Page 1 of 64 123451151 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member

Default Zack Snyder's Justice League *SPOILERS*

Just finished watching the film and have to say that it was great! I have to say that the way it was structured into chapters was the first true time that I felt like I was watching a comic book as a movie.

First thing I think its hard to compare it to the typical cbm that we have come to know because it was so deep in fantasy and mythological storytelling. I got LOTR vibes in the sense I was taken on a journey instead of just given a plot.

Almost every character had a great arc imo Arthur was the only one who didn't and that very well could have been done on purpose given his origin as told in his movie. Going into his story would have over bloated this film in a bad way.

Wonder Woman was awesome, for WW3, Patty needs to revert back to this one no question.

Cyborg arc was soooo well written, I can tell his emotions and psychological characteristics will be major discussion points on how he should be interpreted.

The Flash was good, I liked him. I'm fine with this version considering he needed to be different from the tv series version. He may not be for everyone but personally I don't see the point in having the same character interpretation in tv and movies at the same time.

Superman was good and had some good butt kicking scenes. When he met Steppenwolf and just acted like a cocky badass, I was impressed.

Batman was good but I think when you remember him from bvs you see his journey from losing faith in humanity to it being restored by Superman's sacrifice and how he has changed, his character then becomes freaking amazing! Never thought I'd say this but I want more Batflack.

Steppenwolf was way better and his motivations clear, he was in trouble with Darkseid and wanted to please him to get back in his good graces. Definitely had the best fight scenes for a single villian than any other film since MoS Zod fight.

Darkseid, how in the heck can he surpass all other villains in other cbm without even fighting the heroes? All I saw was that when he meets the JL its GOING DOWN!!!! Not joking his presence was that strong.

The epilogue sold me on any future films. Jared Leto is tge Joker we want and need!!! He had one great line after another in the span of only a few minutes. The boy wonder line had me thinking Batman was going to kill him right there because that cut deep.

Overall score 9/10. It was one of the best films (not just cbm) that I've seen in a long time. We need ZSJL2! HBO Max needs to greenlight it asap. The Snyderverse may be a perfect match for a streaming service imo.

Also, it did not feel like 4 hours at all. I think that can be attributed to how he structured it, as it felt like I was binge watching a mini series. For a comparison the LOTR films and IW both felt longer even though they had shorter run times than this film. Even though the film didn't feel like 4 hours, the reality is 4 hour films will not work consistently in theaters.

Also, I need to know is Lois pregnant? I saw a pregnancy test box in her drawer. If so, is it Clark's? My main nitpick is that the timeline of events is not clear so I don't know how long Superman has been dead at the beginning of the movie.
    Last edited by ComicJunkie21; 03-18-2021 at 05:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ComicJunkie21 View Post
    Wonder Woman was awesome, for WW3, Patty needs to revert back to this one no question.

Cyborg arc was soooo well written, I can tell his emotions and psychological characteristics will be major discussion points on how he should be interpreted.

The Flash was good, I liked him. I'm fine with this version considering he needed to be different from the tv series version. He may not be for everyone but personally I don't see the point in having the same character interpretation in tv and movies at the same time.
    You hit most of the stuff, Cyborg is way better, Flash is better in this movie, this version of Wonder Woman is better than 1984. I won't go that crazy with the best comic book movie in a while thing but this movie felt like a Justice League movie where everyone played a part while the first one felt like Batman and Friends. The ending was still average comic book movie stuff but it is easy to overlook it because the first one was so bad to compare to this one. It is a better movie and what should have been released the first time.

I can't believe they didn't put Darkseid in the first movie. That was one of the many things in this movie I watched and went this should have been an easy decision to leave this in the movie.
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 03-18-2021 at 06:01 AM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    You hit most of the stuff, Cyborg is way better, Flash is better in this movie, this version of Wonder Woman is better than 1984. I won't go that crazy with the best comic book movie in a while thing but this movie felt like a Justice League movie where everyone played a part while the first one felt like Batman and Friends. The ending was still average comic book movie stuff but it is easy to overlook it because the first one was so bad to compare to this one. It is a better movie and what should have been released the first time.

I can't believe they didn't put Darkseid in the first movie. That was one of the many things in this movie I watched and went this should have been an easy decision to leave this in the movie.
    The reason I feel like this was one of the best cbm films I've seen in a while is because it created a new structure on how to tell cbm stories that we have not really seen. This was genuinely the first cbm film that I watched where I felt like I was seeing an actual comicbook being shown in movie form. The best way I can explain it is I felt like I was being taken through a JL comic series starting from issue #1 and ending with issue #6. The cbms we've had up to this point feel like adaptations of a comic idea but not the story or book itself. That structure added another layer to the film that I didn't expect. It's pretty interesting and I think a few future cbms will benefit from this structure when it's appropriate.

Completely agree with Darkseid, how did that get left out. After seeing this I seriously wonder where in the heck the additional 100 million that they gave Whedon went to. The best scenes were already shot.
    Last edited by ComicJunkie21; 03-18-2021 at 06:30 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Definitely a Tour De Force. I've watched 2 hour movies that felt longer than this. Cyborg and his relationship with his Dad were the center piece of the movie imo. Add to that the special effects.action and Heroes using their powers were just crazy. The rave reviews are well deserved.

Mighty Member

So, let me understand this: Zach Snyder releases BVS in 2016, and the reception was not good. Fans everywhere were crying out for him to be removed from the DCEU and then Joss Whedon did reshoots. The "Save Martha" scene is still mocked to this day despite Snyder's attempts to defend it as a lynchpin. Now, all of a sudden with a four hour cut, people want him back on the train again? What did he do right with this cut that he missed the farm on in BVS. Because BVS still feels very rushed with trying to introduce other heroes like WW and the video feed that Diana sees with Flash, Aquaman and Cyborg.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by CTTT View Post
    So, let me understand this: Zach Snyder releases BVS in 2016, and the reception was not good. Fans everywhere were crying out for him to be removed from the DCEU and then Joss Whedon did reshoots. The "Save Martha" scene is still mocked to this day despite Snyder's attempts to defend it as a lynchpin. Now, all of a sudden with a four hour cut, people want him back on the train again? What did he do right with this cut that he missed the farm on in BVS. Because BVS still feels very rushed with trying to introduce other heroes like WW and the video feed that Diana sees with Flash, Aquaman and Cyborg.
    Maybe ppl are realizing he didn't miss the farm on BVS they did. The guy knows how to pay a set up off like a mothaeffa. Everything he set up in Bvs got paid off and then some..
    Last edited by CliffHanger2; 03-18-2021 at 09:27 AM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post
    Maybe ppl are realizing he didn't miss the farm on BVS they did. The guy knows how to pay a set up off like a mothaeffa. Everything he set up in Bvs got paid off and then some..
    Maybe he did take some of the criticisms and tried to improve on them.

So Wonder Woman is still crushed by Superman in seconds, and she's still useless against Steppenwolf.
    Oh, but she chops his head off....after the other heroes have already beaten him. Thanks for the pittance, Zack.

After all that, it's still a Justice League movie where the JUSTICE LEAGUE is a bunch of jobbers who can't do anything without Superman

If this really is the end of Snyder's DC, I say good riddance.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Guy_McNichts View Post
    So Wonder Woman is still crushed by Superman in seconds, and she's still useless against Steppenwolf.
    Oh, but she chops his head off....after the other heroes have already beaten him. Thanks for the pittance, Zack.

After all that, it's still a Justice League movie where the JUSTICE LEAGUE is a bunch of jobbers who can't do anything without Superman

Is she still posing in this movie? Because I noticed she did that in BvS and JL but not WW

Retired

Don't you think the overstuffed nature of BATMAN V SUPERMAN: DAWN OF JUSTICE comes from the studio notes? It seems to me that Snyder had an idea for one movie--BATMAN V SUPERMAN--but then the studio wanted him to do all this other stuff in the same movie to set up a Justice League movie--DAWN OF JUSTICE.

Snyder was trying to be a team player, but doing both those things in one movie--for a theatrical running time--was not something he could pull off.

Even with the Extended Cut, what breaks the movie is when Bruce lapses into his nightmare coma--it's just too hard to get back to the plot of the movie at hand, when we've spent so much time in this other movie for no reason that makes sense within the story. That would have been better as a post-credit scene.

However, in ZACK SNYDER'S JUSTICE LEAGUE, the nightmare is in the Epilogue. And I have to contradict myself. Because shifting the nightmare to the end didn't work so well for me either. It's less egregious because it's at the end and it's not doing any harm to the movie proper. But it feels so disconnected. I can figure out how it fits within the broader narrative, but I wish JUSTICE LEAGUE had been even longer to make the nightmare a more developed part of the movie, so it fit better.

That lack of making everything come together as a satisfying whole is what stops me from saying it's a perfect movie. It's very close to perfect, 9/10, but I think Snyder needed even more time and studio support to craft his best movie. Or else two movies.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    Maybe he did take some of the criticisms and tried to improve on them.
    Doesn't feel like he deferred to any criticism. Just got a chance to tell the story he wanted.

This was definitely the better movie vs Whedon's cut. The four hours zipped by. I liked it a lot. That said...I'm trying to reconcile how the movie had no pacing issues whatsoever until the two new scenes Snyder filmed, which occur after the Luther rendezvous with Deathstroke on his yacht scene. I liked both but their place in the movie was kinda jarring like they belonged in another movie.

Ok...problems? Meh, not many. I don't like how Cyborg, and now oddly Mera, are orphans. But I guess in Mera's case, both cuts of the movie never jibbed with Wan's Aquaman anyway, its just odd Snyder leaned into that more. And not sure what to make of Hobo Vulko.

But back to Cyborg. Kinda torn re: specifically toward him being an orphan. I mean I don't like that he's an orphan now, buuuut...man did he and Joe Morton and even Elinore Stone (Karen Bryson) get some much needed character development. I wish I understood why super heating the last motherbox meant Silas had to be in the protective cube WITH the motherbox, but yeah he (Silas) was great up to that point and Silas's voice over at the end was great.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CTTT View Post
    The set up for this movie seemingly being more straightforward, assembling a team of superheroes to fight an alien invasion, might just be easier for him to execute than...whatever BvS was trying to be.

Steppenwolf being an invading alien who is upfront about his goals is better than Lex Luthor's convoluted plot.

Have you seen the movie? Is this actually what happens? Because people have been saying she comes across better here than either the theatrical cut or WW84, at least in terms of action scenes.
    If she really needlessly kills some terrorists in front of some kids, I can't see this being an improvement on her WW84 characterization though.

What amount of screen time does Superman have, and is he still essentially a plot device than a character?

Ultimate Member

Snyder doesn't seem to have a problem with heroes being killers.

Incredible Member

My interpretation for the entire Return of Superman fight scene is that none of them were really trying to hurt Clark so no one was using full power. Everyone was more focused on persuading him to calm down.

WW was anything but useless. In fact most of the film the women were kicking the most butt. Steppenwolf himself kept saying how strong she was and how she could've helped save her Amazonian sisters if she was there when he got the first motherbox from them.

Here's to hoping the Snyder cut lives on with HBO Max.