View Poll Results: Is Bobby Drake AKA Iceman a Frost Giant?

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

5 15.15%
  • No

29 87.88%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Savage Avengers #18-19 *spoilers* Maybe an Iceman Retcon?

So about Bobby IDK if this has been alluded too in the past, but dude from Savage Avengers (Conan I think) kind of went loco called him a frost Giant, descendant of Ymir and all that shit, then tried to kill him. Bobby being omega level pulled himself together so to speak & expressed how he was sick of humans trying to kill them and blah blah usual oppressed mutant story, Anyways dude (Conan) again seems to be hammering this story about Bobby being a frost giant not a "Man" and he needs to own it and all that shit. This is also a KIB tie(I know eye roll) so Bobby pretty much sacrificed himself to save the group from knull in an "epic" display of power. And that's pretty much the end.

IDK if this is gonna go anywhere Bobby's main writer in Marauders barely uses him at all so I doubt it. I have to say though with this & the Phoenix mess by Aaron I don't get why all these writers feel the need to change X-Men lore. That being said this isn't the first time someone called Bobby a frost giant, Thor seemed kinda insistent on that fact as well when Bobby had that pre-coming out life crisis & froze the earth (killed/maimed hella people but we don't talk about that) plus the fact theirs a version of him that lived to be centuries old & frost giants (like Loki) are pretty much immortal so I guess the details add up.

IDK like I said I doubt this will go anywhere but there are the details what y'all think.

Edit. Been brought to my attention Savage Avengers & Marauders have the same writer so maybe their will be payoff.
    Last edited by Journey; 03-25-2021 at 06:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Journey View Post
    So about Bobby IDK if this has been alluded too in the past, but dude from Savage Avengers (Conan I think) kind of went loco called him a frost Giant, descendant of Ymir and all that shit, then tried to kill him. Bobby being omega level pulled himself together so to speak & expressed how he was sick of humans trying to kill them and blah blah usual oppressed mutant story, Anyways dude (Conan) again seems to be hammering this story about Bobby being a frost giant not a "Man" and he needs to own it and all that shit. This is also a KIB tie(I know eye roll) so Bobby pretty much sacrificed himself to save the group from knull in an "epic" display of power. And that's pretty much the end.

IDK if this is gonna go anywhere Bobby's main writer in Marauders barely uses him at all so I doubt it. I have to say though with this & the Phoenix mess by Aaron I don't get why all these writers feel the need to change X-Men lore. That being said this isn't the first time someone called Bobby a frost giant, Thor seemed kinda insistent on that fact as well when Bobby had that pre-coming out life crisis & froze the earth (killed/maimed hella people but we don't talk about that) plus the fact theirs a version of him that lived to be centuries old & frost giants (like Loki) are pretty much immortal so I guess the details add up.

IDK like I said I doubt this will go anywhere but there are the details what y'all think.
    It has been hinted at several times if i remember correctly. In the sina grace future he was pretty much one, then in one of the uncanny x-force stories i believe. so while not a frost giant have frost giant dna, i mean odin was banging cavewoman phoenixes so not out of the realm of possibility. But he can be both part frost giant and mutant.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Astonishing Member

In fairness, Ymir had a lot of kids from sweating

He can use krakoan portals, he registers on cerebro, anti mutant technology works on him..... seems like a mutant to me!
    Ommadon: “By summoning all the dark powers I will infest the spirit of man So that he uses his science and logic to destroy himself. Greed and avarice shall prevail, and those who do not hear my words shall pay the price. I'll teach man to use his machines, I'll show him what distorted science can give birth to. I'll teach him to fly like a fairy, and I'll give him the ultimate answer to all his science can ask. And the world will be free for my magic again.”

Is the writer of Marauders not the same writer as that in Savage Avengers

Couldn't it just be Conan not knowing anything other than Frost Giants and his lack of knowledge about mutant biology

Astonishing Member

Every now and again writers seem determinded to make certain characters more special than they allready are, by revealing they are actualy something else or originate from something important. All so they can be placed above the "common" examples of their kinds.

Just look at all the back and forth going on with Storm and Wolverine and how more special than special they are meant to be.

But there is also, from what i recall, Angel (comes from an ancient tribe of mutants who created the belief in angels), Nightcrawler (Mystiques son, comming from an ancient tribe of mutants who created the belief in demons), Collosus, Magik and Mikhail (descendants of Grigori Rasputin), Polaris (Magneto's daughter), Chamber and Blink (descendants of Apocalypse), Pixie (daughter of Master Mind and a half fairy) and maybe some more i'm forgetting.

Though of course this is a common narrative twist going on around in many long lasting franchises. We currently also have it in Avengers with the forced reveal that Thor is actualy the son of the phoenix force.

Likewise Doctor Who recently revealed the titular Doctor isn't just a common Timelord but the CHILD OF TIME, the most mysterious and important being in time or something.

Most of the time these don't stick, gets retconned out again, downplayed or just plainly ignored. Because they usualy make things just more complicated for the writers or feel too forced.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by ExodusCloak View Post
    Yes, which hopefully means Iceman has a big story coming up in Marauders.

Most of the time these don't stick, gets retconned out again, downplayed or just plainly ignored. Because they usualy make things just more complicated for the writers or feel too forced.
    This doesn't apply to this. This is not a retcon since it has been brought up more than once before. Nor is it forced to think that an Omega level mutant might have some alien DNA in him as well.

I hope Duggan follows up on this.

Quote Originally Posted by ExodusCloak View Post
    Oh I ain't know that neat maybe this will payoff

Quote Originally Posted by Outburstz View Post
    Couldn't it just be Conan not knowing anything other than Frost Giants and his lack of knowledge about mutant biology
    This right here. I feel he is just insistent because he has a limited scope of knowledge.

Astonishing Member Dante Milton's Avatar

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's just because that's those characters' only frame of reference for people with ice powers. Bobby isn't a frost giant. If the Drakes weren't his biological parents, and could blame Bobby's otherness on someone other than themselves, they wouldn't have stayed quiet about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dante Milton View Post
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's just because that's those characters' only frame of reference for people with ice powers. Bobby isn't a frost giant. If the Drakes weren't his biological parents, and could blame Bobby's otherness on someone other than themselves, they wouldn't have stayed quiet about it.
    To be fair the Drake's have come a long way.

Quote Originally Posted by Outburstz View Post
    i thinks that's exactly the case lol
    Emma is the opposite of a devourer
    She's A Lifebringer

The writer of Savage Avengers is also the writer not using Bobby in Marauders. But I slightly remember something mentioned before about Bobby being a descendant of Ymir.

Astonishing Member gonnagiveittoya's Avatar

That'd be an interesting angle. Theyve mentioned a couple times how mutants aren't just Krakoan, it'd be nice if that were explored more in depth