Page 62 of 64 FirstFirst ... 125258596061626364 LastLast

So .. ZSJL was only the #3 film now? I expect it to go down more as the year goes along.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Extraordinary Member

Okay, so I finally got around to watching this. It was...adequate...to a point. Snyder still has no grasp of Superman or his mythos and the guy just did not know when to end his movie. It would've been so much more bearable if he just knew when to say when already.

That said, there was one particular scene between Barry Allen and Iris West that I thought was actually pretty great. And if I'm remembering correctly, the pop song he used for it was used about 1000x better than how he usually uses pop music in his movies.

Yeah, I know, I was surprised, too.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    Okay, so I finally got around to watching this. It was...adequate...to a point. Snyder still has no grasp of Superman or his mythos and the guy just did not know when to end his movie. It would've been so much more bearable if he just knew when to say when already.

That said, there was one particular scene between Barry Allen and Iris West that I thought was actually pretty great. And if I'm remembering correctly, the pop song he used for it was used about 1000x better than how he usually uses pop music in his movies.

You mean you didn't like four hours of an overstretched, basic plot with minimally interesting characters? I'm shocked!

Anyway, are you talking about that scene where he saves her from a crash?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    You mean you didn't like four hours of an overstretched, basic plot with minimally interesting characters? I'm shocked!

Yep! Like I said, I was surprised. Your mileage may vary, though.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    So .. ZSJL was only the #3 film now? I expect it to go down more as the year goes along.
    ZSJL did fairly well.

It did adequate but nothing spectacular.

For me the Barry/Iris scene competes with Aquaman's aftershave commercial and Wondy being the worst role model to a little girl for the most cringeworthy sequence of the movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    ZSJL did fairly well.

It did adequate but nothing spectacular.
    It did badly. One must consider that it competes with movies that also played in cinemas and still managed to top its HBO Max numbers by a significant margin. Even The Suicide Squad which is ridiculed as a big flop topped ZSJL's streaming numbers, not even considering the millions that watched it in theaters additionally.
    Last edited by chicago_bastard; 08-31-2021 at 02:25 PM.
    Tolstoy will live forever. Some people do. But that's not enough. It's not the length of a life that matters, just the depth of it. The chances we take. The paths we choose. How we go on when our hearts break. Hearts always break and so we bend with our hearts. And we sway. But in the end what matters is that we loved... and lived.

Ultimate Member

Yep! Like I said, I was surprised. Your mileage may vary, though.
    I thought the scene was a little odd

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by chicago_bastard View Post
    For me the Barry/Iris scene competes with Aquaman's aftershave commercial and Wondy being the worst role model to a little girl for the most cringeworthy sequence of the movie.
    Hmm...I think you may be willfully blocking out nearly every scene with Superman, but I'm in no position to tell anyone how to feel (and I wouldn't be able to blame you, anyway).

But seriously, though, wasn't Superman just awful here? Like this just cements that Snyder doesn't have a clue about the character. And I did find it telling that when Supes returned from the dead he was wearing that edge lord black costume, but when he was evil at the end he was wearing the familiar red & blue. It's like Snyder's trying to tell us how he really feels about Supes' heroism here (and none too subtly, either).

Hmm...I think you may be willfully blocking out nearly every scene with Superman, but I'm in no position to tell anyone how to feel (and I wouldn't be able to blame you, anyway).

But seriously, though, wasn't Superman just awful here? Like this just cements that Snyder doesn't have a clue about the character. And I did find it telling that when Supes returned from the dead he was wearing that edge lord black costume, but when he was evil at the end he was wearing the familiar red & blue. It's like Snyder's trying to tell us how he really feels about Supes' heroism here (and none too subtly, either).
    After two previous efforts I didn't expect Snyder to suddenly do Supes justice in this one. It's sad that the most accurate Superman scenes in the DCEU were diminished by the mustache remove failure.
    Tolstoy will live forever. Some people do. But that's not enough. It's not the length of a life that matters, just the depth of it. The chances we take. The paths we choose. How we go on when our hearts break. Hearts always break and so we bend with our hearts. And we sway. But in the end what matters is that we loved... and lived.

