Page 2 of 64 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast
    Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    Snyder doesn't seem to have a problem with heroes being killers.
    I felt that the characters that were killed by the heroes were all ones who more than deserved it. W.W. only kills after she's tried everything else and she has to stop many innocent lives from being taken. At first it seems like wild Superman has killed those police officers but then you see Bruce making sure those guys are okay and telling them to get to safety.

Most of the deaths were para-demons killing people and themselves getting knocked off. That and Steppenwolf slaying others and then finally getting his comeuppance.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I felt that the characters that were killed by the heroes were all ones who more than deserved it. W.W. only kills after she's tried everything else and she has to stop many innocent lives from being taken. At first it seems like wild Superman has killed those police officers but then you see Bruce making sure those guys are okay and telling them to get to safety.

Most of the deaths were para-demons killing people and themselves getting knocked off. That and Steppenwolf slaying others and then finally getting his comeuppance.
    I was talking more about BvS, where Batman doesn't seem to care about killing people. Seems very OOC

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ComicJunkie21 View Post
    Just finished watching the film and have to say that it was great! I have to say that the way it was structured into chapters was the first true time that I felt like I was watching a comic book as a movie.

First thing I think its hard to compare it to the typical cbm that we have come to know because it was so deep in fantasy and mythological storytelling. I got LOTR vibes in the sense I was taken on a journey instead of just given a plot.

Almost every character had a great arc imo Arthur was the only one who didn't and that very well could have been done on purpose given his origin as told in his movie. Going into his story would have over bloated this film in a bad way.

Wonder Woman was awesome, for WW3, Patty needs to revert back to this one no question.

Cyborg arc was soooo well written, I can tell his emotions and psychological characteristics will be major discussion points on how he should be interpreted.

The Flash was good, I liked him. I'm fine with this version considering he needed to be different from the tv series version. He may not be for everyone but personally I don't see the point in having the same character interpretation in tv and movies at the same time.

Superman was good and had some good butt kicking scenes. When he met Steppenwolf and just acted like a cocky badass, I was impressed.

Batman was good but I think when you remember him from bvs you see his journey from losing faith in humanity to it being restored by Superman's sacrifice and how he has changed, his character then becomes freaking amazing! Never thought I'd say this but I want more Batflack.

Steppenwolf was way better and his motivations clear, he was in trouble with Darkseid and wanted to please him to get back in his good graces. Definitely had the best fight scenes for a single villian than any other film since MoS Zod fight.

Darkseid, how in the heck can he surpass all other villains in other cbm without even fighting the heroes? All I saw was that when he meets the JL its GOING DOWN!!!! Not joking his presence was that strong.

The epilogue sold me on any future films. Jared Leto is tge Joker we want and need!!! He had one great line after another in the span of only a few minutes. The boy wonder line had me thinking Batman was going to kill him right there because that cut deep.

Overall score 9/10. It was one of the best films (not just cbm) that I've seen in a long time. We need ZSJL2! HBO Max needs to greenlight it asap. The Snyderverse may be a perfect match for a streaming service imo.

Also, it did not feel like 4 hours at all. I think that can be attributed to how he structured it, as it felt like I was binge watching a mini series. For a comparison the LOTR films and IW both felt longer even though they had shorter run times than this film. Even though the film didn't feel like 4 hours, the reality is 4 hour films will not work consistently in theaters.

Also, I need to know is Lois pregnant? I saw a pregnancy test box in her drawer. If so, is it Clark's? My main nitpick is that the timeline of events is not clear so I don't know how long Superman has been dead at the beginning of the movie.
    I think you have already said everything in the film that was good. Some of the only few weakness was Lois Lane's arc , the lack of civilians and maybe the Epilogue.

However you are right the most about LOTR, I put it more on games of thrones in story telling because it had stronger characters arcs, because Snyder made this more as a mini-series than movies.

It's kind of insane the scope of what Snyder's vision was but you can tell it was meant to be deep and long, the 4 hours is just kind of like a first part.

The cliff hanger was not as worrying as I thought it will be. the movie closed perfectly minus the muddy epilogue ironically also a complaint with return of the king's epilogue,

This movie does not really highly need a sequel but one would be nice, I think Snyder wrapped things up for a man that knew this was his last film to a vision he never will complete.

