Superfan Through The Ages BBally's Avatar

Default Pop Culture Evolution #1: Evolution of SUPERMAN

Dave Lee Down Under, who's best known for his Cartoon Evolution videos that chronicle the evolution of iconic cartoon characters, has began a spin off of that titled Pop Culture Evolution centering on iconic pop culture characters and the first character he put the spotlight on for this new series is the Man of Steel himself, Superman.

No matter how many reboots, new origins, reinterpretations or suit redesigns. In the end, he will always be SUPERMAN

Credit for avatar goes to zclark

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

I like how well he dug into the creation of the character, and I never knew that happened with the Filmation stuff.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    I like how well he dug into the creation of the character, and I never knew that happened with the Filmation stuff.
    I'm glad he referenced the Zorro influence.
    No matter how many reboots, new origins, reinterpretations or suit redesigns. In the end, he will always be SUPERMAN

Quote Originally Posted by BBally View Post
    Dave Lee Down Under, who's best known for his Cartoon Evolution videos that chronicle the evolution of iconic cartoon characters, has began a spin off of that titled Pop Culture Evolution centering on iconic pop culture characters and the first character he put the spotlight on for this new series is the Man of Steel himself, Superman.

I thought the early parts got in depth about the character and the rest was interesting but mostly veered completely away from what was happening in the main continuity comics.
    Power with Girl is better.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    I thought the early parts got in depth about the character and the rest was interesting but mostly veered completely away from what was happening in the main continuity comics.
    I wish he went into bit more detail in certain parts like how Ultra-Humanite was Superman's original arch nemesis before Luthor.

I wish he went into bit more detail in certain parts like how Ultra-Humanite was Superman's original arch nemesis before Luthor.
    Yes, I had hoped for more details about the comics. Those Ultra-Humanite stories really surprised me, especially considering the era. But that was before the watered down age of comics I grew up in. The idea of this guy who surgically put his brain into a woman's body, effectively killing her, and seemed to prefer that body, was probably taken by National to be getting just a little too far out there once they realized that this Superman thing might actually last and they wanted it to be more mainstream. I think that's why they went with Lex Luthor as the main villain without giving him certain aspects of the UH. Ironically, it would be no big deal now and the UH, with those aspects of his character intact, became a Powergirl villain. Well, okay, it would be a big deal to some people still.

But that social aspect alone would have been worth spending some time on the UH. But my feeling was the video only dealt with the comics until radio and television started. Then, it was as if the comics ceased to exist except for one or two mentions and then, mostly, ones that pertained to television, movie and radio events.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

what do you know?Superman is a guy in a jeans/tshirt and a man of action at his core.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    Yes, I had hoped for more details about the comics. Those Ultra-Humanite stories really surprised me, especially considering the era. But that was before the watered down age of comics I grew up in. The idea of this guy who surgically put his brain into a woman's body, effectively killing her, and seemed to prefer that body, was probably taken by National to be getting just a little too far out there once they realized that this Superman thing might actually last and they wanted it to be more mainstream. I think that's why they went with Lex Luthor as the main villain without giving him certain aspects of the UH. Ironically, it would be no big deal now and the UH, with those aspects of his character intact, became a Powergirl villain. Well, okay, it would be a big deal to some people still.

But that social aspect alone would have been worth spending some time on the UH. But my feeling was the video only dealt with the comics until radio and television started. Then, it was as if the comics ceased to exist except for one or two mentions and then, mostly, ones that pertained to television, movie and radio events.
    Though I remember the Delores Winters Ultra-Humanite appearing in the Earth 2 "Mr. and Mrs. Superman" series in the Bronze Age then we found out in JSA Classified #20 in 2007 UH preserved the real Delores Winter's brain, keeping her alive. Her mind was later transplanted into another less beautiful body, where she was driven mad and starting having surgeries before eventually abducting other women and taking their bodies, becoming a super-villain using the name Endless Winter.
    Last edited by BBally; 03-25-2021 at 10:15 AM.

Time to bump this thread.

Though I remember the Delores Winters Ultra-Humanite appearing in the Earth 2 "Mr. and Mrs. Superman" series in the Bronze Age then we found out in JSA Classified #20 in 2007 UH preserved the real Delores Winter's brain, keeping her alive. Her mind was later transplanted into another less beautiful body, where she was driven mad and starting having surgeries before eventually abducting other women and taking their bodies, becoming a super-villain using the name Endless Winter.
    I didn't know about that byt good to know that, once the Golden Age became Earth 2, they still did something with it.

Dave just did a Cartoon Evolution spin off of the video, detailing the character's evolution in animated productions.

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    what do you know?Superman is a guy in a jeans/tshirt and a man of action at his core.
    At his core, Superman is an amalgamation of the greatest heroes in fiction.