Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Askani's Flame View Post
    Fair points! I think what I see is that this was what she wore during her ascension. She used the grief and guilt she felt from her past in this red Mojo-hound costume as Phoenix to fuel her process to reclaim both her name and the name of the Phoenix. And she did. She sacrificed EVERYTHING to save the multiverse (to which most people don't give her creds for) and emerged more powerful. I think it if we had seen a visceral negative reaction from Rachel when she was most recently in the Mojoverse to the fake dancing Rachel's prominently parading around in this look, this would be in poor taste. But she was annoyed and slightly amused. And now that she has a warwolf as her beloved pet, it brings back good memories and feelings as her time as Phoenix and as a member of Excalibur.

We all see different things in this look and that is what we are allowed to do. I just don't think we should be asserting language on sanity or mental illness when it comes to these discussions as it just isn't helpful.
    To be honest my feelings about anything hound soured mostly in recent times especially in the aftermaths of Extermination.
    Ommadon: “By summoning all the dark powers I will infest the spirit of man So that he uses his science and logic to destroy himself. Greed and avarice shall prevail, and those who do not hear my words shall pay the price. I'll teach man to use his machines, I'll show him what distorted science can give birth to. I'll teach him to fly like a fairy, and I'll give him the ultimate answer to all his science can ask. And the world will be free for my magic again.”

Astonishing Member Askani's Flame's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Daedra View Post
    To be honest my feelings about anything hound soured mostly in recent times especially in the aftermaths of Extermination.
    Oh I feel you. Everything about Gold, Extermination, and X-Force left me rethinking my choice to spend money on comics where the writers and editors were so completely tone deaf to the problems of her being a hound, nevermind the aspect of forced slavery, human trafficking, and other awful issues that were pushed on her to sell a comic. I think I am less colored by this costume because it's when I was reading Rachel and fell in love with her. To me, I don't see this as a hound costume but her Phoenix and Excalibur one. So maybe I have the rose-colored glasses right now. Hugs.

Incredible Member

Oh I feel you. Everything about Gold, Extermination, and X-Force left me rethinking my choice to spend money on comics where the writers and editors were so completely tone deaf to the problems of her being a hound, nevermind the aspect of forced slavery, human trafficking, and other awful issues that were pushed on her to sell a comic. I think I am less colored by this costume because it's when I was reading Rachel and fell in love with her. To me, I don't see this as a hound costume but her Phoenix and Excalibur one. So maybe I have the rose-colored glasses right now. Hugs.
    Agree. I think some writers will use a character they heard has a good following to get readers and just re-imagine him/her or won't even do research on the character's history. In Rachel's case, she gets regressed to either a hound or untrained (or even weak) psychic. Rachel had remarkable growth when she claimed the code name "Marvel Girl" but that seems to have been forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by raidensix View Post
    Agree. I think some writers will use a character they heard has a good following to get readers and just re-imagine him/her or won't even do research on the character's history. In Rachel's case, she gets regressed to either a hound or untrained (or even weak) psychic. Rachel had remarkable growth when she claimed the code name "Marvel Girl" but that seems to have been forgotten.
    Eh, I'm kinda iffy on that. She got nerfed by Claremont in many respects: she lost all the hand to hand combat training Kurt and Wolverine had given her since she arrived in 616, she couldn't walk down stairs in heels (like she wore heels the entirety of Excalibur), she "forgot" the ability to mask her presence from others and Emma had to re-teach her, and she acted real juvenile whining about Jean. I think her powerset was great and she did some great things but it was a real change from how she left 616.

It's sexually aggressive.

Astonishing Member Dante Milton's Avatar

I hated most of Rachel's time as Marvel Girl, it felt very regressive and that costume was awful, one of Bachalo's worst.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dante Milton View Post
    I hated most of Rachel's time as Marvel Girl, it felt very regressive and that costume was awful, one of Bachalo's worst.
    Amen... I totally agree and the lackluster reunion with Jean afterwards was straight up disrespectful. I hate how they couldn’t deal with the fact she is overpowered so they deliberate drag her down unnecessarily.

