Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Default X-force 18 spoilers review

so in this we find out that these visions/imagery seems to be mostly focused on the members of x-force, despite how jean is supposed to not be part anymore lol. quentin and phoebe investigate and they find out about it from beast suffering as seems they are trying to get information from him about krakoa stuff. quentin decides he wants to confront it himself as he feels responsible for being the cause of it. also stuff regarding sage where she's forgetting, which might just be the quentin clone or whatever abomination they made removing them or she's facing a major problem like her memory is not actually unlimited.

anyways not actually a lot of progress made here, characters found out about the stuff we already knew last issue and just about to confront right at the very end. having a bit of character reflection on quentin was nice though I guess but still overall I felt this issue was just filler and they should have already done the confrontation in the middle of the issue or even the beginning.

also they really should confirm already which members are really in x-force as well as actually widen the scope of characters they interact. we're still getting jean and piotr focus when they aren't part of the team, meanwhile we rarely see other characters, x-force to me while written well, feels like its very limited in characters.

I really dislike that feeling that Krakoa has been attacked all the time. That makes the mutants seem too reactive all the time. And where the **** are their defenses?

Spectacular Member

also forgot to mention this but I feel like the logan and jean vision should have been on logan's perspective rather than jean. as not only is jean an omega so she should have felt something and not just dismiss it, she's not in x-force anymore while logan is.

Astonishing Member Dante Milton's Avatar

Redeeming Quentin is a fine, if not incredibly original, idea, but he should still retain his basic personality traits. Like, even if he isn't being openly antagonistic, he should still be a snarky shithead, not the weirdly fluffy kid from this issue. I also hate that so much of his wanting redemption is being tied into his relationship with Phoebe.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by ermac View Post
    I really dislike that feeling that Krakoa has been attacked all the time. That makes the mutants seem too reactive all the time. And where the **** are their defenses?
    There is a noticable disconnect between the implied scale of the whole "mutant nation" situation Hickman and co. want to promote and the actual scope of some of the operations which still seem locked in a super hero modus operati.
    Basicly we are still seeing the old super hero comic systems in place, even though they want to convince the readers how it's all bigger and more dramatic in scope, that we shouldn't judge these titles and the current run of stories by super hero comic standards.

Resulting in vital things like counter-intelligence, investigation of mutant deaths and security of international trade being handeled by singular teams of often randomly selected members. All on the spectrum of disfunctional. Which becomes especialy jarring now that SWORD is out and actualy features a large scale organization with members selected specifically for their jobs in said organization.

And X-force in particular follows the old pattern of the X-men being unable to prevent events from happening and only allowed to react to them. Meaning for all their claim of superiority and being untouchable they have been outsmarted the whole series so far (with the only exception being a story in which they actualy caused things to go down the drain thanks to Beast's short sighted pre-emptive actions).
    Last edited by Grunty; 03-18-2021 at 08:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Grunty View Post
    There is a noticable disconnect between the implied scale of the whole "mutant nation" situation Hickman and co. want to promote and the actual scope of some of the operations which still seem locked in a super hero modus operati.
    Basicly we are still seeing the old super hero comic systems in place, even though they want to convince the readers how it's all bigger and more dramatic in scope, that we shouldn't judge these titles by super hero comic standards.

Resulting in vital things like counter-intelligence, investation of mutant deaths and security of international trade being handeled by singular teams of often randomly selected members. Which becomes especialy jarring now that SWORD is out and actualy features a large scale organization with members selected specifically for their jobs in said organization.
    Yeah, it's like S.W.O.R.D. is a professional organisation, and X-Force are still getting decapitated running through portals and acting as bouncers at the Hellfire Gala. They're only like the C.I.A. if the C.I.A. were a loosely organised militia who pick up baseball bats and run over whenever a Russian is spotted on a beach.

Spectacular Member

yeah I believe as I said in previous threads, x-force is supposed to be one of the most important teams, heck it was the only official team recognized back then until scott wanted to bring back the x-men team, but the members and cast feel so very small. also as a team that should be dealing with spying and gathering intel, most of the time feels to me they are just reactionary to whatever threat pops up on the island. that stuff should be on x-men or other books id say, x-force should be out there trying to go after anti-mutant organizations.

I mean seriously, remember when they made a big deal about finding out that mikhail is against them, losing the cerebro sword and there's a potential spy? that plot point got put into the backburner to focus on krakoa tumor for a few issues and now that we're getting back into it somewhat we don't see them having made any steps to deal with what happened.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frobisher View Post
    Yeah, it's like S.W.O.R.D. is a professional organisation, and X-Force are still getting decapitated running through portals and acting as bouncers at the Hellfire Gala. They're only like the C.I.A. if the C.I.A. were a loosely organised militia who pick up baseball bats and run over whenever a Russian is spotted on a beach.
    Pretty much. What ever it's a good or bad comic (which is subjective of course) i would argue it really does not live up to it's premise (mutant nation CIA) or the scope of the current X-men setting.

Well They need things to happen. And many invasions happen outside of x-force

Incredible Member

Yep. An island with so many psychics (with some claiming to be the "most powerful mind on the planet" and somehow there's a psychic attack happening within the island itself and not getting detected. Also, the refusal to use "human technology" to help protect the island seems short-sighted. The island hs been breached several times already, they need to use all the resources/advantages they can get their hands on for active defense.

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

The exchange in the Summer House would have been perfect if Scott had just said "Coming to bed?", so it wasn't clear if he was asking Jean, Logan or both.

Extraordinary Member Master of Sound's Avatar

Phoebe is breaking out as a unique Cuckoo....
    "COURAGE, DON'T YOU DARE LET ME DOWN"
    ==================================================
    ==================================================

Astonishing Member Su_Whisterfield's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny X-Man View Post
    The exchange in the Summer House would have been perfect if Scott had just said "Coming to bed?", so it wasn't clear if he was asking Jean, Logan or both.
    Oh, that would have been so funny!

People used to critique how the mansion was under constant attack. Krakoa doesn't seem any better off.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny X-Man View Post
    This.

The X-line haven't been very subtle about the arrangement but at this point I kinda just want them to come out and say it.