Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mad Hatter(s)

Default Mad Hatter(s)

The Mad Hatter first appeared in Batman #49 (October-November 1948) in a story that also introduced Vicki Vale.

But the next time Batman and Robin encountered a "Mad Hatter", he didn't look anything like the one from back in 1948.
    From Detective Comics #230 (April 1956):

This was the version of the Mad Hatter that was in new Batman stories through the 1970s.
    However, in the early 1980s, someone closer to the original 1940s vewrsion returned.

And from Who's Who: The Definitive Directory of the DC Universe Vol. XIV (April 1986),

Mad Hatter appeared in one of my favorite episodes of BTAS

Astonishing Member signalman112's Avatar

First MAD HATTER story I ever read was in BATMAN #297. Cover by Jim Aparo.

Batman297.jpg

Mad Hatter wigs me out more than any of the other rogues. I'm such a rogue fan and I generally can find something to like about any rogue, but I can't deal with Tetch. I don't know if it's the pedophilia undertones, the mindrape stuff, or what. Apparently Paul Dini based his BTAS episode on a Silicon Valley guy who developed an obsessive crush on a coworker and then shot up his workplace. Back when that kind of thing was unusual.

In some respects I think he's almost the most realistic of Batman's campier supervillains. Which makes him scarier.

Incredible Member

The existence of a Mad Hatter imposter (his name is Jarvis Trent F.Y.I. according to Dark Detective) is one of the most bizarre and under-utilized aspects of the Batman mythos, especially since he apparently made a few early post-Crisis appearances, as Jervis Tetch (Detective 573, confirmed in the appendix of a Who's Who at the time - can't remember which) before being forgotten. It's so awesome that Morrison brought him back but I would love for someone to just go balls-to-the-wall and dig into the hows and whys of there being two f*cking Mad Hatters. Would make for a killer story.

Quote Originally Posted by PurpleGlovez View Post
    I would love for someone to just go balls-to-the-wall and dig into the hows and whys of there being two f*cking Mad Hatters. Would make for a killer story.
    Hey, it worked for three jokers so anything is possible.
    "Kids don't care **** about superhero comic books. And if they do, they probably start with manga, with One Punch-Man or My Hero Academia. " -ImOctavius.

Astonishing Member

The existence of a Mad Hatter imposter (his name is Jarvis Trent F.Y.I. according to Dark Detective) is one of the most bizarre and under-utilized aspects of the Batman mythos, especially since he apparently made a few early post-Crisis appearances, as Jervis Tetch (Detective 573, confirmed in the appendix of a Who's Who at the time - can't remember which) before being forgotten. It's so awesome that Morrison brought him back but I would love for someone to just go balls-to-the-wall and dig into the hows and whys of there being two f*cking Mad Hatters. Would make for a killer story.
    Actually, the imposter goes by the name Hatman now, I think. I'm not joking.

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Rödney View Post
    Hey, it worked for three jokers so anything is possible.
    If you read Three Jokers, it didn't actually "work".
    Lovely art, but lame-as-hell, waste-of-time-and-$'s story.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    If you read Three Jokers, it didn't actually "work".
    Lovely art, but lame-as-hell, waste-of-time-and-$'s story.
    I didn't feel the same way, it was interesting to me. But, y'know, different strokes for different folks.
    "Kids don't care **** about superhero comic books. And if they do, they probably start with manga, with One Punch-Man or My Hero Academia. " -ImOctavius.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

The big teeth version seems to be the agreed upon look
    That moustache look can be pretty dated

If you bought a box of Kellogg's Cereal in the late 60's you might have received a Batman: Mad Hatter mini comic.

KelloggsMadHatter.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by signalman112 View Post
    If you bought a box of Kellogg's Cereal in the late 60's you might have received a Batman: Mad Hatter mini comic.

I think they might have also included them in boxes of Pop-Tarts® (and possibly even Danish Go-Rounds).

I can actually see as a fun recurring bit, Jervis saying he killed the imposter every time he appears only for the imposter to turn back up again claiming to be Jervis a few stories alter.

As for the visuals, I've never really liked Mad Hatter as a midget with an oversized head and I really HATE when people write his "dialogue" as just him nonsensically repeating lines from the book or saying nothing but nursery rhymes .

May favorite look for the guy was the animated series.

Drawing of the BATMAN 66 Mad Hatter, David Wayne.

DWayneMadHatter.jpg

from Detective Comics #566 (September 1986)