Page 64 of 64 FirstFirst ... 14546061626364
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by titanfan View Post
    Meh, a lot of these same style over substance fans grew up in the comics of the 90's. Stylistically pretty art. Super simple stories, art that was a bunch of pin-up and splash pages.

(That said, nothing wrong with that, I also love the Bay Transformers)

There's a market for everything, including people who just want to see heroes looking cool do cool things.
    Fair enough. That said, as I mentioned earlier, simply recreating your favorite panels from comic books don't make for a good superhero movie, either.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

I would have loved Snyder when I was a 13 yr old boy. He's got the "tough guy pathos" down to a slo-mo, angsty pop song, needle-drop science.

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    I don't think any JL movie needs to be 4 hours long, but I'd watch a 4 hour JL movie if it was good. But that would mean have more than a barebones skybeam alien invasion plot with no character storyline for half the League

I agree those scenes made the Whedon cut better. It showed them interact like actual humans on a superhero team

It was a little weird to see Martian Manhunter be so invested in Lois' and Clark's relationship. But DCEU Lois is kinda lame anyway

On the other hand, I didn't care for Flash's attempt at racial humor in the Whedon cut

I encounter plenty of these kinds of comments in the DC Reddit subs. It's baffling to me how such a style over substance director has such support
    Oh I've watched extended cuts of the Original Dawn of the Dead not Snyder's and the Godfather I & II and loved them they more depth to the films. But neither Justice League not Whedon or Snyder's would I call good and thus one benefits IMO for not being 4 hours long. I also agree about the interaction in the Whedon Cut vs Snyder Cut.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    I would have loved Snyder when I was a 13 yr old boy. He's got the "tough guy pathos" down to a slo-mo, angsty pop song, needle-drop science.
    Quoted in agreement.

I would have loved it as a child but would have later hated it as an adult.

In general, I greatly dislike the Whedon cut of Justice League- with the exception of the scene with Bruce and Diana, after Superman's resurrection. I feel like there was one other moment I really liked, but for the life of me I can't recall it.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    I mean, he knows how to recreate actual panels from comics...but that's about all he's good at. It's like what I've read what comic book editors really want out of potential pencilers - they're less interested in flashy pinup pages and more interested in if they're actually able to tell a coherent story.
    Yeah, but does he get the message behind those panels? Not from what I saw in Watchmen.

Quote Originally Posted by titanfan View Post
    Meh, a lot of these same style over substance fans grew up in the comics of the 90's. Stylistically pretty art. Super simple stories, art that was a bunch of pin-up and splash pages.

(That said, nothing wrong with that, I also love the Bay Transformers)

There's a market for everything, including people who just want to see heroes looking cool do cool things.
    I'd understand that if I thought Snyder's style was entertaining. But he can't even be bothered to put color in his JL movie

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    That's about it. And he didn't even have much of that in JL.

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    Oh I've watched extended cuts of the Original Dawn of the Dead not Snyder's and the Godfather I & II and loved them they more depth to the films. But neither Justice League not Whedon or Snyder's would I call good and thus one benefits IMO for not being 4 hours long. I also agree about the interaction in the Whedon Cut vs Snyder Cut.
    Even the Godfather wasn't that long IIRC. But at least it had a story and characters

And the Whedon cut generally had more actual human interaction, for better or worse
    Last edited by CosmiComic; 09-01-2021 at 09:15 PM.

Finished the first disc. I have to say, it's arguably better than the theatrical version, because the characters are more developed. That said, I have some questions:
    1) was cyborg always this powerful? That he could launch nuclear missles if he wanted? That would put him on equal footing with the other league members. And how much of victors body was destroyed? Didn't look like much was left, which begs the question, how could he even survive to become cyborg?
    Then there's the Martian man hunter posing as L Martha" to do that, he would have to know where Martha was and what was going on with her in order to convince lois.. Isn't that an invasion of privacy?
    When did aqua man meet mera? It seems like this took place after his movie.
    It might have been nice to see Clark snap awake and fly out of the kryptonian ship, instead of just landing in the plaza.
    I’m not sure I like where things were left with aqua man and Wonder Woman; Arthur is still torn between two worlds, uncertain of where)
    He belongs. Diana lost everyone on paradise island, and should have gone there before Wayne manor.
    Did mera always have the accent? I mean, I don’t think I remember it from aqua man.
    I still liked this different version of luthor- the joker, on the other hand, really didn’t make the grade. In fact, I don’t think that whole scene served any real purpose. And black really doesn’t become Superman.
    Last edited by protege; 09-08-2021 at 05:12 PM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by protege View Post
    Finished the first disc. I have to say, it's arguably better than the theatrical version, because the characters are more developed. That said, I have some questions:
    1) was cyborg always this powerful? That he could launch nuclear missles if he wanted? That would put him on equal footing with the other league members. And how much of victors body was destroyed? Didn't look like muck was left, which begs the question, how could he even survive to become cyborg?
    Then there's the Martian man hunter posing as L Martha" to do that, he would have to know where Martha was and what was going on with her in order to convince lois.. Isn't that an invasion of privacy?
    I don't think this version developed anyone any better outside of Cyborg

Anyway, I don't think he was quite that powerful in JWJL IIRC. And even in ZSJL he didn't really use his abilities to his full potential

As for Martian Manhunter, that scene was creepy, and ruined one of the few genuine heartfelt moments. So yeah, I'd say it's a violation of privacy

Idk exactly about Aquaman and Mera. ZSJL isn't quite in sync with Aquaman

1) was cyborg always this powerful? That he could launch nuclear missles if he wanted? That would put him on equal footing with the other league members.
    Yes (depends on the writer though), yes, and yes which I think was the point.

And how much of victors body was destroyed? Didn't look like muck was left, which begs the question, how could he even survive to become cyborg?
    Huh? He was a torso (entire waist down was gone) plus one arm. The side of his face (left eye left ear), but beyond that, that's plenty to work with. If that's all that was left of him, I'd hate to see whatever was left of his mother...

The comics sometimes makes it seem like Victor is just a disembodied head, but Snyder didn't go that route here.

Yes. *shrugs*

Before. It retroactively explains where he got his outfit from and the quindent (5-pronged trident). On the other hand, why Vulko looked like that and Mera had an accent...don't know.

Alright let me say this. I think the point of ZSJL is to show what Snyder would have done in 2017 if he had been allowed to finish in 2017. Meaning, that's the groundwork he would have laid for Aquaman for someone to take the baton and run with it. The only new footage was the John Stewart, Martian Manhunter, and Knightmare scenes, and pickup shots, and everything else was pre-existing material, for better or worse. Maybe he thought people would understand that (a "what if it came out in 2017"), but, doesn't look to be the case.

Quote Originally Posted by Nate Grey View Post
    Yes (depends on the writer though), yes, and yes which I think was the point.

Huh? He was a torso (entire waist down was gone) plus one arm. The side of his face (left eye left ear), but beyond that, that's plenty to work with. If that's all that was left of him, I'd hate to see whatever was left of his mother...

The comics sometimes makes it seem like Victor is just a disembodied head, but Snyder didn't go that route here.

Yes. *shrugs*

Before. It retroactively explains where he got his outfit from and the quindent (5-pronged trident). On the other hand, why Vulko looked like that and Mera had an accent...don't know.
    But can you survive with a brain, a heart, if your nervous system is shredded?

But can you survive with a brain, a heart, if your nervous system is shredded?
    Apparently so. Vic's dad probably had him in some form of stasis though until he figured out how to get the mother box to work.