptation of this story, either in the MCU, or in animation or some other medium. When that happens, the value of these comics will go up and you can expect to cash out then.

All-New Member

I can’t seem to find my pm’s lol

I have a Ps5.

My personal opinion. I don't see it going down, but I also don't see it going up. Not leaps and bounds anyway.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

All-New Member

I’m not terribly concerned about future value. More so if the deal is good or not?

Incredible Member

An item is only worth what someone else is willing to pay for it. You have to determine for yourself if its a "good deal". You can buy those same 2 comics at varying price points and conditions from various sources. Since you are not concerned with future value, then what is your basis for what a good deal is?

I wouldn't buy it because I don't value a comic book purchase that highly.

All-New Member

I like villains. And I like spiderman. I came across these 2 comics. And liked them because it was a big victory for the villain. And as well a follow up too a big final battle with the villain.

My basis for a good deal, is that I’m getting the same thing. Others have gotten. But for cheaper.

So my biggest concern/question. Is if the price. Is good for the rated condition.

It's a good deal, I'd buy it.

Its funny. Stuff from the 1970s is generally so low value now. As the population that collected during that era are aging, and younger collectors aren't as interested in the older stuff, seeing it more as a novelty. Everything from that era has gone down in value over the years - issues of the Byrne/Claremont X-Men, for instance. As a run, its not as valued as it once was valued. But the seminal issues like Giant X-Men #1 (Cockrum, but still) seem to hold their value.

ASM 121/122 is one of those issues, very iconic, controversial, good art. Its still a matter of finding the right buyer - comics are always worth what people will pay for them, not a set amount.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.