Page 63 of 64 FirstFirst ... 1353596061626364 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    The funny thing is- from what I've read- Cavil never actually wore the black suit on set. He was always in the red and blue suit, and Snyder changed it in post for this cut. And I did find it odd that, when he was evil, he was wearing the red and blues.
    It pretty much sums up Snyder's viewpoint on superheroes: dark and edgy = awesome! Bright and colorful = well, if it has to be, let's make him evil at least.

I really liked this version, but there were two things that really bugged me, and you've mentioned both of them.

First- the extended ending. I know this was his cut, and this was what he had wanted to do originally- build to the sequel that was originally planned. But that movie will never be made. No matter how much the internet fanboys whine and complain, they will never get that movie. So there was no reason to include the Knightmare II scene. It was long, it was plodding, it solidified the fact that Jared Leto was a horrid, horrid Joker. It should have been cut. And J'onn appearance felt odd- like, thanks for showing up and offering to help AFTER the world was nearly destroyed. Just end the movie with the team standing there as the Flying Fox rose into the air. Cut about 20 minutes from the runtime.
    Agreed.

Second- the music. While I know this was Snyder's cut, I honestly feel like all of the music choices he made here were really influenced by his daughter's death. Every song used was slow, mournful, and gave no energy to the scene. I'd give the villagers in the Aquaman scene a pass- that could be seen as some traditional song they sing to wish Arthur good luck or something. But the song during the crash with Barry and Iris was a yawner. And that version of Hallelujah was the single WORST version of that song I've ever heard. Plus- that cover of Come Together, that was in the theatrical cut? I really feel it was meant for this cut as well. There are certain parts of the score that kind of call back to that, but it's never played.
    I seem to run counter to the popular opinion here on this. I legit feel this is the only time in his superhero film career that his combination of music and scene wasn't absolutely cringe worthy.

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Didn't see the movie, but, from what I've head, they took out pretty much everything I liked in the theatrical version.
    I mean, Whedon's controversies aside, at least his Superman was someone people could legit look up to.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    Are you referring to the scene where he's talking to the fan at the beginning of the Whedon cut?
    Yeah and there was another one if I remember correctly but it's been a while so I can't tell for sure.

Didn't see the movie, but, from what I've head, they took out pretty much everything I liked in the theatrical version.
    Besides the scenes where Superman actually resembled Superman I thought the dialogue between Bruce and Diana was also quite good. Turned out that was from Whedon.

Quote Originally Posted by Metro View Post
    Also now that I think about it, what is with this movie and WW84 making completely unnecessary costume changes?
    In WW84 the gold armor meant and did nothing and Wonder Woman had no reason to put it on, here the black suit means nothing because Superman has no reason to wear it because they didn't adapt the healing coma.
    The black suit looks edgy, that's it. That choice was never about its purpose.
    Tolstoy will live forever. Some people do. But that's not enough. It's not the length of a life that matters, just the depth of it. The chances we take. The paths we choose. How we go on when our hearts break. Hearts always break and so we bend with our hearts. And we sway. But in the end what matters is that we loved... and lived.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    It pretty much sums up Snyder's viewpoint on superheroes: dark and edgy = awesome! Bright and colorful = well, if it has to be, let's make him evil at least.
    This is not Snyder's view point, at least not in the way you are making it. this is actually the view point of the MCU age that was used unfairly against Snyder.
    I seem to run counter to the popular opinion here on this. I legit feel this is the only time in his superhero film career that his combination of music and scene wasn't absolutely cringe worthy.
    How much music was used in the actual movie?

I mean, Whedon's controversies aside, at least his Superman was someone people could legit look up to.
    Whedon's Superman did nothing really. I am pretty sure people began to look up to Superman when he gave his life to kill Doomsday. It was in the film.

Ultimate Member

Yeah. It's just too bad Whedon is, well, Whedon

Quote Originally Posted by chicago_bastard View Post
    Yeah and there was another one if I remember correctly but it's been a while so I can't tell for sure.
    I thought that scene actually was good aside from the wonky CGI

Besides the scenes where Superman actually resembled Superman I thought the dialogue between Bruce and Diana was also quite good. Turned out that was from Whedon.
    Bruce & Diana in the Snyder cut were barely even allies, much less teammates. At least in the Whedon cut, they had actual chemistry, and even had differing views on resurrecting Superman. In the Snyder cut, Affleck looked half-dead outside of the Knightmare scene.

I assumed it was a mostly aesthetic choice

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    Whedon's Superman did nothing really. I am pretty sure people began to look up to Superman when he gave his life to kill Doomsday. It was in the film.
    No, there was a whole montage of faux-Christ imagery before he gave his life of people looking up to him

Incredible Member Wandering_Wand's Avatar

Snyder said WB didn't let him shoot any scenes with the black suit. So, he and his team brightened the original suit up a little so he could go back and color correct it to black later on if he was allowed. He had it planned from the beginning to be black, just like the comics which many of you seem to conveniently forget, but WB said no. It's also why there wasn't dialogue explaining its use - he wasn't allowed.