The way the story is told is so well heavy enough, it felt it paid off to end with Stephenwolf's defeat even if the movie kept on building up Darkseid.

Speaking of ending in cliff hangers, I think this movie got it right to say Joss Whedon final season of Angel, that also ended in a cliff hanger but got it so wrong.

Overall very well done from Snyder, I think I will give it days before I give it a final grade but this movie I guarantee would forever be a vindication for Snyder.
    Last edited by Castle; 03-18-2021 at 10:51 AM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post

Err, in the Snyder cut WW blew the crap out of a terrorist who wasn't a threat (to her), vaporizing him, a large part of the wall and killing him in front of a bunch of kids.

I 100% think that most of the praise for this (other than people who are already fans of Snyder) is coming from a comparison to the theatrical version. Which is kinda funny because a lot of the "Whedon version" is still in this film. I really think they downplayed how much of Snyder's stuff they used. It definitely fleshes out Cyborg (heh) a bit more but I also thought he was a standout in the Whedon version. And adding Darksied was better motivation for Steppenwolf, who also was a better character overall. All that could have taken an additional 40 minutes or so, though. Not 2 more hours.

Flash is still channeling Peter Parker and trips over himself, Superman still completely dominates Steppenwolf, etc. It’s not that much different than the initial release, imo. Better, sure but not by much, imo.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Err, in the Snyder cut WW blew the crap out of a terrorist who wasn't a threat (to her), vaporizing him, a large part of the wall and killing him in front of a bunch of kids.
    Lol right. She certainly didn't "try everything else" first.

Extraordinary Member

If ppl's biggest complaint is WW killing a terrorist who was shooting into a crowd of kid's and about to fire again. That's really their problem seriously lol. "Oh the poor terrorists"

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Guy_McNichts View Post
    So Wonder Woman is still crushed by Superman in seconds, and she's still useless against Steppenwolf.
    Oh, but she chops his head off....after the other heroes have already beaten him. Thanks for the pittance, Zack.

After all that, it's still a Justice League movie where the JUSTICE LEAGUE is a bunch of jobbers who can't do anything without Superman

If this really is the end of Snyder's DC, I say good riddance.
    Doesn't sound like you've seen the movie.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post
    If ppl's biggest complaint is WW killing a terrorist who was shooting into a crowd of kid's and about to fire again. That's really their problem seriously lol. "Oh the poor terrorists"
    Nobody sheds tears over the terrorists themselves. If that's the takeaway from the complaint, you're not listening to the complaints.

But there is nothing interesting about seeing a fully powered and experienced Wonder Woman punch downward and kill some non-powered dudes that she is more than capable of subduing without being excessive. This is something she does all the time without breaking a sweat. She's willing to take a life if there is no other option, but nothing in this scenario sounds like something WW would need to take that action for.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Nobody sheds tears over the terrorists themselves. If that's the takeaway from the complaint, you're not listening to the complaints.

But there is nothing interesting about seeing a fully powered and experienced Wonder Woman punch downward and kill some non-powered dudes that she is more than capable of subduing without being excessive. This is something she does all the time without breaking a sweat. She's willing to take a life if there is no other option, but nothing in this scenario sounds like something WW would need to take that action for.
    You should watch the movie first. And seriously that type of argument...I'm not gonna bother with.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

You should watch the movie first. And seriously that type of argument...I'm not gonna bother with.
    I plan on watching it next weekend, and I will refrain from commenting on other parts of the movie until I know firsthand.

Descriptions of this scene are pretty consistent though, and as a WW fan, it sounds absolutely stupid as ****.

Wait, so we have people arguing "from descriptions" against people who have actually seen the movie? WTF?

I watched it and agree with him. YMMV

Quote Originally Posted by Nate Grey View Post
    Wait, so we have people arguing "from descriptions" against people who have actually seen the movie? WTF?
    It's not like the description lacks any context. It wasn't a complicated scene or anything.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post

Exactly. It's excessive force at best, and needlessly cruel, especially when she does it in front of a bunch of kids.

We see the same cruelty when Superman lasers off part of Steppenwolf's horns, which are attached to his head.

This is better than Joss' movie, but not by much. And at least Joss has the excuse of filling in for someone else.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nate Grey View Post
    Seriously isn't that always a thing in Snyder movie threads? lol