Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by I'm a Fish View Post
    If your expectations are rock bottom, there's nowhere to go but up right?

That's how I approached this film anyway. And it did have moments I enjoyed.
    Kind of where I'm at, I'm sure there's going to be some stuff I enjoy even if the whole experience may not be my cup of tea.

Retired

I was so happy for Connie Nielsen to see her get so much screen time in this movie. Her performance was one of the surprises and most beloved parts of it for me. I was brought to tears by all the emotions that played across her face. I feel like I got to see more of Hippolyta in this movie than either of the Patty Jenkins movies. That's no shade on Patty, but in the Wonder Woman movies, Hippolyta is mainly playing the concerned mother. Here, we got to see what a straight-up Amazon Queen she really is. I bow to my Queen, Connie Nielsen. Bravo.

Fantastic Member

These terrorists were going to kill people, lots of people. The issue here is whether WW was legally obligated to keep them alive; the sharp shooters would have killed them if they did not have hostages. WW was taking no chances to keep those people alive; they could have shot people at any time; quick action was needed; let us NOT forget that they already killed guards, etc, along the way; they are no less than children. At this stage, negotiation is futile.

Quote Originally Posted by Titan Theo View Post
    These terrorists were going to kill people, lots of people. The issue here is whether WW was legally obligated to keep them alive; the sharp shooters would have killed them if they did not have hostages. WW was taking no chances to keep those people alive; they could have shot people at any time; quick action was needed; let us NOT forget that they already killed guards, etc, along the way; they are no less than children. At this stage, negotiation is futile.
    She can move 1800 mph minimum (the speed of a bullet) she could have swooped in, noticed the situation, disarmed them all, and round them up in the lasso before any of them would know she's in the building.

She's also had 100 years to master her powers at this point, she should know exactly how much force is needed to knock out a human.

The scenario was well explained, even if the motives were still not there besides destruction. Though tbh, I can't tell you number of times this very scene has been played out in hero films and the said hero only incapacitates the villains and leaves them for the police, who were just outside. The question is would people be saying this were it Superman, if he just burst in Homelander style and used his heat vision.
    Zaldrīzes Buzdari Iksos Daor

Problem is, superheroes usually have the power and skill to resolve these issues with minimal violence. In real life where superheroes don't exist, negotiations and perfect non-violent solutions would be out the window and it would be necessary to save the innocents. But this isn't real life.

She doesn't have to negotiate, but this is someone who is "swifter than Mercury" with tools like the lasso. I can't see any scenario where Wonder Woman isn't fast and skilled enough to non-lethally dispatch these terrorists even if they already killed people. This is a cake walk for her. Seeing a superhumans lethally use their powers on human criminals who are severely underpowered in comparison to them isn't heroic, it's nightmarish.

So would you have been fine if Superman showed up and laser-visioned them to death or if Batman showed up packing heat also?

Retired

When I watch a movie, I put aside my own expectations and notions. I try to be immersed in the movie and see what the director is trying to accomplish and what the rules are for that cinematic world. With the previous Snyder movies and only the first Jenkins WONDER WOMAN, in 2017, Snyder is perfectly consistent with the style and the rules of his films. I would be an idiot to expect him to go against his own vision of the characters and the world just to satisfy my own selfish desires for the movie I want to make.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    When I watch a movie, I put aside my own expectations and notions. I try to be immersed in the movie and see what the director is trying to accomplish and what the rules are for that cinematic world. With the previous Snyder movies and only the first Jenkins WONDER WOMAN, in 2017, Snyder is perfectly consistent with the style and the rules of his films. I would be an idiot to expect him to go against his own vision of the characters and the world just to satisfy my own selfish desires for the movie I want to make.
    What matters in the end is not "was this the movie I would have made" but "was this a movie I enjoyed watching." Respecting Snyder's vision and liking his movies are not the same thing.

Edit: Also what are you on about, being "selfish"? I paid him money. We are all paying him money to see his movies, whether we end up liking the movie or not. That's not selfish.
    Last edited by I'm a Fish; 03-19-2021 at 11:17 AM.

It's also a mainstream depiction of Wonder Woman that is going to shape opinions on her, because she hasn't been cemented in pop culture a certain way the same way Superman or Batman have. Wonder Woman being overly lethal is already a sore subject for many of her fans, even ones that accept the better post-COIE takes of her not having a no-kill rule. Perez and Rucka wrote good examples of Wonder Woman killing as a last resort, but this would be needlessly excessive for their Diana.

Though it also apparently shows she doesn't need to have the sword and shield on hand to go wrong...

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by I'm a Fish View Post
    She can move 1800 mph minimum (the speed of a bullet) she could have swooped in, noticed the situation, disarmed them all, and round them up in the lasso before any of them would know she's in the building.

She's also had 100 years to master her powers at this point, she should know exactly how much force is needed to knock out a human.
    I agree. They had to make her forget about her superspeed conveniently (except when blocking the bullets aimed at the kids, obviously) in order to make that scene happen as is.

I will say that given that they made her forget that superspeed could be used for more than chasing bullets, it does make sense to gauntlet blast the guy there since maybe if they do round 2 of bullet-chasing, she misses one.

True, directors can create the rules in their cinematic world as they see fit, but if they didn’t create the IP the world is based on—in fact, the IP has been around since before they were born and has a fanbase that is bringing expectations to the cinematic world based on what they already know and believe about the characters, then those directors who upend those expectations are fair game for critique and criticism. A viewer whose response is “That’s not my Wonder Woman,” is no more selfish than a director saying, “This is my Wonder Woman.”
    “You see…the rest of them are soldiers. But [Wonder Woman] is an artist.”

I only support the made of clay origin.

Finally got through all 4 hours, then went back and watched a few scenes again.... I like that there was more Amazon/Hippoyta.... I liked seeing Diana blocking machine gun fire in real time.... And that's about it...

The runtime is RIDICULOUSLY egregious, considering how many overly looooooong shots we get of Lois walking to the memorial(in slow mo? Why?), or Waterbro staring at the camera menacingly, or showing the ENTIRE expanse of the Icelandic mountains, or (and this scene was MOST puzzling and actually made me burst into laughter) that bizzare scene of the women singing as Waterbro took off...

In all, I'd rate this movie only SLIGHTLY higher than Joss-tice League, but ONLY because of Amazons and bullets and bracelets. I don't like saying overly negative things about artists, but the majority of this movie felt like a pretentious slog.

Praise Athena that WW84 will be out next Tuesday!
    Last edited by rayray1127; 03-19-2021 at 01:07 PM.
    Peace and love to ALL!
    Ray
    **=w=**

Incredible Member

I was so happy for Connie Nielsen to see her get so much screen time in this movie. Her performance was one of the surprises and most beloved parts of it for me. I was brought to tears by all the emotions that played across her face. I feel like I got to see more of Hippolyta in this movie than either of the Patty Jenkins movies. That's no shade on Patty, but in the Wonder Woman movies, Hippolyta is mainly playing the concerned mother. Here, we got to see what a straight-up Amazon Queen she really is. I bow to my Queen, Connie Nielsen. Bravo.
    I agree with all of this. Nielsen was a joy to watch as the fierce but maternal warrior Queen. She sold the **** out of her part and now I really hope WW3 gives her some good stuff to do. Her hair and face when she was shooting Steppenwolf from the ground gave me liiiiife. Gorgeous.

I wish they gave her her girdle though so she could've curb stomped Steppenwolf. Or at least given her a little more direct confrontation with him.

It seemed to me like the Amazons are somewhat stronger than regular humans since a bunch of them held Steppenwolf back for a second. But Hippolyta is Queen and they clearly have mystical items like the God Killer and the Arrow of Artemis and Diana's suit. I'll chalk it up to she didn't have time to bring her A-game gear but she should know better than to leave that thing unguarded by this point...

Quote Originally Posted by mystical41 View Post
    Thank you for the info.
    I just saw a video from BEYOND THE TRAILER that says the funeral scene in Cyborg's vision is tied to Darkseid killing WoWo and not the details from that outline. I don't know which is the right interpretation