Say what you will about Rachel's look, but it's a near perfect outfit for the pandemic. Face mask and spikes to keep people six feet away at all times.

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dipter View Post
    Say what you will about Rachel's look, but it's a near perfect outfit for the pandemic. Face mask and spikes to keep people six feet away at all times.
    I hadn't thought of that! Covid still hasn't reached Krakoa but being from the future Rachel has clearly been getting ready for that mofo.

I like the look. I always did. I am not happy with Rachel losing the houndmarks as it's a visual difference between her and other Marvel redheads but aside from that I think you can use a real world comparison with holocaust tattoos. I am sure some people wanted them removed but other's kept them as reminders for others. Rachel showing up in a hound costume is a reminder to the others assembled at the "fashion" party FYI while your partying and dressing up this could still happen.

An experience like Rachel's, people don't just get over it. It will leave it's mark forever. The hound costume is also not derivative of Jean, which is another reason to like it.

Quote Originally Posted by blanchett View Post
    I like the look. I always did. I am not happy with Rachel losing the houndmarks as it's a visual difference between her and other Marvel redheads but aside from that I think you can use a real world comparison with holocaust tattoos. I am sure some people wanted them removed but other's kept them as reminders for others. Rachel showing up in a hound costume is a reminder to the others assembled at the "fashion" party FYI while your partying and dressing up this could still happen.

An experience like Rachel's, people don't just get over it. It will leave it's mark forever. The hound costume is also not derivative of Jean, which is another reason to like it.
    They are still there, they are just used as a power display when she's using her telepathy. It's possible that they finally erased the literal marks when she was revived but they still appear on her.

Eh, I'm kinda iffy on that. She got nerfed by Claremont in many respects: she lost all the hand to hand combat training Kurt and Wolverine had given her since she arrived in 616, she couldn't walk down stairs in heels (like she wore heels the entirety of Excalibur), she "forgot" the ability to mask her presence from others and Emma had to re-teach her, and she acted real juvenile whining about Jean. I think her powerset was great and she did some great things but it was a real change from how she left 616.
    Marvel girl Rachel was kinda neutered, she missed all the edginess from her spiked costume days, The Rachel I enjoyed the most was always a bit aggressive, unpredictable and a lovely troublemaker.
    Ommadon: “By summoning all the dark powers I will infest the spirit of man So that he uses his science and logic to destroy himself. Greed and avarice shall prevail, and those who do not hear my words shall pay the price. I'll teach man to use his machines, I'll show him what distorted science can give birth to. I'll teach him to fly like a fairy, and I'll give him the ultimate answer to all his science can ask. And the world will be free for my magic again.”

Astonishing Member Su_Whisterfield's Avatar

Rachel’s dress feels quite Thierry Mugler but I liked it least of the designs. Not problem with the spikes or colour, just didn’t work for me.

E6CE0B5C-5D85-4ECE-B19D-EB09AB1155F8.jpg

I’d give her TK floating spikes the way Jean has her TK crown.

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dthirds3 View Post
    I mean she dose like spikes
    Storm did too for a while and even Rogue and Kitty didn't mind wearing some way back when. I don't understand why spikes are no longer just a look of badassery. THE RED costume was never her hound costume. It was black. She chose the ones with the spikes as a reminder of what shouldn't happen again, not to relive some memory as "empowerment" and to really own it though she did anyway and made it something else. At least to me. I didn't see it as that. Just a cool costume. I think I remember Lady Gaga having a similar outfit and she is also a survivor of trauma. But I don't see her an Ray alike really. Its probs just a nod to an outfit.

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zelena View Post
    And she moved on… something the authors nowadays have hard time to do.
    Very much so. Under AD she was ready to move on when she came back after defeating Necrom. She said she was ready to accept her present and this world (616) as her home and future now. Though later Rory/Ahab was brought in bringing the whole thing back, so... I kinda choose to ignore it.