Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Orbus View Post
    I'm not saying they are the same or anything. For example Spencer hasn't gone in for frequent cameos and guest stars from other Marvel heroes which permeated Slott's run but almost all his ideas would fit very well in a Slott's run. I was genuinely perplexed when Spencer's run started when people who hated Slott were hyping it up as anti-Slott.
    I dunno. Slott would've never done something like Hunted, at least the way it was handled, in particular because he didn't even want to touch Kraven.

I don't think Slott would've done what Spencer did with Felicia and have her learn Peter's identity again.

Kindred doesn't feel like a Slott thing.

The Boomerang stuff is just building on Spencer's own Superior Foes, same with Beetle.

The stuff with Jonah feels more like building from what Zdarsky did and hearkening to various eras of Spider-Man.

I would say on a general basis, even setting aside the couple thing, Spencer has a better handle on Peter and MJ's voices than Slott generally did.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    ... am I the only one who hates Gog?
    I hate how he's being used more than him himself.

Astonishing Member

I'm not saying they are the same or anything. For example Spencer hasn't gone in for frequent cameos and guest stars from other Marvel heroes which permeated Slott's run but almost all his ideas would fit very well in a Slott's run. I was genuinely perplexed when Spencer's run started when people who hated Slott were hyping it up as anti-Slott.
    What are you talking about? There have been lots of cameos. They just don't talk to Peter because they don't like him right now.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I dunno. Slott would've never done something like Hunted, at least the way it was handled, in particular because he didn't even want to touch Kraven.

I don't think Slott would've done what Spencer did with Felicia and have her learn Peter's identity again.

Kindred doesn't feel like a Slott thing.

The Boomerang stuff is just building on Spencer's own Superior Foes, same with Beetle.
    I said earlier they are not the same. Clearly even in Spencer's lighter stories there are differences in their approach for sure but none of these concepts would feel out of place in Slott's run. He's nowhere the anti-Slott that people built him up as when he first took over the book.

The stuff with Jonah feels more like building from what Zdarsky did and hearkening to various eras of Spider-Man.
    Which Slott also used in his last few storylines.

I would say on a general basis, even setting aside the couple thing, Spencer has a better handle on Peter and MJ's voices than Slott generally did.[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    What are you talking about? There have been lots of cameos. They just don't talk to Peter because they don't like him right now.
    Nowhere near as much as Slott had fifty issues in. Of course that maybe because of Marvel editorial than the writers themselves. During most of Slott's run it seems Spider-Man was a part of the wider Marvel Universe (he was a member of like five different Avenger teams and the Future Foundation) but during Spencer's run there has been a bigger effort to keep him seperate from the rest of the Marvel universe.

I said earlier they are not the same. Clearly even in Spencer's lighter stories there are differences in their approach for sure but none of these concepts would feel out of place in Slott's run. He's nowhere the anti-Slott that people built him up as when he first took over the book.
    Again, I just don't see it as something Slott would've done with his sensibilities or focus. Maybe it seems like something that wouldn't have been out of place in his run, but it still feels different at least in terms of execution and characterization.
    Which Slott also used in his last few storylines.
    Not the way Spencer did, though. At least in my opinion.
    Nowhere near as much as Slott had fifty issues in. Of course that maybe because of Marvel editorial than the writers themselves. During most of Slott's run it seems Spider-Man was a part of the wider Marvel Universe (he was a member of like five different Avenger teams and the Future Foundation) but during Spencer's run there has been a bigger effort to keep him seperate from the rest of the Marvel universe.
    Which I appreciate because it's Spider-Man and not really Marvel Team-Up or "who is going to save Spider-Man's butt this time?"

Astonishing Member

Again, I just don't see it as something Slott would've done with his sensibilities or focus. Maybe it seems like something that wouldn't have been out of place in his run, but it still feels different at least in terms of execution and characterization.

Not the way Spencer did, though. At least in my opinion.

Which I appreciate because it's Spider-Man and not really Marvel Team-Up or "who is going to save Spider-Man's butt this time?"
    I happen to agree. One of my complaints about Slott was Peter seemed like a guest star in Amazing. Superior was a prime example of that. I have always felt the the comic works best when it is a mix of Spider-Man and Peter. Does it mean always 50/50? No it could be 75% Peter and 25% Spider-Man ( or vice versa), but not 90 or 95% Spider-Man ( which to a large extent it was for the decade before Spencer).

Gleason is a good spidey artist

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by irish View Post
    Gleason is a good spidey artist
    Yes, he is.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

World's Greatest Hero blackspidey2099's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NC_Yankee View Post
    I happen to agree. One of my complaints about Slott was Peter seemed like a guest star in Amazing. Superior was a prime example of that. I have always felt the the comic works best when it is a mix of Spider-Man and Peter. Does it mean always 50/50? No it could be 75% Peter and 25% Spider-Man ( or vice versa), but not 90 or 95% Spider-Man ( which to a large extent it was for the decade before Spencer).
    I would say Slott focused a lot more on Peter than Spencer has. For example - it took like a year just to find out whether Peter accepted Doc Connor’s grad school offer, and we’ve only seen him actually be a grad student like 2 or 3 times. On the other hand, we used to see Peter actually doing stuff and interacting with people a lot more in Slott’s run.
    "Anyone can win a fight when the odds are easy! It's when the going's tough - when there seems to be no chance - that's when it counts!" - Spider-Man

Astonishing Member

anyone read the issue, Great stuff, Boomerang stole the show and Gleason is great in art as always, MJ make a appearance and Gleason draws a great MJ like he did 55. some family stuff with the romeo juliet style of Randy and Beetle.