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    AKA, "the creepy hot dog scene?" The one where Barry stares at Iris while she's frozen in mortal danger surrounded by floating hot dogs but he's moving so fast she has no idea that he's even there? Snyder's such a romantic... That scene did make me laugh, so that's something.
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 08-31-2021 at 07:18 PM.

The funny thing is- from what I've read- Cavil never actually wore the black suit on set. He was always in the red and blue suit, and Snyder changed it in post for this cut. And I did find it odd that, when he was evil, he was wearing the red and blues.

I really liked this version, but there were two things that really bugged me, and you've mentioned both of them.

First- the extended ending. I know this was his cut, and this was what he had wanted to do originally- build to the sequel that was originally planned. But that movie will never be made. No matter how much the internet fanboys whine and complain, they will never get that movie. So there was no reason to include the Knightmare II scene. It was long, it was plodding, it solidified the fact that Jared Leto was a horrid, horrid Joker. It should have been cut. And J'onn appearance felt odd- like, thanks for showing up and offering to help AFTER the world was nearly destroyed. Just end the movie with the team standing there as the Flying Fox rose into the air. Cut about 20 minutes from the runtime.

Second- the music. While I know this was Snyder's cut, I honestly feel like all of the music choices he made here were really influenced by his daughter's death. Every song used was slow, mournful, and gave no energy to the scene. I'd give the villagers in the Aquaman scene a pass- that could be seen as some traditional song they sing to wish Arthur good luck or something. But the song during the crash with Barry and Iris was a yawner. And that version of Hallelujah was the single WORST version of that song I've ever heard. Plus- that cover of Come Together, that was in the theatrical cut? I really feel it was meant for this cut as well. There are certain parts of the score that kind of call back to that, but it's never played.

Ultimate Member

Snyder doesn't do subtle from what I've seen. But Superman not talking to any other superheroes before the very end with Bruce annoyed me. He's the founder of the JL for crying out loud!

After two previous efforts I didn't expect Snyder to suddenly do Supes justice in this one. It's sad that the most accurate Superman scenes in the DCEU were diminished by the mustache remove failure.
    Are you referring to the scene where he's talking to the fan at the beginning of the Whedon cut?

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    AKA, "the creepy hot dog scene?" The one where Barry stares at Iris while she's frozen in mortal danger surrounded by floating hot dogs but he's moving so fast she has no idea that he's even there? Snyder's such a romantic... That scene did make me laugh, so that's something.
    I cringed a bit at that scene. But I'm not super into this version of Barry. Maybe the next movie will improve him

Didn't see the movie, but, from what I've head, they took out pretty much everything I liked in the theatrical version.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    and J'onn appearance felt odd- like, thanks for showing up and offering to help AFTER the world was nearly destroyed. Just end the movie with the team standing there as the Flying Fox rose into the air. Cut about 20 minutes from the runtime.
    If I'm understanding this correctly, ZS actually filmed that with John Stewart, he even had someone cast in the role and everything (Wayne T. Carr). WB/AT&T, despite giving him a lot of latitude, put their foot down with that and that alone. So J'onn appearing instead is what ZS came up with as not to ditch the scene entirely (I'm guessing Bruce's words were identical in both versions ZS simply changed who he was talking to).

I remember saying J'onn needed only one scene, and I believe the scene with Lois was enough. Showing up at the end does beg the question "WTF were you when they were fighting Zod and Doomsday?" John gets more latitude being an intergalactic cop (unlike J'onn he's not necessarily on Earth the majority of the time), plus the GLs were at least seen in the Uxas fight, so it would have been a nice bookend.

Why WB/AT&T said no, since the whole movie is a "cinematic cul-de-sac", I have no clue. Guess we'll have to wait a little bit longer to see John Stewart on the big screen. But his presence would have made more sense than J'onn's at the end.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Didn't see the movie, but, from what I've head, they took out pretty much everything I liked in the theatrical version.
    That was definitely the case for me, the only things in the theatrical cut I liked were Batman's "save one person" talk with Flash and the 2 minutes at the end where Superman actually acted like Superman.

Also now that I think about it, what is with this movie and WW84 making completely unnecessary costume changes?
    In WW84 the gold armor meant and did nothing and Wonder Woman had no reason to put it on, here the black suit means nothing because Superman has no reason to wear it because they didn't adapt the healing coma.