Him being smarter than many of you think he is adjusted the original suit to work either as blue/red or to be color corrected to black in post-production, which he did for ZSJL.

Source: Zack himself.

You all can keep running your fingers on the keyboard like you know something, though.

The Bruce and Diana scenes in the Whedon cut are a big reason I prefer it over the Snyder Cut well that and that it wasn't 4 hours long.

That was definitely the case for me, the only things in the theatrical cut I liked were Batman's "save one person" talk with Flash and the 2 minutes at the end where Superman actually acted like Superman.
    Oh, yeah, that was the best moment. Also liked the bit where everyone disagrees on whether resurrecting Superman is a good idea or not, the "we're the accidents" bit with Flash and Cyborg, and the perfect irony of Steppenwolf being defeated by his own Parademons. Also have to say that the change of having Batman ask Lois to be on hand was a smart writing decision over the sloppy contrivance of her just walking by when needed.

I'll believe it.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Wandering_Wand View Post
    Him being smarter than many of you think...
    Now this sounds like an episode of What If? if I ever heard one.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

BANNED

Snyder said WB didn't let him shoot any scenes with the black suit. So, he and his team brightened the original suit up a little so he could go back and color correct it to black later on if he was allowed. He had it planned from the beginning to be black, just like the comics which many of you seem to conveniently forget, but WB said no. It's also why there wasn't dialogue explaining its use - he wasn't allowed.

Him being smarter than many of you think he is adjusted the original suit to work either as blue/red or to be color corrected to black in post-production, which he did for ZSJL.

You all can keep running your fingers on the keyboard like you know something, though.
    Except no one forgets that the suit was black in the comics, the difference is in the comics the suit served an actual purpose and there was a reason for Superman to be wearing it, here that's not the case at all, just because something was in the comics doesn't make it good, especially when the context and purpose surrounding it is completely absent in the movie.

Except no one forgets that the suit was black in the comics, the difference is in the comics the suit served an actual purpose and there was a reason for Superman to be wearing it, here that's not the case at all, just because something was in the comics doesn't make it good, especially when the context and purpose surrounding it is completely absent in the movie.
    Exactly. I can't believe that post is real lol Snyder is all style over substance. It's why he can get the visual look of these properties down but doesn't get the story/characterization that makes those scenes important.

So WB had expectations for how their IP was used, and Snyder complied just enough to say he did while planning to change it anyway, and you think this makes him look good?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    The Bruce and Diana scenes in the Whedon cut are a big reason I prefer it over the Snyder Cut well that and that it wasn't 4 hours long.
    I don't think any JL movie needs to be 4 hours long, but I'd watch a 4 hour JL movie if it was good. But that would mean have more than a barebones skybeam alien invasion plot with no character storyline for half the League

I agree those scenes made the Whedon cut better. It showed them interact like actual humans on a superhero team

Oh, yeah, that was the best moment. Also liked the bit where everyone disagrees on whether resurrecting Superman is a good idea or not, the "we're the accidents" bit with Flash and Cyborg, and the perfect irony of Steppenwolf being defeated by his own Parademons. Also have to say that the change of having Batman ask Lois to be on hand was a smart writing decision over the sloppy contrivance of her just walking by when needed.
    It was a little weird to see Martian Manhunter be so invested in Lois' and Clark's relationship. But DCEU Lois is kinda lame anyway

On the other hand, I didn't care for Flash's attempt at racial humor in the Whedon cut

Quote Originally Posted by 80sbaby View Post
    Exactly. I can't believe that post is real lol Snyder is all style over substance. It's why he can get the visual look of these properties down but doesn't get the story/characterization that makes those scenes important.
    I encounter plenty of these kinds of comments in the DC Reddit subs. It's baffling to me how such a style over substance director has such support

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    I encounter plenty of these kinds of comments in the DC Reddit subs. It's baffling to me how such a style over substance director has such support
    I mean, he knows how to recreate actual panels from comics...but that's about all he's good at. It's like what I've read what comic book editors really want out of potential pencilers - they're less interested in flashy pinup pages and more interested in if they're actually able to tell a coherent story.

Astonishing Member

I mean, he knows how to recreate actual panels from comics...but that's about all he's good at. It's like what I've read what comic book editors really want out of potential pencilers - they're less interested in flashy pinup pages and more interested in if they're actually able to tell a coherent story.
    Meh, a lot of these same style over substance fans grew up in the comics of the 90's. Stylistically pretty art. Super simple stories, art that was a bunch of pin-up and splash pages.

(That said, nothing wrong with that, I also love the Bay Transformers)

There's a market for everything, including people who just want to see heroes looking cool do cool things.