Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Titan Theo View Post
    Well, WW being thrown under the bus for the "other two" is a matter of story writing but I get you.
    Yes, and the less tools the hacks DC hires to pen these stories have at their disposal to justify their bad stories, the better.
    Last edited by Gaius; 03-20-2021 at 07:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think there's a difference between a war setting and the museum scene.

This reminds me of watching some clips of that upcoming JSA animated movie where Diana's fighting Nazi's and seems to be dealing with them non-lethally (Nazi's!).
    I'm actually more sympathetic to the German soldiers than these terrorists, I'm sure a lot of them were conscripts. The funny thing is, WW killing Steppenwolf is probably a worst example, since that guys death was punitive. He had already been beaten and was being sent away. I guess because he's an alien he doesn't have a soul...

That being said, I think the topic about WW killing people is needlessly purity testing. The idea that Wonder Woman occasionally kills people is something that exists in the culture. One of the few comic book media accounts I follow is Comic Tropes and he listed Wonder Woman: Dead Earth as one of his favourite comic books last year, saying its a good characterization of the Wonder Woman, particularly her willingness to kill.
    Last edited by Pinsir; 03-20-2021 at 10:44 PM.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    That being said, I think the topic about WW killing people is needlessly purity testing. The idea that Wonder Woman occasionally kills people is something that exists in the culture. One of the few comic book media accounts I follow is Comic Tropes and he listed Wonder Woman: Dead Earth as one of his favourite comic books last year, saying its a good characterization of the Wonder Woman, particularly her willingness to kill.
    It's something the fandom seems to keep debating for one reason or another, especially when writers lean too hard on the "warrior woman" persona.

Diana kills but only in extreme circumstances which would warrant that kind of action. The moment with Maxwell Lord works because it revealed to us something about the character and she put herself on trial for it too. The problem is this extreme polarized thinking, just because she is willing to kill people take her for some Punisher-lite who snaps necks for fun and if you speak out against it, you want the terrorists to win and murder school children. There is no middle ground.

I've seen the same thing happen with Kiyoshi in Avatar: The Last Airbender. In the show, she let Ching the Conqueror die in a 'I won't kill you but I won't save you' kind of situation, now fandom treats her a bloodthirsty monster who kills for fun. In the show itself, Ching's already conquered half the peninsula yet her first step was to give him a warning, then in their fight she strips him of his clothing, then she should rather move the continent itself rather than just fighting the whole army herself and lets him fall to his death. It's not that different from how Diana would have handled it but fandom turned it into a meme.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mistah K88 View Post

Some compare/contrasts are in order! When I saw blood from when she flung that man’s head into the wall I was like “goodness!”. Maybe I’m too sensitive, but jeez!
    The comments on this make me thinK that the Brutal Wonder Woman is now what mainstream thinks is the real WW.

Fantastic Member

I totally agree...only the blowing up the terrorist was overkill with her bracelet

However, if I were WW, I would NOT be arrogant enough to think that I could block all those bullets with at least 6 terrorists firing at the children and firing at me from different angles. There's always a risk that children could be killed, so too bad for the terrorists for all I care; the last thing I would worry about is their lives.

Now they want to re-write the scenario wherein the hostage takers is not black and white evil, then perhaps. This scenario for me and her fight scenes (except for the lame WW vs. Superman portrayal), except for the blow up of the head terrorist, is better than the entire WW84 movie for me. But to each his own. I like elements of all. Hardcore fans may not agree, but this part of her will stay as it is popular, but I'm not definitely opposed to seeing her use more discretion on less dire situations for sure.
    Last edited by Titan Theo; 03-21-2021 at 01:58 PM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    Oh, it should be Wonder Woman Vol 1 #105 She also has a dad named Theno, its the first instance of WW getting her powers from the gods and she helps the Amazons get to Paradise Island using her powers.
    I remember seeing that issue once. The gods visited Hipollyta and one by one blessed baby Diana with "xxx greater than mine". Later, news arrived that all the men had been killed in battle so the women relocated to Paradise Island (I think young Diana may have even pushed the island to its new location).