Quote Originally Posted by blackspidey2099 View Post
    I would say Slott focused a lot more on Peter than Spencer has. For example - it took like a year just to find out whether Peter accepted Doc Connor’s grad school offer, and we’ve only seen him actually be a grad student like 2 or 3 times. On the other hand, we used to see Peter actually doing stuff and interacting with people a lot more in Slott’s run.
    I might be mis-remembering but I feel like Peter's interactions in Slott's run just fed more into Spider-Man time than anything else, like the Horizon/Parker Industries stuff.

World's Greatest Hero blackspidey2099's Avatar

I might be mis-remembering but I feel like Peter's interactions in Slott's run just fed more into Spider-Man time than anything else, like the Horizon/Parker Industries stuff.
    I don’t really think Horizon/Parker Industries fed more into Spider-Man time any more than stuff like Peter getting photo assignments from the Bugle that spark a new Spider-Man adventure. I think that’s been a common trope throughout all of Peter’s various jobs, with the possible exception of his teaching job, IIRC. By those measurements I’d say Spencer’s run has been the least balanced, since we haven’t seen Peter do anything in school at all with the exception of working on that one Spider-Man timelines gadget and occasionally working on other gadgets like Gog’s collar. If I’m not mistaken, we saw more of Peter actually being a grad student in other titles like Ghost Spider and even Squirrel Girl than we did in ASM. Even his current job is literally a Spider-Man job, not a Peter job.

I will agree that Slott’s run didn’t focus too much on the classic supporting cast, but I still think we saw more of Peter interacting with various characters outside of superhero-ing in Slott’s run over Spencer’s. In Spencer’s run so far, we’ve hardly seen much of MJ, and we’ve seen even less of May. The other major supporting characters for Spencer’s run are JJJ (who’s been turned more into a Spider-Man side character) and Boomerang who’s a literal super villain. In Slott’s run, Peter had actual coworkers who he interacted with on a semi-regular basis and we definitely saw a lot more of characters like Aunt May, Betty Brant, whoever he was dating (ie. Carlie/MJ/Anna during Superior), Jameson Sr., etc.
    "Anyone can win a fight when the odds are easy! It's when the going's tough - when there seems to be no chance - that's when it counts!" - Spider-Man

Quote Originally Posted by blackspidey2099 View Post
    I don’t really think Horizon/Parker Industries fed more into Spider-Man time any more than stuff like Peter getting photo assignments from the Bugle that spark a new Spider-Man adventure. I think that’s been a common trope throughout all of Peter’s various jobs, with the possible exception of his teaching job, IIRC. By those measurements I’d say Spencer’s run has been the least balanced, since we haven’t seen Peter do anything in school at all with the exception of working on that one Spider-Man timelines gadget and occasionally working on other gadgets like Gog’s collar. If I’m not mistaken, we saw more of Peter actually being a grad student in other titles like Ghost Spider and even Squirrel Girl than we did in ASM. Even his current job is literally a Spider-Man job, not a Peter job.

I will agree that Slott’s run didn’t focus too much on the classic supporting cast, but I still think we saw more of Peter interacting with various characters outside of superhero-ing in Slott’s run over Spencer’s. In Spencer’s run so far, we’ve hardly seen much of MJ, and we’ve seen even less of May. The other major supporting characters for Spencer’s run are JJJ (who’s been turned more into a Spider-Man side character) and Boomerang who’s a literal super villain. In Slott’s run, Peter had actual coworkers who he interacted with on a semi-regular basis and we definitely saw a lot more of characters like Aunt May, Betty Brant, whoever he was dating (ie. Carlie/MJ/Anna during Superior), Jameson Sr., etc.
    It felt like we got more downtime and social interaction with the Bugle than we get with any of those other jobs, along with interpersonal dynamics and sub-plots that weren't always Spider-Man, related, but that's just me. Of course the stuff with Horizon and Parker Industries were kind of absurdist by Spider-Man standards so I feel like that took a little out of it as well.

I definitely think Spencer is struggling to balance supporting characters and plots but I also think he does a much better job at character work than Slott did, which is why people didn't get as invested in either Horizon or Parker Industries.

BANNED

The new issue is technically one of Spencer's best. It's like a switch flipped and Spencer went from having too many standalone plots to becoming a master at balancing subplots and supporting cast in a way we haven't seen since Roger Stern.

spoilers:

-- Everything came together and the parallel panel cutting where Robertson and Tombstone learn simultaneously about their respective children is *chefs kiss*
    -- MJ's cameo was likewise incredibly cute, appearing as Gog's baby-sitter.
    -- Spider-Man's totally competent performance in instantly reigning in Gog via collar is likewise great.
    end of spoilers

Astonishing Member

It felt like we got more downtime and social interaction with the Bugle than we get with any of those other jobs, along with interpersonal dynamics and sub-plots that weren't always Spider-Man, related, but that's just me. Of course the stuff with Horizon and Parker Industries were kind of absurdist by Spider-Man standards so I feel like that took a little out of it as well.

I definitely think Spencer is struggling to balance supporting characters and plots but I also think he does a much better job at character work than Slott did, which is why people didn't get as invested in either Horizon or Parker Industries.
    People always say this and I can never understand what they're saying. By this point Peter's been part of no less than three Intergalactic Wars and have been the vessel two different cosmic entities. What counts as weird by this point?