Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewCrossett View Post
    Yeah... he was the one with the crooked teeth. He and Colonna had similar styles. Colonna got parodied a lot in the Looney Tunes too. But Red Skelton was probably the single most "borrowed from" comedian when it came to gags in those cartoons.
    That's right! "If I dood it, I get a whuppen...I dood it!" Also, Skelton supposedly sent his lawyers after Jay Ward because Bullwinkle sounded too much like Clem Kadiddlehopper...I think Ward was able to prove Skelton lifted the Clem voice from someone else.

I always liked Bugs Bunny doing Liberace...:

“I wish my brother George was here”.

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

Now I'm scared. Since I started posting in this thread, the "Hollywood Steps Out" cartoon has started showing up at the top of my YouTube recommendations.

Voice actor Daws Butler used the same voice for both Snagglepuss and The Funky Phantom...

...right down to the repetitive “even”.

That voice was based on Bert Lahr, the Cowardly Lion in 1939’s The Wizard of Oz.

Mighty Member

A correction on my last post: Skelton thought about suing Bill Scott (Bulwinkle's voice), not Jay Ward. There was no mention of Skelton lifting Clem Kadiddlhopper's voice from someone else in the articles on the web...more likely, I'm thinking of the Foghorn Leghorn-Senator Claghorn "controversy".

“Don't You Believe It!” was an American radio program from the 30s and early 40s.
    It would introduce interesting facts and trivia and debunk myths and misconceptions of the time.
    It’s tagline was a droning voice saying, you guessed it, don’t you believe it.

I remember that line from Tom & Jerry...

And it was used in a Bugs Bunny short, too.

Years ago while watching a really old Simpsons ep. I had to explain to my kids that Homer’s voice was different because he was originally made to sound like Walter Matthau.

I then had to explain who Walter Matthau was.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewCrossett View Post
    Now I'm scared. Since I started posting in this thread, the "Hollywood Steps Out" cartoon has started showing up at the top of my YouTube recommendations.
    Big Brother is watching you.

The 80s and 90s had a bunch of celebrity-based toons, some of which were OK, others pretty awful.

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.p...CelebrityToons
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Retired

If you ever have seven minutes to spare, you should watch the 1933 cartoon BETTY BOOP IN SNOW WHITE from the Fleischer Studios. Betty Boop herself was partly based on Helen Kane, maybe also Clara Bow, and voiced by some different women in that Helen Kane style (sorta sounded like early Madonna), but in SNOW WHITE she's voiced by Mae Questel. The cartoon features Cab Calloway's recording of "St. James Infirmary Blues" through the character of Koko the Clown--a regular in Betty Boop cartoons--and rotoscoped from Cab Calloway's moves.

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    If you ever have seven minutes to spare, you should watch the 1933 cartoon BETTY BOOP IN SNOW WHITE from the Fleischer Studios. Betty Boop herself was partly based on Helen Kane, maybe also Clara Bow, and voiced by some different women in that Helen Kane style (sorta sounded like early Madonna), but in SNOW WHITE she's voiced by Mae Questel. The cartoon features Cab Calloway's recording of "St. James Infirmary Blues" through the character of Koko the Clown--a regular in Betty Boop cartoons--and rotoscoped from Cab Calloway's moves.
    I remember that one... it was the only Betty Boop cartoon made in color IIRC. Or was that the Cinderella one?

The Fleischer cartoons were by far the hippest of the era in terms of the music they used. They used a lot of stuff by black jazz musicians that the other studios wouldn't touch.