Astonishing Member WonderLight789's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Titan Theo View Post
    I totally agree...only the blowing up the terrorist was overkill with her bracelet

However, if I were WW, I would NOT be arrogant enough to think that I could block all those bullets with at least 6 terrorists firing at the children and firing at me from different angles. There's always a risk that children could be killed, so too bad for the terrorists for all I care; the last thing I would worry about is their lives.

Now they want to re-write the scenario wherein the hostage takers is not black and white evil, then perhaps. This scenario for me and her fight scenes (except for the lame WW vs. Superman portrayal), except for the blow up of the head terrorist, is better than the entire WW84 movie for me. But to each his own. I like elements of all. Hardcore fans may not agree, but this part of her will stay as it is popular, but I'm not definitely opposed to seeing her use more discretion on less dire situations for sure.
    With her super speed she should have no problem with handling that.

Fantastic Member

WW is fast but she is not the flash. First, she does not even know how many terrorists are in the building. There's no way she could block multiple bullets coming from different angles. Look how much effort she put just blocking one automatic rifle when that lone remaining terrorists fired at the children. Yes, if they were all firing at the same direction, yes, but no way in heck she'd block all of these coming from straight, diagonal, multiple directions...that's just tempting fate.

Ultimately, it falls on the fight choreographer and director. As for me, I think if a character can perceive the path of a bullet and move fast enough to intercept them and supposedly has the power of the gods and they don't have an ego or out for bravado like Booster Gold, they can take out a few measeley terrorists with ease without the 'oh no, they were terrorists they gave us no choice but to kill them'. Its not a Maxwell Lord-situation where she literally had no choice but to do the unthinkable to save the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    I'm guessing Zack Snyder is the type of guy that thinks ultra violence in war movies is a way to show the consequences of war. Dumbest argument ever. If most kids can come out of your movie being psyched by the brutality of those actions then you clearly didn't make a movie that speaks to the nature of violence.
    Add to that, Diana's Patron is Athena. Whike Goddess of War, she is strategic warfare. Planning, strategy. Not just mindless violence and slaughter. That's Ares.

Quote Originally Posted by raidensix View Post
    I remember seeing that issue once. The gods visited Hipollyta and one by one blessed baby Diana with "xxx greater than mine". Later, news arrived that all the men had been killed in battle so the women relocated to Paradise Island (I think young Diana may have even pushed the island to its new location).
    There's a lot of wiggle room in the earky Silver Age continuity.. the Theno stuff is generally forgotten/ relegated to the recyle bin, in favor of the traditional WW mythos.....

Boing Boing Baggies. Baggie_Saiyan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shockingjustice View Post
    The comments on this make me thinK that the Brutal Wonder Woman is now what mainstream thinks is the real WW.
    There is no "real" WW. She is a fictional character open up to many interpretations. Besides after WW84 you can't blame people for wanting more of a warrior WW. That entire film all she did was pine of Trevor she was incredibly lame in that film.
    "Yes...Mondo Cool"- Vegeta.

Quote Originally Posted by Baggie_Saiyan View Post
    There is no "real" WW. She is a fictional character open up to many interpretations. Besides after WW84 you can't blame people for wanting more of a warrior WW. That entire film all she did was pine of Trevor she was incredibly lame in that film.
    Yeah.

Warrior Woman is bad interpretation, no real debate to be had on that.

Astonishing Member WonderLight789's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Baggie_Saiyan View Post
    There is. Because the character has certain traits that have been part of most of her history.

She was incredibly lame in jl too. Being ¨badass¨ by killing humans she far outclasses when it could be avoided, does not qualify as great and powerful in my book. For the most part. She lacked efficiency against the real heavy weights such as steppenwolf and superman.