Mighty Member

Default movie sequels sophomore slump

Why do sequels have such a hard time sticking the landing after the initial movie is a hit? Even more annoying, first movie comes out is great, then sequel sophomore slump then sticks the landing with movie three. Why couldn't you stick the landing with both movies? The only trilogy that I think avoids this problem is Back to the Future. Even with the absence of Crispin Glover, they're still really fun movies that you can always come back to.

I thought this was a good-ish take on the subject.

Only BTTF? Star Wars, Terminator, The Godfather, Aliens, From Russia with Love, Winter Soldier...
    Making great movies is hard, so following a great movie with another is harder. But it is done.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

Most good movies get made because someone had a great idea for a good 2-hour story and put everything they had into it. Though some sequels are planned right from the beginning, most are a result of financial considerations... the first one made money, so let's have another one. Then the storytellers often have to come up with another idea on demand and in a much shorter period of time, and it's often different people doing the storytelling. Plus there's the comparison factor... a good movie that follows a great movie usually gets called a disappointment.

It doesn’t get much more slumpy than Highlander 2.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Only BTTF? Star Wars, Terminator, The Godfather, Aliens, From Russia with Love, Winter Soldier...
    Making great movies is hard, so following a great movie with another is harder. But it is done.
    Great list. I would also add Star Trek II: Wrath of Khan and X2: X-Men United.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    Yeah I agree with the list too. I was trying to think of other movies while making my initial post but was drawing a blank and BTTF was the only one that came to mind

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    The Dark Knight, Before Sunset, Spider-Man 2, Dawn of the Planet of the Apes

BANNED

I have always assumed sequels stuck to better landing than threequels (third film)

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    It doesn’t get much more slumpy than Highlander 2.
    The first movie had a definitive ending (I love the tv show though).

So they had to pull stuff out of their asses for a sequel. And for some reason they wanted Sean Connery back even though Ramirez died already.

In his screenwriting book "Story", Robert McKee mentioned the law of diminishing returns. That can be used to explain why sequels often don't work.

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    Would add Deadpool 2. Not better than 1 but Ryan Reynolds is a national treasure (in Canada but we love him too) Also, DP2 out grossed DP1 +3 million.

GODZILLA: King Of Monsters was better than 1 with more fighting, screen time for the kaiju's. Looking forward to GZ vs KONG thing month!
    Last edited by GOLGO 13; 03-19-2021 at 07:52 AM.

I remember BTTF 2 received a bit more criticism back in the day, it's sort of the odd one out in that it doesn't really have a love story, crosses between a lot of different settings, the humor's a bit more goofy (especially the 2015 part) and less based on Marty's anachronisms, and there's not a major dilemma in getting back to the future (at least not until the last few scenes of the movie), just on fixing the altered timeline again.

Now it's generally more accepted and I think the third one gets more criticism.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth