Page 11 of 64 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314152161 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning Rider View Post
    I think there's a 3 or 2.5-hour long version of this that I think would have been a crowd-pleaser. But I'm glad we got all of it.
    Some special effects improvement might also came later, after the bad reception.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    I thought it was pretty good, but it really didn’t need to be 4 hours. A lot could have been cut to make the whole movie flow better. You don’t need 15 establishing shots before each scene and I know it’s Zack Snyder but every movement doesn’t need to be in slo mo. Obviously it was way better than the theatrical cut though that’s not saying much.

The ancient battle was pretty cool. I just wish they would have shown Darkseid single handedly wiping out an army before his defeat. Yeah he took out the GL but he didn’t seem overly powerful before Zeus and Ares stomped the hell out of him. They should have explained that he’s way more powerful now that he has Omega Beams and the Omega Effect. It’s just odd to have you big bad get his ass kicked in the middle of the movie and expect him to still seem super intimidating. Superman and Wonder Woman together could totally take this guy out.
    I’m scratching my head over these complaints that the ancient battle made Darkseid look weak. I don’t agree with that at all. It took massive armies, gods, etc to just wound him enough to get him to retreat and it was obviously a major struggle. It was also reiterated that *that* was the only time that ever happened to him.

I really liked the scenes of Superman gaining his memory. Some touching moments with Lois and Martha. But knowing what Snyder originally had in mind did pretty much ruin any potential heartfelt moments between Lois and Clark for me. Hints of a connection between Bruce and Diana, then he was also going to impregnate Lois?!? That’s some serious Bat-wank from Snyder.
    Wait, what??

The villains still felt quite bland. Steppenwolf could have been more interesting.

MoS still got the best villains, both menace and characterization.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    I wouldn't say that I had that much emotional investment in the Russian family, but having the heroes save the day in the middle of nowhere, to the knowledge of no one, is a special kind of underwhelming I haven't felt before.
    You must not like comics then since this happens very, very often.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    I really liked the scenes of Superman gaining his memory. Some touching moments with Lois and Martha. But knowing what Snyder originally had in mind did pretty much ruin any potential heartfelt moments between Lois and Clark for me. Hints of a connection between Bruce and Diana, then he was also going to impregnate Lois?!? That’s some serious Bat-wank from Snyder. Though they did try to rectify the Bruce-Lois lovechild by showing the pregnancy test in Lois’ apartment. Thankfully someone (possibly Johns) wanted to make sure we know that Lois’ was already pregnant, making her death that much harder for Superman (Injustice?) and easier for Darkseid to corrupt him with Anti-Life.
    So something that was discarded ruined a moment that actually happened? I just... ah, who cares at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post

So something that was discarded ruined a moment that actually happened? I just... ah, who cares at this point.
    I just finished reading up on this. At the time this movie was made, it was not the plan for Bruce to impregnate Lous. The plan was for Bruce to fall in love with Lois, thus giving him an internal conflict about bringing Supes back. Fast forward to the far future, post JL3, years later after Bruce sacrificed himself to save Lois to save the world, and Superman and Lois’s son becomes the new Batman. I’m very glad that WB gave a hard no to Snyder about doing any kind of love triangle plot involving Lois. It’s a bad idea, and the movie really had no room to invest in a Bruce/Lois romance story and make it work somehow. Not fond of the idea of a “Bruce Kent” taking in the Batman role but sounds like it would’ve been a short epilogue scene anyway.
    Last edited by Beaubier; 03-19-2021 at 10:09 AM.

Ultimate Member

I really liked this movie.

Although, I must confess that I fast forwarded some parts of the movie. I didn't hate the 2017 JL, I thought it was fairly OK.

But my full thoughts-

1. Zack Snyder's eye for action was very evident. The action sequences were amazing, a bit drawn out but amazing.
    2. Screw Joss Whedon for what he did to Ray Fisher. The major plotting change that was made to the movie was completely cutting out large parts of Cyborg's storyline. That was a bad storytelling decision and it did nothing to improve the movie.
    3. The team felt like a team. Everyone played a key role.
    4. I was actually rather surprised at how much the 2017 version still featured in this movie. Some scenes were completely untouched from the 2017 version. And yes, Snyder pretty much shot about 80% of the movie but Whedon made a lot dumb choices that added nothing to the move. He just needed to put his fingerprints all over it and it came across as clunky and awkward.
    5. Steppenwolf was better done and I kind of felt sorry for the guy. But I don't see why WW needed to kill him though.
    6. The 4:3 aspect ratio didn't really bother me at all. If anything, I liked it.
    7. The CG was terrible at some points. Cyborg's design and CG didn't really work very well at some points.
    8. The Knightmare scene was totally unnecessary.
    9. I still have an issue with the Snyder's Superman. Something about this version is too stiff and one note.

All in all, it was a very enjoyable experience. A solid 7.5/10.

Streaming has completely changed the game, big budget movies have largely been tailored to the 2-3hr theatre going experience but with streaming being a thing, we might get more of these 4 hour monsters. A lot of movies in the past were regarded as disasters until their directors cut got released. I hope we can get restored versions of films like Heavens Gate and Once Upon in America because the longer directors cuts of those movies completely re-contextualized and improved them.

I don't hate Whedon's version either, it was overall ok.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning Rider View Post
    I think there's a 3 or 2.5-hour long version of this that I think would have been a crowd-pleaser. But I'm glad we got all of it.
    I am not sure, I think this 6 part 4 hours worked out for the best, a 2.5 hour would still feel like a part 1 kind of movie and in many past cases, the first part of a split finale series have never bolded well. I cant think of any split part movie apart from deathly hallows part 1 that worked well for the story, so it was a blessing that it went 6 ways.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    More often than not, there is someone to save in comics beyond abstract. Also, comics are not live action, so different standards

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    I was talking more about BvS, where Batman doesn't seem to care about killing people. Seems very OOC
    Batfleck kinda explains that when he had that "After 20 years, how many good guys are left" exchange with Alfred which having hinted at Bats loosing it when Robin was killed by th Joker with the display of Robin's written on "The joke is on you".....which is heavily implies that Robin's death is Bats fault for having a no kill policy where he could have killed/permanently stopped Joker many times but didn't so the joke is on bats for his no kill policy which lead to th death of his sidekick/protege.

One of the singers sniffed Auaman's coat in Iceland, that left me disoriented and I stopped watching. But right now I'm laughing at it, so I guess I'll give this movie another go.
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Besouro View Post
    Batfleck kinda explains that when he had that "After 20 years, how many good guys are left" exchange with Alfred which having hinted at Bats loosing it when Robin was killed by th Joker with the display of Robin's written on "The joke is on you".....which is heavily implies that Robin's death is Bats fault for having a no kill policy where he could have killed/permanently stopped Joker many times but didn't so the joke is on bats for his no kill policy which lead to th death of his sidekick/protege.
    The weapon in Robins display looks pretty deadly, so who even knows of this version of B&R were really that non-lethal

Quote Originally Posted by Speed Force League Unlimited View Post
    One of the singers sniffed Auaman's coat in Iceland, that left me disoriented and I stopped watching. But right now I'm laughing at it, so I guess I'll give this movie another go.
    I expect this to be my favorite scene

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Besouro View Post
    So they're trying to say not killing people is wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by Speed Force League Unlimited View Post
    It's much better if you watch it as a parody and laugh at the ridiculous parts.

Quote Originally Posted by 80sbaby View Post
    I mean, those are some of League but not the entire team, which is kinda the point. They get together for threats none of them can handle solo, including Superman.
    Besides Superman those are the top fighters of the league and he stomps them out of 6 members Superman is the only one who can beat him that says a lot.